News   Jul 16, 2024
 253     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 602     2 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Student cards make a different beeping noise when tapped as well.

They can always have some 30-year old fare inspector go undercover as a high school student to catch an adult trying to use student fares. Just like they use 30-year old actors to pass as high school students in the movies.

Student cards make a different beeping noise when tapped as well.

Do they on GO buses? It's amusing, as I just rode the GO bus this morning, and have made a hundred GO bus trips with my card, but I still can't clearly remember; however I am pretty sure that on GO buses the PRESTO machines don't make the noises the machines everywhere else do. They only make one short, low volume, beep noise.

Do they on GO buses? It's amusing, as I just rode the GO bus this morning, and have made a hundred GO bus trips with my card, but I still can't clearly remember; however I am pretty sure that on GO buses the PRESTO machines don't make the noises the machines everywhere else do. They only make one short, low volume, beep noise.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised they don't make the usual Presto sound on GO buses, sometimes when it's loud you don't know if you really tapped on or not. All the other units make that Presto sound..

I always thought the different sound was based on whether you have auto renew on or not. Though I've never paid enough attention either way.

From my experience, drivers are only concerned as to if it goes through or not, not if the concession is valid. I've never seen a GO bus driver ask to see a student ID after a tap. Even on the GO train, when I was at York and tapped my card for the fare inspector, he never asked for my student ID either.

I have been asked for student ID plenty of times during the farecheck, I usually just get out the ID as I see them walking down the aisle.

Wow, that looks great. Like something from 2015, instead of 2005.

The most common complaint I've heard about Presto is that it's confusing to use, so the focus on clean visual design and good UX for the web site is welcome.

Has there been any explanation on what the streetcar/bus rollout is going to look like (I assume they are going line-by-line), and when it will start? Will they be putting transfer machines on busses/streetcars for the migration? Or will the bus system rollout all at once and only streetcars get a transfer printer (or will the driver be handing them out to people who use presto (hence the only front door comment from Byford))

Streetcars will be by the end of this year. I presume installation will be route by route, with spadina coming first.

Presto on buses comes next year and is a lot more fuzzy on details.

Has there been any explanation on what the streetcar/bus rollout is going to look like (I assume they are going line-by-line), and when it will start? Will they be putting transfer machines on busses/streetcars for the migration? Or will the bus system rollout all at once and only streetcars get a transfer printer (or will the driver be handing them out to people who use presto (hence the only front door comment from Byford))
There's detail and schedule at http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Presto_Fare_System/index.jsp

I'd assume that if they don't use the current fare vending machines that issue transfers on the old streetcars, that they'd simply have the operator continue to give out transfers to those that beeped. Ditto for buses.

There's detail and schedule at http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Presto_Fare_System/index.jsp

I'd assume that if they don't use the current fare vending machines that issue transfers on the old streetcars, that they'd simply have the operator continue to give out transfers to those that beeped. Ditto for buses.

Has the TTC determined if (or when) certain subway stations should become fully automated? That is they can reduce staffing since everything can be done automatically.

(machine to buy and load a Presto card, Presto gates, non-gated areas with glass partition to reduce theft, etc)

I was thinking the lower-volume stations (Rosedale, etc) could be electronically monitored to reduce costs. I would actually prefer it to the current monitoring...I feel like a speaker with a professional customer service rep (versus a operator on disability) may even give better service

Has the TTC determined if (or when) certain subway stations should become fully automated? That is they can reduce staffing since everything can be done automatically.

(machine to buy and load a Presto card, Presto gates, non-gated areas with glass partition to reduce theft, etc)

I was thinking the lower-volume stations (Rosedale, etc) could be electronically monitored to reduce costs. I would actually prefer it to the current monitoring...I feel like a speaker with a professional customer service rep (versus a operator on disability) may even give better service
To be comfortable with automated stations, throwing in an ATM would be a plus.

All of Montreal's Metro stations have an ATM in them too, which is quite convenient. Then we need to be able to buy brand new Presto cards (e.g. easy Presto vending machine), in addition to being able to refill using them using cash, coins, paper money, Interac, VISA, and MasterCard, including filling the Presto card with tokens and Metropasses. Just like you can at all of Montreal Metro stations for Opus (you can purchase & refill cards & buy passes to put on the Opus card). Well, except for bill readers.

One huge advantage that Ontario's Presto smartcard system has, that Montreal's Opus smartcard does not have: online refill ability (even if not realtime). Online refill should be made instant for ground-based TTC Presto readers and TTC Presto vending machines (e.g. able to read online balance & immediately put it on a Presto card, bypassing the 24 hour wait).

They have certainly discussed moving "collectors" out of their booths to be more visible and proactive once Presto is fully operational. I have never heard them discuss completely unmanned (un-staffed) stations.

Are there any subway or rail systems which even HAVE unstaffed stations? In New York and Montreal, both systems which heavily rely on smart cards, they still have manned ticket booths at all their stations (or at least the ones I had been in) to sell fares, assist when people have issues with the technology, watch for fare jumpers, etc.

Back