570     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 713     1 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

1682536758450.png

Have we ever been shown this before? Future-looking GO bus map

There needs to be bus only lanes on the 400 series of highways, including the QEW for the GO buses. Allowing use by the local bus lines and school buses.
MTO will not allow it as their mandate was moving traffic and not taking land and lanes from them for transit. This was stated a few years ago at a meeting at MTO Downsview office and that policy may have been change since then. They want vehicles passing x spots every 3 seconds where transit will be far more than that.

Buses can use the HOV lanes, then doing cross lanes transferring to get off the hwy for a stop.

Looks like Metrolinx has posted an Initial Business Case for Highway 7/Concord GO on the Barrie Line. Dated March 2023.

Highway 7/Concord GO Station - Initial Business Case
image.png

I do not like where this station is located... at all, and it comes down to one simple reason: Regional GO busses.

Tell me, how are GO busses meant to serve this station? I guess they could get off at Dufferin/Keele and make their way to the station, but that'll be extremely slow. Now it seems like Metrolinx realized this, and as such only 2/6 GO busses along the corridor will service the station, but this feels like more of a bandaid than an actual fix. The Barrie Line is going to be one of the most important transit lines in the region, and relegating it to a bunch of local go bus routes seems extremely shortsighted, it'll arguably be a lot more useful than Highway 407 for what its worth.

Here's an idea, why not instead build the GO station on the south side of Highway 7, that way you can build some curbside bus stops along the 407 that GO busses can serve directly that would allow pedestrians to only need a short 2m walk to reach the GO station, and would allow busses to serve the station without adding an extra 5m to the schedule. And, you leave room for the eventual 407 Transitway/Ontario Loop to be built cheaply along the 407, rather than having to build an expensive underground diversion.

image.png

I do not like where this station is located... at all, and it comes down to one simple reason: Regional GO busses.

Tell me, how are GO busses meant to serve this station? I guess they could get off at Dufferin/Keele and make their way to the station, but that'll be extremely slow. Now it seems like Metrolinx realized this, and as such only 2/6 GO busses along the corridor will service the station, but this feels like more of a bandaid than an actual fix. The Barrie Line is going to be one of the most important transit lines in the region, and relegating it to a bunch of local go bus routes seems extremely shortsighted, it'll arguably be a lot more useful than Highway 407 for what its worth.

Here's an idea, why not instead build the GO station on the south side of Highway 7, that way you can build some curbside bus stops along the 407 that GO busses can serve directly that would allow pedestrians to only need a short 2m walk to reach the GO station, and would allow busses to serve the station without adding an extra 5m to the schedule. And, you leave room for the eventual 407 Transitway/Ontario Loop to be built cheaply along the 407, rather than having to build an expensive underground diversion.
You know GO Stations are meant for car drivers and GO buses so what else is new with a station like this? Yes there are stations that see some local transit and some walk-in traffic.

Having a station where transit is high as well walk-in with very very little parking is not on ML radar since the planners only drive.

Time to leave the planning of new stations to DB since they will be running the system for decades and have decades of experiences doing transit planning in the first place. This is an example of 60-70's thinking for transit planning and trying to justify X location.

It go back to 2007 days of writing the Big Move when I was asked what were my views of having more on line stations. I said then and still do that they are a must, but not like the current spacing, size, having parking as we do today, but smaller stations with closer spaces been service by different types of service as well length of trains.

Tell me, how are GO busses meant to serve this station?
The 407 Transitway plans showed this station integrated with the Transitway station, the same way that TTC 407 station was to be integrated.. It would be worth digging that out to compare.

image.png

View attachment 472751Sorry about the image quality the original PDF

I see the problem now. They've moved the GO platforms to north of Highway 7 from being south of Highway 7, near the 407. It used to be that just south of the the platform was the Transitway station and GO bus station on the side of the 407. Now that bus station is north of Highway 7 - about 600 metres further north.

So indeed the question is - how does the Transitway get there? Perhaps the intention is that the new road extends south along the tracks to the Transitway.

It may be an attempt to better serve that redevelopment on the northeast corner of the tracks and Highway 7. There isn't the same development opportunities for the old location, with the adjacent woods and wetlands.

View attachment 472751
Sorry about the image quality the original PDF
Good fine urbancoq! Here's the detailed figure from the new business case, where you can clearly see the platform location and bus loops. Shame there the parking lot isn't under a development. Though I guess that's always a future option.

1682700378488.png

Last edited:
Well this seems like a good use of taxpayer $$:
1685473222367.png

Don't get me wrong, in urban, high-speed, high-frequency rail corridors that are, or should be fully grade-separated, fencing makes sense....

But for a few, slow-ish trains each day, where the fences also impede wildlife movement and might just be in violation of certain environmental laws as well.....

This seems utterly unproductive and excessive.

Back