News   Jun 06, 2024
 874     1 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 608     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 487     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

If a by-election race reflected the previous outcome of the last election, two of the leading contenders for this seat would lean progressive, and pro-cycling and would also add to Council's diversity.

I wonder if they will just appoint someone rather than hold yet another by-election.

Lovely...

I live in this ward and I am dreading having another election. I am not sure he will win Scarborough-Guildwood though. He's a nice guy but it has been liberal since the early 1990s.

Richard, you live in Scarborough Southwest, correct? Do you think a progressive council candidate has a chance in a by-election? I know they have an NDP MPP and briefly had an NDP MP during the Layton years.

Richard, you live in Scarborough Southwest, correct? Do you think a progressive council candidate has a chance in a by-election? I know they have an NDP MPP and briefly had an NDP MP during the Layton years.

Yes.

Coincidentally, I was very good friends with Dan Harris and knew his family well (I went to school with his younger cousin Lauren). I was also on the NDP Riding Association during that time. Dan and I worked on many campaigns together.

The riding has not gone PC since the Mike Harris days and given the current political climate I cannot see that changing now. Yes Gary Crawford is more right than left, he was more of a Red Tory than a Blue Blooded Conservative, at least that is how he came across in my ward.

One of the reasons Gary Crawford did so well here was that despite his work at City Hall, his work in and for his ward was impeccable. He did alot for this ward and was well liked here.

I can see a progressive candidate getting in here IF they do not go on about Bike Lanes and Shelters everywhere.

Years ago, Michelle Berardinetti championed bike lanes on Birchmount which the locals hated. It turned Birchmount south of St Clair into 1 lane each way and made driving a nightmare. The street is well used and to lose one lane on each side was problematic. Those bike lanes were reversed after much community opposition.

As for shelters, there is a small homeless issue in the area with many people drinking outside the local beer and liquor stores. In my area they come from a shelter at Midland and Danforth or the TCHC building at Birchmount and St Clair.

It is not uncommon to find someone begging for money at an intersection or getting drunk off cheap beer in a local park. Going down Warden between St Clair and Danforth is risky after dark and the locals know this.

Everyone here may disagree but while the residents do want progressive, they also do not want a diehard earthy-hippie councilor who will only exacerbate the problems.

Essentially, they don't want a Nunziata but they also do not want a Josh Matlow.

Yeah, not that long ago, 3 years was a full term for city council (which makes me laugh when some said Chow wouldn't be able to do anything within the term).
From link.

For many years, municipal elections occurred annually in Toronto. After 1956, elections occurred every other year until 1966 after which elections occurred in 1969 and 1972 before reverting to a 2-year cycle. After 1982, elections again occurred every third year and, after the 2006 election the term of city council grew to 4 years.​

Years ago, Michelle Berardinetti championed bike lanes on Birchmount which the locals hated.

Nope. Adrian Heaps was the Councillor who championed those bike lanes, and it was Berardinetti who won on a platform of removing them!

It turned Birchmount south of St Clair into 1 lane each way and made driving a nightmare. The street is well used and to lose one lane on each side was problematic. Those bike lanes were reversed after much community opposition.

I drive in this area all the time, and did then too, none of Pharmacy was remotely ever a nightmare, nor most of Birchmount.

Birchmount had one problematic section, which was Danforth Road to St. Clair, because of all the apartment buildings, and any car stopping to make a turn blocked the only travel lane. The rest of it could have been left in without issue.

As for shelters, there is a small homeless issue in the area with many people drinking outside the local beer and liquor stores. In my area they come from a shelter at Midland and Danforth or the TCHC building at Birchmount and St Clair.

I don't remember any Councillor ever running on a platform of building shelters here, there and everywhere, that said, I'd bet area residents would prefer one of those to an encampment.

The TCHC sites do have their issues, there's no denying that; but ya know, I walk through Teesdale a few times a year, I've never had an incident, or felt scared (knock wood); but I'll admit to having been...astounded by the sometimes elaborate illegal cable hookups from the Rogers Boxes on the facades.

Going down Warden between St Clair and Danforth is risky after dark and the locals know this.

That is most certainly an exaggeration.

From link.

For many years, municipal elections occurred annually in Toronto. After 1956, elections occurred every other year until 1966 after which elections occurred in 1969 and 1972 before reverting to a 2-year cycle. After 1982, elections again occurred every third year and, after the 2006 election the term of city council grew to 4 years.​
Jeezus. An election every year; even when Toronto was that much smaller was ridiculous.

Nope. Adrian Heaps was the Councillor who championed those bike lanes, and it was Berardinetti who won on a platform of removing them!

My mistake. I knew it was one of them but I got it wrong. Apologies.

I drive in this area all the time, and did then too, none of Pharmacy was remotely ever a nightmare, nor most of Birchmount.

Birchmount had one problematic section, which was Danforth Road to St. Clair, because of all the apartment buildings, and any car stopping to make a turn blocked the only travel lane. The rest of it could have been left in without issue.

The Danforth to St Clair section is what I was referring to. Driving through there was a pain and as you said, anytime someone turned in or out of somewhere it created issues. I agree though the rest could have stayed in.

I don't remember any Councillor ever running on a platform of building shelters here, there and everywhere, that said, I'd bet area residents would prefer one of those to an encampment.

The TCHC sites do have their issues, there's no denying that; but ya know, I walk through Teesdale a few times a year, I've never had an incident, or felt scared (knock wood); but I'll admit to having been...astounded by the sometimes elaborate illegal cable hookups from the Rogers Boxes on the facades.

My reference was to the push for affordable housing and the existing shelters in the area. We already have encampments in Warden Woods Park along with the ravine at St Clair and Birchmount. If you look north out the subway window going from VP to Warden you will see encampments in the forest. If you look carefully in the ravine you will see them there too albeit not as prevalent.

That is most certainly an exaggeration.

Yes and No.

Fir Valley and Cataraqui both contain TCHC buildings and TCHC Townhomes (think of it like Regent Park light).

They are known for having some unscrupulous characters living there and the locals know drugs are dealt there. There is an unwritten rule in the area, don't walk down that stretch of warden at night unless you have to and if you do, keep your wits about you.

Anyone outside the local area would not know how bad the area is but in my area it has a reputation.

Jeezus. An election every year; even when Toronto was that much smaller was ridiculous.
...and most of those early civic elections were on January 1st, New Year's Day. Imagine voting with a hangover (only if you were male, a British subject, and a property owner, of course).

If a by-election race reflected the previous outcome of the last election, two of the leading contenders for this seat would lean progressive, and pro-cycling and would also add to Council's diversity.

I could see former TDSB trustee and 2022 runner-up Parthi Kandavel running again, as well as Kevin Rupasinghe, a local activist who came third.

The US Republican States tell us how to react to neglect from upper levels of government. So, send refugees allowed in by the Feds onto buses and drop them in Ottawa.

The US Republican States tell us how to react to neglect from upper levels of government. So, send refugees allowed in by the Feds onto buses and drop them in Ottawa.
But we have billions more to send to Ukraine...

Back