300     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

1621303976490.png

View attachment 320535
This seems to be a sign of Metrolinx learning from previous projects and trying to get ahead of it in the future. Good coordination with utilities will be very important if they plan to continue the rate of expansion they are currently planning.

As someone familiar with the YRT bus network, I have to question how they handled showing these routes. I get the idea is to show where the busses are heading and some major stops, but what are these major stops shown? For the 88 its Promenade Terminal, which is ok, Carville Road... which, ok I guess, and... 15th sideroad?

Uh, yeah, sure, if you say so... (ok ye there is a highschool at this intersection but who would be travelling from Finch Station all the way to some random High School)

Edit: Looks like its some French Catholic Private School which, maybe that makes sense? Like I guess maybe there isn't much on Bathurst Street to show proper stops for but this feels very strange nonetheless.

The City, Metrolinx, TRCA, TTC etc are all trying to coordinate signage. This contract was posted last week and closes on June 15.

Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:the Request for Proposal for the TO360 wayfinding consultant
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A NOTICE OF INTENDED PROCURMENT ONLY. Actual Solicitation will be posted as a Sourcing Event through SAP Ariba in the near future.

To participate in this Solicitation, suppliers must do the following;

1) First be registered with SAP Ariba as a City of Toronto supplier: SAP Ariba

The purpose of this RFP is to select a consultant for wayfinding and cartographic services.

Services are to be provided for the wayfinding programs managed by the City of Toronto's divisions and agencies and Public Bodies that are participating in this RFP (the "Project Partners") including:

a) Toronto 360 Wayfinding Program ("TO360") managed by the Transportation Services Division of the City;

b) Toronto Cycling Wayfinding Program managed by the Transportation Services Division of the City;

c) Toronto Parks & Trails Wayfinding Program ("TP&T") managed by the Parks, Forestry & Recreation Division of the City;

e) Green P Pedestrian Wayfinding Program ("Green P") managed by the Toronto Parking Authority, an agency of the City;

f) TTC Station Wayfinding Program ("TTC") managed by the Toronto Transit Commission, an agency of the City;

g) Regional Transit Wayfinding Harmonization Project managed by Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario.

Please note that Supplier must have a local presence through subcontracting or partnership in order to submit the Proposal.
Issue date:March 12, 2021
ecblank.gif
Closing date:June 15, 2021
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:Attachment

The City, Metrolinx, TRCA, TTC etc are all trying to coordinate signage. This contract was posted last week and closes on June 15.

Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:the Request for Proposal for the TO360 wayfinding consultant
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A NOTICE OF INTENDED PROCURMENT ONLY. Actual Solicitation will be posted as a Sourcing Event through SAP Ariba in the near future.

To participate in this Solicitation, suppliers must do the following;

1) First be registered with SAP Ariba as a City of Toronto supplier: SAP Ariba

The purpose of this RFP is to select a consultant for wayfinding and cartographic services.

Services are to be provided for the wayfinding programs managed by the City of Toronto's divisions and agencies and Public Bodies that are participating in this RFP (the "Project Partners") including:

a) Toronto 360 Wayfinding Program ("TO360") managed by the Transportation Services Division of the City;

b) Toronto Cycling Wayfinding Program managed by the Transportation Services Division of the City;

c) Toronto Parks & Trails Wayfinding Program ("TP&T") managed by the Parks, Forestry & Recreation Division of the City;

e) Green P Pedestrian Wayfinding Program ("Green P") managed by the Toronto Parking Authority, an agency of the City;

f) TTC Station Wayfinding Program ("TTC") managed by the Toronto Transit Commission, an agency of the City;

g) Regional Transit Wayfinding Harmonization Project managed by Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario.

Please note that Supplier must have a local presence through subcontracting or partnership in order to submit the Proposal.
Issue date:March 12, 2021
ecblank.gif
Closing date:June 15, 2021
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:Attachment

I am sure we can come up with a how many agencies does it take to put a sign joke. ;)

AoD

I am sure we can come up with a how many agencies does it take to put a sign joke. ;)

AoD

TO360 isn't even 5 years old................I know the person who worked on the new parks signage/way finding program.............it was only finished.....2-3 years ago.

@#$#@

I'm all for coordination, but these projects are relatively recent and cost $$$ and years of staff time....(it wasn't their only project, but these things do take awhile to get off your desk).....

Could we not have done the coordination 5 years ago before spending all this money?

:rolleyes:

TO360 isn't even 5 years old................I know the person who worked on the new parks signage/way finding program.............it was only finished.....2-3 years ago.

@#$#@

I'm all for coordination, but these projects are relatively recent and cost $$$ and years of staff time....(it wasn't their only project, but these things do take awhile to get off your desk).....

Could we not have done the coordination 5 years ago before spending all this money?

:rolleyes:
The TO360 team are already coordinating aĺl the City agencies' wayfinding and the Parks and TTC new wayfinding uses same software and maping as far as I know This new City tender call seems to be adding in others like Metrolinx. It seems very sensible to me

The TO360 team are already coordinating aĺl the City agencies' wayfinding and the Parks and TTC new wayfinding uses same software and maping as far as I know This new City tender call seems to be adding in others like Metrolinx. It seems very sensible to me

That makes it seem somewhat better.

Though I still would have preferred to see anyone relevant to the longer term discussion in on day 1.

There's also some added complexity insofar as the City elected not to add French............but Mx is mandated to; and will therefore be using it on all new transit lines, indirectly requiring the TTC to do the same.

I happen to support adding French, but again, that would have been good to work out on day 1.

That makes it seem somewhat better.

Though I still would have preferred to see anyone relevant to the longer term discussion in on day 1.

There's also some added complexity insofar as the City elected not to add French............but Mx is mandated to; and will therefore be using it on all new transit lines, indirectly requiring the TTC to do the same.

I happen to support adding French, but again, that would have been good to work out on day 1.
I attended many TO360 sessions and adding other languages was discussed. The decision was to try to use pictograms and clear visual cues to avoid the maps becoming too cluttered. While French is an official language it is far from the most common non-English language in Toronto.

I attended many TO360 sessions and adding other languages was discussed. The decision was to try to use pictograms and clear visual cues to avoid the maps becoming too cluttered. While French is an official language it is far from the most common non-English language in Toronto.

Entirely true; however, Mx is mandated to use French by law; and if you were going to integrate Mx w/TTC; and then that w/the City...........

Back