News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

I wonder what the actual application form look like.

I wonder what the actual application form look like.
Who knows but this is amusing to read.
Screen-Shot-2020-06-08-at-11.16.25-AM-600x544.png

Or lets not.

That's boring.

The Americans often do that with schools too. "I went to PS #88!" Ugh.

They also number their congressional districts.

Terribly tedious.

You can do both, have a street number as well as retain the street name

The numbering still lets you know where you are relative to other streets in a grid system

Cherry-picking a single street seems like a token gesture anyway. What about George street which would have been a reference to King George III who oversaw roughly 1.6million slaves transported out of Africa into Britain? King Street (named for the same)?

Also a fun fact, Jarvis street is named after someone who by today's standards would have been convicted of 1st degree murder; they held a proper duel so he was acquitted despite it not really being legal.

The same petition was raised about 4 years ago with respect to Jarvis. There are plenty of other streets in the City that commemorate people who owned slaves, expressed pro-slavery viewpoints, aided and abetted discriminatory practices, etc. There is simply no way to extricate all that history without a huge expense of changing signs, updating mailing data, emergency service databases, etc. I wonder if the advocates would agree to leaving the street names alone but spending the same amount to fund more youth centers, community programs, etc.... much more traction to use the money that way, symbollism or not.

Dundas is the worst possible street to choose because it is so long. Will it be renamed all the way to Windsor?

There is also Sam McBride - who was so toxic a mayor that he made the Fords look milktoasty. Good thing ML doesn't run the ferry service.

- Paul

There isn't really much of a point to changing the name. Most people don't know what the name is even a reference to, and most people don't want to get used to calling a street by a different name over trifling details.

There isn't really much of a point to changing the name. Most people don't know what the name is even a reference to, and most people don't want to get used to calling a street by a different name over trifling details.

I tend to agree. Following the same line of thinking you would also need to change the name of Dundas, Ontario

RFI-2020-PVMD-058: Provision of Ticket Vending Machines

Metrolinx is issuing this Request for Information (RFI) to get an understanding of the market regarding an upcoming RFP. The scope is around 240 ticket vending machines that are used at 66 stations and 15 bus terminals, and select Park & Rides, over 15,000km2. As part of the expansion projects, the objective is to provide devices for new stations as well.

Agenda for the June 25, 2020 meeting is up.

Nothing too exciting, that I could see on a quick skim.

LSE Corridor detailed design for 4th track is apparently done. (completed in February)

In the Business Plan for 2020-2021 there are continued commitments to service improvement, but as per the norm there are mostly amorphous/non-specific.

Does look like ON-Corr will go ahead in the not too distant future (as noted above by @urbanyimby ), but again lots of vagaries.

Last edited:
Agenda for the June 25, 2020 meeting is up.

Nothing too exciting, that I could see on a quick skim.

LSE Corridor detailed design for 4th track is apparently done. (completed in February)

In the Business Plan for 2020-2021 there are continued commitments to service improvement, but as per the norm there are mostly amorphous/non-specific.

Does look like ON-Corr will go ahead in the not too distant future (as noted above by @urbanyimby ), but again lots of vagaries.

I couldn't find anything much to comment on. Happily, nothing major appears to have fallen off the table.

I was encouraged to see that there was little fiddling with baseline numbers for capital programs... the budgets are +/- a few million from the last Capital Projects report. Substantial spending since the last report is reported. As usual there is no metric as to whether that spending got the intended results and/or whether there were variances (time or cost) from plan. Target completion dates are scarce.

What's incredible is just how much work is expended (and how much time is used up) just to get the capital packages through procurement. Apart from the desire to use P3, the need to organize work into digestable packages that can be put to tender and attract qualified bidders certainly seems to have affected the pace of procurement.

- Paul

Back