News   May 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 623     0 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

IMO the King streetcar should be the number 1 priority.

With all the developments going on in King West this line is only going to get busier. Sometimes you have to wait for a couple streetcars to pass just to squeeze onto an extremely packed one.

IMO the King streetcar should be the number 1 priority.

With all the developments going on in King West this line is only going to get busier. Sometimes you have to wait for a couple streetcars to pass just to squeeze onto an extremely packed one.

The RTP calls for the construction of the Waterfront West LRT, which should take some pressure off the King car. It will be interesting to see what happens when the TTC returns with their report on opportunities for transit-only lanes on narrow streets. It might show that a ROW on King or Queen is viable.

The RTP calls for the construction of the Waterfront West LRT, which should take some pressure off the King car. It will be interesting to see what happens when the TTC returns with their report on opportunities for transit-only lanes on narrow streets. It might show that a ROW on King or Queen is viable.

Yeah, an underground ROW. :)

That study is ridiculous. If they want "LRT" then run the trains underground or on a separate ROW (I can't see how they can pull it off), or just call it streetcars, and throw all the Transit City "fast" transit BS out.

I think it shows how ridiculous TC can be - first they plan the lines on a napkin, then figure out there's problems of drawing maps like that, and commission all these side studies so they can still get past the 6 month minimal EA consultation.

Don Mills road inaccessible? That's a bit bizarre. It's only about 20-25 minutes on the Don Mills 25 bus from Pape station. I'd think that MacIsaac would have been jumping at chances to take the subway and bus up there, given that this is one of the routes that Metrolinx is looking at upgrading. That proposed LRT is only going to shave a few minutes off the current service at peak.

He would have to take GO train to Union, subway to Yonge, another subway to Pape, and finally the bus. Sounds like a project on its own.

He would have to take GO train to Union, subway to Yonge, another subway to Pape, and finally the bus. Sounds like a project on its own.
He would start from his office I presume, so it's only taking the subway to Pape, followed by a bus-ride.

My surprise is, that I'd think that given that is one of the routes that Metrolinx is planning to upgrade, that I'd just think he would take opportunities to see it first-hand. Perhaps if he was using the subway rather than driving, he might understand just how flawed building all these east-west lines, and north-south lines that terminate on the B-D line are, and that the backbone must be improved, first ... ie. the Downtown Core Line should have priority over extending the Yonge line.

I agree with the article saying that GO Transit works. Yes, it could be better. But I think ridership on GO has increased more than on regular public transit. GO's limiting factor to growth is lack of trains, e.g. on the Milton line.

And to the person who said King street is the priority, a DRL would take care of a lot of that issue.

... Perhaps if he was using the subway rather than driving, he might understand just how flawed building all these east-west lines, and north-south lines that terminate on the B-D line are, and that the backbone must be improved, first ... ie. the Downtown Core Line should have priority over extending the Yonge line.

This is a good point : )

It would be a better made point if he actually did drive downtown. (He doesn't).

My understanding is that usually he takes GO train from Burlington to his office near Union. But the day he had to visit those headquarters on Don Mills, he decided to drive because otherwise he would have to make 3 transfers each way.

My understanding is that usually he takes GO train from Burlington to his office near Union. But the day he had to visit those headquarters on Don Mills, he decided to drive because otherwise he would have to make 3 transfers each way.
Two transfers. Bloor-Yonge and Pape. Neither are long waits, with the Don Mills bus running every 6-minutes off-peak in the daytime.

Plus the transfer between GO and the TTC I'm assuming.
I'd have assumed he would have gone from his office at Union. I can't imagine he spent an entire day at the Post.

He could have taken the train to York Mills and then the bus to Don Mills. The National Post is a short walk south of York Mills.
Yeah -about half-a-kilometre - perhaps even faster, as you don't have to change subways. York Mills bus is quite fast off-peak.

The York Mills bus is often a disaster during rush hour but even off-peak it's still fairly unpredictable and fairly unreliable...not that he would know that, but he's certainly not going to risk being late or tired or wet (was it raining?) or whatever just to make a point that since he took the bus once, he has communed with the unwashed masses and is now expertly able to lead them to transit nirvana.

Beijing to Run 561km Rail Transit Lines by 2015

I guess all of you buying all that junk from Wal-Mart makes this possible. We should be buying Made In Canada to do the same here:

BEIJING, October 30, SinoCast — Beijing is expected to operate 19 rail transit lines with a total length of 561 kilometers by 2015, says a principal at the city’s communication division on October 28, 2008. The city is now operating eight railway transit lines with a length of 200 kilometers and will have 14 lines with a length of 400 kilometers as the eight lines like the No. 4 Line, No. 6 Line, No. 8 Line and No. 9 Line are to be completed by 2012. By 2015, the rail transit network of the city will absorb a static investment of up to CNY 200 billion. Subway stations will be accessible with an average 1-kilometer walk within the fourth highway ring outside the downtown area, and there will be 1.08 kilometers of rail transit lines per square kilometers within the second highway ring. All the outer districts and new towns will have access to the network. The No. 4 Line will be operated by a Beijing-Hong Kong joint venture for 30 years, marking the first foreign-invested rail transit project in the country. The investment and operational pattern will likely be adopted in other rail transit projects of the city.

Click on this link for the Mass Transit magazine article.

Back