News   Jul 31, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 281     1 

Metrolinx buys Toronto-Barrie CN rail line

Given that both documents are now official documents from the same agency, one would expect any conflicts to be worked out internally.

Yes I'm sure it will be, but several provincial acts do make specific reference to the RTP as being supreme.

Yes I'm sure it will be, but several provincial acts do make specific reference to the RTP as being supreme.
Of course, but the RTP can also be changed if needed. In fact, the acts do mention the ability of the Minister of Transportation to change the RTP. The point is that in cases where GO2020 differs from the RTP, we shouldn't assume that the RTP version will win.

Of course, but the RTP can also be changed if needed. In fact, the acts do mention the ability of the Minister of Transportation to change the RTP. The point is that in cases where GO2020 differs from the RTP, we shouldn't assume that the RTP version will win.

It will be amended and made to win ;)

Last edited:

It will be contingent on funding as to whether they do the full RTP implementation or a more modest GO2020 implementation. GO2020 appears to have been designed with the assumptions that GO would continue covering operating expenses and capital funding would be limited.

Frankly, those funding limitations are likely to remain until an additional toll/charge/fee/tax is implemented.

Just a quick question about the Newmarket Sub, is CN still going to be servicing the industries north of Snider?

Just a quick question about the Newmarket Sub, is CN still going to be servicing the industries north of Snider?

Yes. GO's owned that trackage for a while now and has let CN run switchers in and out outside of rush hour to access the various industrial spurs. This transaction just means that a similar regime will now apply to the Newmarket Sub south of Snider.

Toronto-Barrie Rail line now under Metrolinx control...

Everyone: Good move to purchase the Toronto-Barrie rail line and place it under Metrolinx control-GO can beef up service and offer Summer "Getaway"
service to the Lake Simcoe region...

The most important line remains the Lakeshore Line-if Metrolinx or VIA combined can take control it will mean much to passenger rail in the Toronto region...

Thoughts from LI MIKE

maybe metrolinx will buy the meaford sub off barrie and collingwood seeing they can barely afford to maintain it. its gettin pretty old by now.

^ From the Enterprise-Bulletin:

Rail line needs to make business sense in 2010

Posted By MORGAN IAN ADAMS

Posted 2 days ago

Next year could mark the last stop for the Barrie- Collingwood Railway.

On Monday night, councillors OKed an 18-month contract extension with the operator, Cando Contracting; however, the approval came with a caveat from CAO Kim Wingrove that a business case needs to be developed for the line after Collingwood poured more than $200,000 into its operation this year in order to balance the books.

"There needs to be additional discussion with the operator and the businesses (served by the line) to see if work can be done on a business case," Wingrove told councillors. "If it's determined a business case can't be strengthened, in the next six months it will have to be determined where we go next."

She also noted that would give businesses using the rail line to "adjust their business model" should a decision be made to stop operations.

The municipality struck a deal, in partnership with Barrie, to buy the former Meaford Subdivision from CN in 1998. At the time, local officials touted the deal as a 'win-win', as the purchase price would have been covered by the scrap value of the steel rails should the shortline venture fail. Collingwood also found another use for the rail corridor in 1999, using it as a direct route to build a water pipeline to Alliston.

A multi-use trail beside the line has also been developed between Collingwood and Stayner.

The line started out serving Nacan and Canadian Mist in Collingwood, and several industries in Barrie. In 2001, the idea of reviving the 'ski train' was briefly contemplated; however, the condition of the line limits train speeds to 16 kilo-metres (10 miles) per hour, and there are no longer any passenger facilities. Wingrove's report to council indicated infrastructure improvements to support a passenger train into Barrie would be about $4.9 million.

In her report to council, Wingrove also pointed out that a bridge management plan completed for the Collingwood section of the line identified another $200,000 in required repairs and maintenance.

"The reality is we may have to shut the line down," noted Councillor Tim McNabb, during the discussion.

However, Councillor Ian Chadwick reminded councillors of a similar debate that took place on the future of the airport; politicians at the time raised the spectre of shutting the facility down, without determining the importance of the airport to local industry.

"I would like to thing there are other opportunities with the railway," he said. "We have to think broader scale.

"We know it costs money, but it is also a benefit to local industry."

In 2008, three industries were using the Collingwood end of the line, representing 155 carloads. Wingrove's report indicated traffic in 2009 is estimated to be 109 carloads.

"Although BCRY has managed to increase their number of clients, due to the economic climate, the number of cars is down significantly from projections," she wrote in her report.

She said the railway may be eligible for federal infrastructure funding.

^^Kill 2 birds with one stone? Get the government to subsidize some new industry in Collingwood. It creates more jobs in the area, while creating a bigger market for the railway to use. It could also be less expensive than subsidizing the railroad, but I have no idea how much railroad subsidies cost, so I don't think I should delve into that too much.

^^Kill 2 birds with one stone? Get the government to subsidize some new industry in Collingwood. It creates more jobs in the area, while creating a bigger market for the railway to use. It could also be less expensive than subsidizing the railroad, but I have no idea how much railroad subsidies cost, so I don't think I should delve into that too much.

I have a feeling you'll get castigated for encouraging industry up there because it'll promote "sprawl". In fact, supporting ANY kind of use of GO immediately gets you labelled as a greenfield sprawler on these boards.

I have a feeling you'll get castigated for encouraging industry up there because it'll promote "sprawl". In fact, supporting ANY kind of use of GO immediately gets you labelled as a greenfield sprawler on these boards.

Subsidize the jobs so the subsidized rail up there will have somewhere to go to? No, I'm pretty sure it castigates itself.

The Collingwood line might fail for freight, but it should absolutely be bought up by either Metrolinx or the federal government for passenger service. It could be extended right into the Blue Mountain village and would make getting there much easier. It could serve Wasaga Beach as well with shuttle buses or even a spur going into the town itself. With the huge numbers of city people that go to those towns every year, and with the traffic on the 400, it's a no brainer.

Whether its for freight or passenger service, you'll still get people like k10ery and others on here who will criticize GO for leapfrogging the greenbelt and encouraging sprawl etc etc. We've all heard it many times. It doesn't matter how many cars it takes off the road, because it's encouraging sprawl. Yawn.

Back