News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

^ Aren't Mtl. trains faster, in addition to nfitz's reasons, because of the rubber tires? Better traction, higher acceleration. If not for this damn winter of ours, I would love for our subways to be built with rubber tires. Ohh, I'm not sure about this, but I have heard that metro stations in Mtl. are built on 'hills' relative to their preceding and following track segments. So, there is a gradual uphill as a train enters the station, slowing it, and a small downhill leaving the station letting gravity speed it up. That could be a good idea as we build new stations.

The TTC was planning to build the Spadina Extension with "humped station profiles" (hills), but decided not to as it might impede drivers view of the track and signals. Personally I think there concern is unwarranted, particularly with the move to ATO

IIRC, the Mtl metro isn't faster than the subway. It just seems that way because the rubber tires give a less smooth ride, causing the trains to rumble giving a perception of high speed. However, the rubber tires DO allow for better acceleration and braking. These differences are important, because Montreal stations are consistently closely-spaced, kind of like the Bloor-Danforth Kipling to Vic Park, while Toronto has some long sections where trains can really get up to speed, such as on North Yonge.

Needless to say, the stations are far more impressive as well (though the depth of some stations can be frustrating).

Last edited:
IIRC, the Mtl metro isn't faster than the subway. It just seems that way because the rubber tires give a less smooth ride, causing the trains to rumble giving a perception of high speed.

This is exactly how it seemed to me as well and I also recall the cars not being completely sealed since they don't go outside. I think there was some sort of open grating at the front that increased the internal noise level and further added to the perception of high speed.

This is exactly how it seemed to me as well and I also recall the cars not being completely sealed since they don't go outside. I think there was some sort of open grating at the front that increased the internal noise level and further added to the perception of high speed.

Only on the Green line, which uses older trains than the others.

The TTC was planning to build the Spadina Extension with "humped station profiles" (hills), but decided not to as it might impede drivers view of the track and signals. Personally I think there concern is unwarranted, particularly with the move to ATO

Somewhere at TTC HQ there is this giant binder called the "book of excuses", which allows TTC management to quickly thumb to a page to deliver an excuse as to why they can't do something that another major transportation operator anywhere in the world has successfully accomplished.

Somewhere at TTC HQ there is this giant binder called the "book of excuses", which allows TTC management to quickly thumb to a page to deliver an excuse as to why they can't do something that another major transportation operator anywhere in the world has successfully accomplished.

Page 12: "We can't operate on schedule because our transit vehicles run in mixed traffic".
Page 13: "We can't operate the 510 on schedule because, even though it is segregated from mixed traffic, we don't have signal priority".
Page 14: "We can't switch on the signal priority on Spadina because that will cause automobile congestion. We only use signal priority when transit vehicles run in mixed traffic".

Page 12: "We can't operate on schedule because our transit vehicles run in mixed traffic".
Page 13: "We can't operate the 510 on schedule because, even though it is segregated from mixed traffic, we don't have signal priority".
Page 14: "We can't switch on the signal priority on Spadina because that will cause automobile congestion. We only use signal priority when transit vehicles run in mixed traffic".

And they are trying to make us belive that Transit City will be fast.

It's a nice project but not on Sheppard East and Eglington. No way that thing will go faster then a Subway train.

Define fast... will it be faster than the buses? Yes, and more reliable and have a higher capacity.

Will it be faster than a subway train? No one ever claimed that it would be...

Shaving five minutes of travel time for $10 billion is like trading a kingdom for a horse.

For some short trips, Transfer City could easily result in longer travel times due to reduced frequency (particularly on Eglinton East, which has a comical overabundance of overlapping routes).

It's a nice project but not on Sheppard East and Eglington. No way that thing will go faster then a Subway train.
Eglinton technology hasn't been chosen yet. The Scarborough RT does move faster than a subway train. If they use this skytrain technology for the entire Eglinton route, then it would go faster than a subway train.

I would expect a fast service at that price. I'm not saying to cancel Transit city but make it go almost as fast as the speed limit on Eglington. 60km/h?

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I get the sense that you're confusing average speed with top speed.

Yes, it will go 60 km/h - the speed limit. When you include stops the average speed drops to around 30 km/h. This is true of all modes. GO trains barely manage 60 km/h average.

Eglinton technology hasn't been chosen yet. The Scarborough RT does move faster than a subway train. If they use this skytrain technology for the entire Eglinton route, then it would go faster than a subway train.

One should read between the lines...

The wider the stations/stops are on any rapid transit line, the faster it will be. The fastest streetcars are on the Queensway, especially running downhill from Parkside Drive westbound. It can really reach high speed, passing cars going 60 km/h, if there are only green lights ahead and no stops. However, if it has to stop at each and every stop for passengers, it will be slower.

IIRC, the Mtl metro isn't faster than the subway. It just seems that way because the rubber tires give a less smooth ride, causing the trains to rumble giving a perception of high speed. However, the rubber tires DO allow for better acceleration and braking. These differences are important, because Montreal stations are consistently closely-spaced, kind of like the Bloor-Danforth Kipling to Vic Park, while Toronto has some long sections where trains can really get up to speed, such as on North Yonge.

Needless to say, the stations are far more impressive as well (though the depth of some stations can be frustrating).

These are the average time it takes the metro to go to the next station vs. the distance on the Orange line.

Cartier
1101.6 mètres -> 75 secondes
Henri-Bourrasa
771.6 mètres -> 59 secondes
Sauvé
1279.6 mètres -> 84 secondes
Crémazie
825.6 mètres -> 61 secondes
Jarry
977.1 mètres -> 69 secondes
Jean-Talon
712.1 mètres -> 56 secondes
Beaubien
541.1 mètres -> 47 secondes
Rosemont
746.1 mètres -> 57 secondes
Laurier
499.6 mètres -> 45 secondes
Mont-Royal
932.1 mètres -> 67 secondes
Sherbrooke
579.1 mètres -> 49 secondes
Berri-UQAM

Does someone have the same numbers for the TTC subway?

Back