News   May 17, 2024
 917     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 564     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.7K     7 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Please don’t repost Visegrad. It’s not a legitimate news source.

At the same time, I would agree that’s it’s not a helpful tactic.
Visegrad here is using footage from Caryma S’ad, who’s recently been promoting neo-nazi organization Diagolon and doxxing protestors for anti-SOGI/LGBTQ organizations. They’res a reason she’s earned the nickname “Caryma Ngo”.

Visegrad here is using footage from Caryma S’ad, who’s recently been promoting neo-nazi organization Diagolon and doxxing protestors for anti-SOGI/LGBTQ organizations. They’res a reason she’s earned the nickname “Caryma Ngo”.

She’s turned out to be incredibly toxic and a useful tool for the far right.

Staff draft: 10% hike - and that’s accounting for $250M for housing refugees. If that money doesn’t arrive (I don’t think it will) - add on another 6%. Do I think the number will be that high? No, but…I suspect it’ll be around 8% excluding city-building fund.

Gonna be interesting times.

Where is the police stopping this craziness? Everyone has a right to peaceful protest in Canada, but that doesn't include the right to threaten people and harassment. I have seen gangs of protesters hold up TTC streetcars during rush hour. Enough enough!

Harassing elderly people out for a skate.

This is why we can't have nice things.

A never-ending geopolitical problem half a world away becomes grounds for politicization and deprivation of the enjoyment of public space. What does anyone protesting in Canada hope to achieve? You want to make a difference, go to Israel/Palestine and take up arms or volunteer in humanitarian initiatives.

This is why we can't have nice things.

A never-ending geopolitical problem half a world away becomes grounds for politicization and deprivation of the enjoyment of public space. What does anyone protesting in Canada hope to achieve? You want to make a difference, go to Israel/Palestine and take up arms or volunteer in humanitarian initiatives.
Well, some of the weapons being used against Palestinians were bought from Canada. But I digress...

What heck did I just read? I’ve no idea who S’ad is nor what Diagolon or Ngo are, but I doubt they have anything to do with Olivia Chow’s tenure as our mayor. Turn off your computer, stand up and go for a walk. Most of what we read on line is nonsense and gives our attention to at-best tangential nobodies and nothing burgers.
I would gladly accept a 25% property tax increase if it will clear the streets, public transit, parks and ravines of crazies, addicts and vagrants. And not with a massive police budget increase, nor with more spending on the homeless industrial complex that makes park occupations viable, but instead through investment in supportive housing spread across the city, not just in downtown east.
Well, looks like I’m trending toward getting my wish on the funding side. I am concerned that any increase is just going to payroll.

One of the many things I have learned to be wary of in my time on the internet is provocative videos about contentious political issues, especially from sketchy, click-oriented, or otherwise disreputable "sources". They are often intended to stir up hatred and division and are not bringing up these issues in good faith.

Concerning the video shown above, it is utterly void of context, or actually, any form of information at all. All we see is a bunch of people shouting at each other. We have no idea what either side thinks from watching the video. If anyone thinks they can reach any conclusions about what is going on from watching it, no they can't.

Well, looks like I’m trending toward getting my wish on the funding side. I am concerned that any increase is just going to payroll.

Sounds like survey respondents (and yes, just like neighbourhood consultations there are legit questions about how representative the results are) did not want a police budget increase. I also agree that there are ways to use police more effectively.

NOTE: the city did try to be inclusive with its survey, using online, town halls and other forums to get feedback.

Sounds like survey respondents (and yes, just like neighbourhood consultations there are legit questions about how representative the results are) did not want a police budget increase. I also agree that there are ways to use police more effectively.

NOTE: the city did try to be inclusive with its survey, using online, town halls and other forums to get feedback.

This (below) explains the big TPA (Toronto Police Association) campaign the last few weeks:

1704896233198.png

I am concerned that any increase is just going to payroll.

I will read the entire budget, as I do each year and report back on what's going where.

The info will likely show up in this thread but may show up in relevant threads such as TTC as well.

It will take me a few days to digest it all so the info won't show up here all at once.

The detailed budget notes aren't up yet, but the summary presentation to Budget Ctte is:

From the above:

1704897445404.png

1704897566736.png

1704897589717.png

1704897655974.png

1704897712456.png

This bit (below) is of note; should the Feds not fund Refugee related costs, and the budget otherwise remain unchanged, the proposed tax hike would go from 9% to 15%

1704897791977.png

1704897852251.png

1704897900926.png

1704897936757.png

1704897980204.png

1704898063610.png

1704898108024.png

1704898187755.png

Of note to me; despite the big increase and the 'new deal' the Capital side actually shows the State-of-good-Repair backlog growing materially over the next decade.

Last edited:

Back