News   Jul 22, 2024
 589     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 628     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

One thing I wonder though is if Bombardier offered a "long module" Flexity to Metrolinx similar to how the Citadis variants here are configured in Ontario. The long module Flexity Swift pictured below is for the Porto metro in Portugal. It seems like wasted space to have so many bends on the train. Unlike the TTC streetcars, or even Ion, the crosstown doesn't have sharp 90 degree turns, and they could have sacrifices turning radius for more passenger comfort.

I'm wondering if it's just that these manufacturers just aren't offering as much customization for the North American market, given how much smaller it is in terms of orders and they fact they are NA specific designs

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

The Province wanted a common vehicle that could be operated in any jurisdiction where it was directing Metrolinx to make a transit investment, whether Toronto, Kitchener, Hamilton, or Mississauga.

i.e. Metrolinx 6201 is wearing a TTC badge today but, at its most extreme, if it needed to be transferred to Hamilton tomorrow, it could. Just slap a Hamilton Street Railway logo on it.

Personally, I think that this mentality ( while not flawed, but stretching scenario analysis a bit too much) resulted in Crosstown receiving a vehicle that is technically adequate, but not necessarily the best for its primarily subway service-like role.
Kitchener owns their own vehicles not ML. Similarly Ottawa owns their own too. They just piggybacked it off the ML order.

Queen's Park just wanted to control GTAH transit projects.

One thing I wonder though is if Bombardier offered a "long module" Flexity to Metrolinx similar to how the Citadis variants here are configured in Ontario. The long module Flexity Swift pictured below is for the Porto metro in Portugal. It seems like wasted space to have so many bends on the train. Unlike the TTC streetcars, or even Ion, the crosstown doesn't have sharp 90 degree turns, and they could have sacrifices turning radius for more passenger comfort.

I'm wondering if it's just that these manufacturers just aren't offering as much customization for the North American market, given how much smaller it is in terms of orders and they fact they are NA specific designs

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

They offered the 7 module variant that Edmonton is getting

Edmonton-LRV-Without-Beacon-light-2016-09-13.jpg

But Metrolinx went with 2, 5 modules instead. 1, 7 module wasnt enough and 2, 7 modules was too much for opening.

Edmonton-LRV-Without-Beacon-light-2016-09-13.jpg

But Metrolinx went with 2, 5 modules instead. 1, 7 module wasnt enough and 2, 7 modules was too much for opening.

I'm not talking about the length of the train, but the length of the modules that make up the train. The same 5 "short" module train can be made up by 2 long and 1 short module, as is common elsewhere in North America with Siemens S70s or Seattle's Japanese trains. Bombardier does offer such a config in Europe. Likewise given Ottawa's usage Alstom used long modules for it's train, yet you can compose a Citadis train with short modules as well.

They did no such thing. When the TTC wrote the specifications for the tender so many years ago, they spec'd a 100 (approximate) foot long car. They were not interested in a longer car.

Dan

They did no such thing. When the TTC wrote the specifications for the tender so many years ago, they spec'd a 100 (approximate) foot long car. They were not interested in a longer car.
True - but how do we know Bombardier didn't offer Metrolinx a longer version during the negotiations for either the 182-car option or the later reduction of that order to 74(?) cars?

They got to fit in the MSF and line up on platforms. A longer version is just out of the question
They got to fit in the MSF and line up on platforms. A longer version is just out of the question

The platforms could easily fit two 7 module trains. Such concerns also didn't stop Metrolinx from buying the much longer Citadis spec'd identically to Ottawa though I assume they chose to copy Ottawa's design except for paint job for speed of delivery, rather than because they put much thought in how to spec it out. They could have chosen a shorter Citadis layout, but since everything was geared up to build Ottawa's version at the Hornell NY factory it would have greatly extended the delivery time.

The platforms could easily fit two 7 module trains. Such concerns also didn't stop Metrolinx from buying the much longer Citadis spec'd identically to Ottawa though I assume they chose to copy Ottawa's design except for paint job for speed of delivery, rather than because they put much thought in how to spec it out. They could have chosen a shorter Citadis layout, but since everything was geared up to build Ottawa's version at the Hornell NY factory it would have greatly extended the delivery time.
For Eglinton, they'll be forced to run more capacity than they wanted with two 7-module LRVs. On Finch West, they will be forced to operate on a headway that is 50% wider with Alstom LRVs. I wouldn't be surprised if they operated single LRVs on weekends and late night for the first few years.

Finch West MSF is probably modified with a different layout to fit them. Of course we'll never heard how much it cost to redesign the MSF as ML is super non transparent with their finances.

Back