News   Jul 29, 2024
 606     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 302     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 606     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Too bad we won't see any building photos. I really was hoping to see some cool shots of the frame in various states of assembly, concept photos of our final paint scheme, that sort of thing... I mean I'll be excited the day the first truck shows up in Waterloo at Dutton, but that's almost a year away :) Just looking for any scraps of info they can show us.

Well, for one the Ottawa cars are not built locally - just assembled there. They'll be built at the Alstom facility in Hornell, NY.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The degree of finishing between Thunder Bay and Ottawa is probably larger, Dan, but TB is an assembly plant too, no? Otherwise how does blaming the Mexican plant for everything hold water...

Mexico fabs the frame weldments and ships them up. So Thunder Bay gets a "skeleton" and does everything else.

Mexico fabs the frame weldments and ships them up. So Thunder Bay gets a "skeleton" and does everything else.
Surely a lot of the other stuff - traction motors, pantos, seats, a/c units - are shipped from other places? In any event, Toronto City Council determined how much CanCon there had to be so it's easier for Ottawa to have more completed units arrive from the US.

Yes, obviously - motors are bought from someone, bearings from SKF, toothed belts for the sliding doors from Jason/Brecoex, etc - you know what I mean. I know Bombardier doesn't make their own headlight bulbs. :) if you look at it that way, everybody's just an integrator.

The degree of finishing between Thunder Bay and Ottawa is probably larger, Dan, but TB is an assembly plant too, no? Otherwise how does blaming the Mexican plant for everything hold water...

In the sense that a lot of the components were fabricated elsewhere and then brought to Thunder Bay for final assembly? Sure. But then, that's been happening there since the plant was producing aircraft almost 100 years ago.

But a hell of a lot more goes on in Thunder Bay than is likely to ever happen in Ottawa. I doubt that there will even be any welding in Ottawa, for instance.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

:: bump :: Any more news on the progress of the first prototype train?

All the vehicles ordered are 5-segment contiguous trains, so I would be surprised if a smaller one were delivered.
They are all 5-segment cars 30-metre long cars. I'd think a train would consist of 2 or 3 cars (60-metres or 90-metres) long. How many cars are the Waterloo platforms configured for? Are they 90 metres like Eglinton?

They are all 5-segment cars 30-metre long cars. I'd think a train would consist of 2 or 3 cars (60-metres or 90-metres) long. How many cars are the Waterloo platforms configured for? Are they 90 metres like Eglinton?

The platforms are for a single 5-segment car, and they will be single-car trains.

Edit: I'm wrong about the platform length.

Last edited:
So not a train then. I'd assumed that it would be, or else I wouldn't have thought LRT would have made sense from a demand perspective.

So a single car would be about 130 for planning purposes. If 20 cars per hour, that's only 2,600 passengers an hour. I'm surprised that's high enough. Looks like opening day frequency is only one car every 8 minutes. 7.5 cars per hour or 975 passengers per hour.

The platforms are for a single 5-segment car, and they will be single-car trains.
Having just walked along one this evening, (Victoria Park station) and comparing that to Google Maps...
The platforms are about 60 metres long.

Service will almost certainly start with single-vehicle trains.

Having just walked along one this evening, (Victoria Park station) and comparing that to Google Maps...
The platforms are about 60 metres long.

Yeah, you're right. Also I do recall something about the system being designed to handle two-car trains eventually.

So not a train then. I'd assumed that it would be, or else I wouldn't have thought LRT would have made sense from a demand perspective.

As for capacity, you have to recall that the system's primary purpose initially is to help direct growth to the corridor. It isn't needed to handle 2015's demand.

Back