News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

@Tigermaster et al, evidence is in bad place all over, not just in Toronto planning.

1. "Obama wired Trump Tower." Donald Trump. 100% false.
2. Brexit will have no consequences or downside. False I believe if you can think critically and aren't in a coma.
3. Vaccines cause autism. Proven falsehood.
4. Dinosaurs walked the earth with Adam and Eve. Has anyone here ever seen a Creationism textbook?

In many parts of life, strongly held beliefs and opinions are masquerading as facts or allowing charismatic or loud voices to distort or deny facts. Somehow, in this very modern age, reason, science and enlightenment are in short supply. Toronto planning is just our local version of this troublesome issue.

Some updates on the Kirby and Lawrence East GO projects, Metrolinx will now conduct a "review" of these two stations:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...ough-review-of-controversial-go-stations.html

Lets hope the review uses proper studies that take into account the role of GO RER (express trains from the suburbs and the quick acceleration times of EMU trains in the all-stop downtown stations) and possible fare structure scenarios this time around.

I realize nothing is set in stone yet but the study is looking at the future, and thus should look at several options, saying "with express trains that bypass all stations downtown, the effect of Kirby GO on travel times is such and such" and "with electric EMU's the effect of Lawrence East GO station on travel times is such and such" and "if a fare model of zones, or TTC discount or whatever is used, ridership modelling for Lawrence East GO changes to such and such"

Some updates on the Kirby and Lawrence East GO projects, Metrolinx will now conduct a "review" of these two stations:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...ough-review-of-controversial-go-stations.html

Why do we need another review? ML already did their review and determined the stations weren't needed

The minister said the important thing is that Metrolinx won’t move forward with the stops unless further analysis determines they’re warranted.

L O L

Why do we need another review? ML already did their review and determined the stations weren't needed

Because that original review assumed that Go Transit service will remain exactly as it currently is and ignored the effect of things like electrification and fare integration possibilities. That's a really, really stupid way to assess the feasibility of these stops, especially the one at Lawrence East.

The current studies were a farce. Parallel projects should be considered.

The conclusion might be the same but surely Metrolinx should be considering RER, their fare integration study, and potential TTC feeder service (TTC can't commit until city council funds it; Metrolinx assumed that means NO; study both with and without).

I'd like to see "Not useful with peak-only diesel service", "Not useful with RER type service", "Not useful with TTC fare integration", "Not useful with TTC feeder bus service".

Or "Useful with TTC feeder bus service, have Toronto Council confirm this will be funded prior to construction".

Last edited:
While it doesn't guarantee that things won't happen behind closed doors, this is a constructive step and at least may help answer many of the questions that get asked (and speculated about) on UT

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...ransparency-after-go-station-controversy.html

- Paul

As far as I'm concerned, the credibility of MX itself is shot. The most damning thing they did in this controversy was to water down the crucial language against Kirby and Lawrence East, once Del Duca told them he'd be moving forward with the stations anyways. How are we supposed to trust any of the recommendations coming out the agency now?

"Arms-length agency", my ass.

As far as I'm concerned, the credibility of MX itself is shot. The most damning thing they did in this controversy was to water down the crucial language against Kirby and Lawrence East, once Del Duca told them he'd be moving forward with the stations anyways. How are we supposed to trust any of the recommendations coming out the agency now?

"Arms-length agency", my ass.
Their behaviour surprised you? Seemed like more if the same to me.

upload_2017-9-15_10-15-53.png

The mind boggles. Perhaps they should replace buses with something that isn't going to get stuck behind parked cars. :)

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-15_10-15-53.png
    upload_2017-9-15_10-15-53.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 504
This is a weird question, but why do GO buses smell like airplanes? The air I breath on the bus sometimes make my head hurt and sometimes I get ear pops. These are things I experience on an airplane, but why do they happen on the GO bus? This happens on both single and double decker GO buses (not TTC nor YRT/Viva though).

This is a weird question, but why do GO buses smell like airplanes? The air I breath on the bus sometimes make my head hurt and sometimes I get ear pops. These are things I experience on an airplane, but why do they happen on the GO bus? This happens on both single and double decker GO buses (not TTC nor YRT/Viva though).

I've been noticing that when stuck behind modern buses on roads as well. I wonder if there's something about Tier IV diesels that makes them smell more, even while polluting less?

Back