News   Jul 15, 2024
 695     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 870     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 624     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Chris Selley is always cranky. And mostly wrong. And by revving up the resent-fueled time-machine you've managed to dredge up something which suggests you are, too.

RRR is correct. Miller Time was Good Times. Toronto leapt onto the global stage (in a positive fashion). The Fordus Interuptus was an entirely aberrant slope-head interregnum that we, as a city, will hopefully never see again. That said, Tory's doing okay in his 'bland-is-good' trained-way. There are a bunch of issues which will test even the greatest Mayor though. Here's to hoping.

What I remember the most about the Miller years were the budget meltdowns and the strikes (TTC and garbage). When every budget requires some unpredictable combination of property tax increases, ingenious new taxes and provincial bailouts, you've got a problem. I liked the Ford years for budgets that weren't crises

What I remember the most about the Miller years were the budget meltdowns and the strikes (TTC and garbage). When every budget requires some unpredictable combination of property tax increases, ingenious new taxes and provincial bailouts, you've got a problem. I liked the Ford years for budgets that weren't crises

Wow.

I had been wondering how a brain must work to actually think budgets under Ford were anything but moronic.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Don`t you think you are going slightly overboard on TTC strikes a 1 day wildcat in 2006 and a 2 day in 2008 and the remedy espoused by R Ford of...essential service thereby giving the union institutionalized interest arbitration
As far as the City workers went the workers may have lost more than they gained with the loss of their sick bank days
The Ford years, eh...why not take a look a the total dollar value of debentures (2.15B) let and how close the Ford years have come to the City`s debt ceiling...the 11.45% contract for police...the meat cleaver approach to TTC service cuts...the fire hall closings and manpower reductions...the four year long continued increases in PF&R user fees...the constant whining about opening pressures...

I had been wondering how a brain must work to actually think budgets under Ford were anything but moronic.

Proof you don't need to support Ford to bring the level of discourse to rock bottom levels.

the fire hall closings and manpower reductions....

How many were closed? 1? Hardly a travesty.

This budget is in part about Tory fixing what the Fords fraked-up. You don't or can't have "crises" if you don't deal with paying you bills. Finding "efficiencies", or rather cuts, is a great way to balance books as long as you don't mind loss in quality of service. And since a city serves the needs of people, and contrary to the Ford brothers, the stock holders not customers, this is a piss poor way of managing a government or a business.

First, in comparison to Ford, Miller was a God!

That said, he did do things I did not agree with. While the taxes he brought in were arguably necessary, I would have rather seen it that other municipalities could implement their own taxes as well, or at least make them region wide. That way one wouldn't simply have to live on the north side of Steeles to save themselves $60 per year on their vehicle registration. Also said money went straight into general revenue, rather than specifically into transit where it could do the most good.

Also he did very little to address TTC culture. Very slow adaption of smart cards and electronic payment, no investment in larger buses, two hour transfers left as a "pilot project" for 5 years on a single route without any oversight (and continue to this day), poor handling of customer complaints and concerns, etc.

Also he tended to focus too much on local matters rather than uniting mega city. For example, forgiving the Ford rhetoric, but Transit City's tight stop spacing really did make it look more like a fancy streetcar than true light rail rapid transit, which is what the suburbs need. And while bike lanes are great and I don't support removing them, some of the locations for them could have been better thought out.

I didn't know this, but I do now, thanks to you guys: Ford is on the board of TRCA?!

Who thought it would be a good idea to let him anywhere near the TRCA?
The same slob who tried to hush up a buddy's business discharging whatever shite it was into the storm sewer system? ffs

I didn't know this, but I do now, thanks to you guys: Ford is on the board of TRCA?!

Who thought it would be a good idea to let him anywhere near the TRCA?
The same slob who tried to hush up a buddy's business discharging whatever shite it was into the storm sewer system? ffs

Councillors all get assigned to 'something" - he's also on the Government Management Committee, the Hockey Hall of Fame Board and the Audit Committee

Idle hands are the devil's workshop...

Then Perruzza must be a top student...only two...TRCA and Public Works as well as a member of NYCC (every Councillor is a member of one of the four Community Councils) and the Dufferin-Finch BIA...and for all that he has six staff for the third least populated ward with the fewest electors....

Back