News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 570     0 

Metrolinx/GO Georgetown Corridor Project

My point about Union Station is that without extra capacity there, you don't get extra capacity on the route in. Changing ownership doesn't change that fact. CN sold the lands as they don't run regular freight service there. If you see freight trains they are most likely CPR. So it's not like GO had a significant volume of CN trains impinging there to be able to reduce freight service for the betterment of passenger service.

Regardless of all that, this enables some of the expansion plans to double the PM facility at Willowbrook, which is overcapacity.

My point about Union Station is that without extra capacity there, you don't get extra capacity on the route in. Changing ownership doesn't change that fact. CN sold the lands as they don't run regular freight service there. If you see freight trains they are most likely CPR.

That is incorrect. There are regular CN freight trains running past Union Station. They seem to have at least a daily run which comes down the Don Valley and through to Oakville. There are no CP operations past Union except when there is a derailment on their mainline. Their agreement with GO to sell the line would likely give them rights to operate the regular through traffic and irregular locals. GO would control the track and make sure that CN operations do not interfere with GO operations (priority to GO).

Maybe I was unclear in my meaning, CN does not service any local industrial clients there.

Any updates to this?

If I recall, the limited GO off peak service on this line was cancelled last spring to allow for a better noise management/construction management during the pile driving portion to try and balance the needs of the community and the needs of construction crews (essentially give them more pile driving time during times people were away from their homes by limiting the number of times the crews had to stop working while trains went through).......is the pile driving done? close to done?

With the stations further up the line (Malton/Bramalea/Brampton/Mt Pleasant at least) upgraded, it is a bit of wasted infrastructure that could be put to use if those trains started running (and maybe even more of them) again.

With Eglinton Now being MetroLinx choice project, is there any hope that a EGLINTON GO transfer is built on the Barrie line and georgetown line? This could help Yonge Eglinton become a significantly bigger office destination.

With Eglinton Now being MetroLinx choice project, is there any hope that a EGLINTON GO transfer is built on the Barrie line and georgetown line? This could help Yonge Eglinton become a significantly bigger office destination.

Last I've heard from Metrolinx/GO about the Barrie line is that they're thinking of a St. Clair station:
http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/558

In 2012, we are planning to initiate an Environmental Assessment (EA) that will include a potential design solution for the construction of a rail-to-rail grade separation at the Davenport Diamond, a proposed new station at St. Clair Avenue, and the twinning of the tracks in the corridor to operate some additional GO trains.

If I recall, the limited GO off peak service on this line was cancelled last spring to allow for a better noise management/construction management during the pile driving portion to try and balance the needs of the community and the needs of construction crews (essentially give them more pile driving time during times people were away from their homes by limiting the number of times the crews had to stop working while trains went through).......is the pile driving done? close to done?

Pile driving was completed in October or November, with the pile verification contract being let at that time. They should have started work on that by now, but I haven't been by lately.

As Vic pointed out above, St. Clair will be the stop location on the Barrie line. As part of the upgrading of the Weston Sub/Georgetown line, a stop is being "roughed in" at Eglinton, which will also tie in with the LRT.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Pile driving was completed in October or November, with the pile verification contract being let at that time. They should have started work on that by now, but I haven't been by lately.
Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks.

So, does anyone know if there are plans to re-introduce the off peak trains? More than there were? The same number? Not as many? None?

Thanks.

So, does anyone know if there are plans to re-introduce the off peak trains? More than there were? The same number? Not as many? None?

The off peak trains will likely be reintroduced, but my assumption is not until after the work on the whole corridor is done since they will need time and room to do all the other work such as the Weston tunnel, various track realignments and bridge expansions

The off peak trains will likely be reintroduced, but my assumption is not until after the work on the whole corridor is done since they will need time and room to do all the other work such as the Weston tunnel, various track realignments and bridge expansions

By the time all the work is done the expectation is that full service in each direction will commence.....the cancellation of the limited off peak trains was to allow more work to be done 9 - 5 on the noisy pile driving part of the work....no reason to not bring them back and go back to the workaround schedule they had before the noise complaints from the residents forced them to court over the matter.

With respect to Georgetown the only 'known' commodity such as it is, is that the service extension to K-W will bring 2 'net' new trains to the corridor in rush hour, in the primary direction. (Late Fall: 2011)

Though all of us expect 2-way hourly service by 2015.

As to the issues of stations.

The most logical station on the Barrie Corridor to add (other than Shepp. West) is a Bloor location.

I've heard nothing about that.

But it would make enormous sense as the GO line passes w/in 200M of Lansdown Stn with which it could be connected.

We shall have to see if this idea gains traction.

Back