News   Jul 15, 2024
 769     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 918     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

ha ha ha

How would you know this from the perspective of a runner??? Once the race reaches certain points in the route, there are no gaps between runners big enough to allow traffic through until you get near the end of the runners. You could be stuck at an intersection for an hour or more waiting for such a "gap". In other words...not worth discussing.

Also, the only streetcars that are there, are the ones that got "caught" between the time they start diverting them and the time they close the intersection.

Being a "runner" only makes you biased...not right I'm afraid.

Yea...which isn't open until 9:00am. And even when it is open, it doesn't offer a very good alternative route for someone with a destination on a King/Queen streetcar route.

There is no service between the two points where they are diverting them...which happens to be the downtown core...which happens to be what I have been saying all along.

But wait...according to somebody else who is running in the marathon, the police are letting traffic through, so why would we be diverting them???? ha ha ha

It must be exasperating for you today, a holiday but no antiquing route to rigidly plan.

How can you say it's disingenuous to argue that Tory is pandering to drivers? From what I've heard from him so far, he's the kind of politician who would have voted to remove the Jarvis bike lanes so that drivers can save just two minutes. Tory "does not support anything that increases commute times for drivers, including bringing back bike lanes to Jarvis St". “I will absolutely not put the bike lanes back on Jarvis. The bike lanes never should have been there to begin with — it is not the right placeâ€. Oh dear, a whopping two minutes was too much to swallow. I think it's crystal clear where his priorities are when it comes to rationing road space. If you need more examples, please let me know.

I think I prefer the obvious pro-car stance Ford took over Tory's sneaky, shrouded pro-car stance.

I am not sure how many of you are on Twitter, but it has been refreshing to follow Tory and see normal stuff in my feed.

So, how'd the skate levy go?

Though with this being Mayor Troy and all, maybe it should have been a swimming levy at Ripley's

home.jpg

Wormy got Robbie's name in this assemblage of words talking about the "war on cars" and has now included trucks, to bad the article doesn't go anywhere but then again this is Wormy, what can you expect. Anyway, I always thought titles had to be capitalized.

Tory's war on trucks
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/01/torys-war-on-trucks

There is nothing wrong with elected representatives fighting for the interests of the constituents that they were elected to represent. These councilors aren't asking for huge ridiculous megaprojects (except the DRL, I suppose, but that is on the table anyway).

Toronto is going to have to accept tax increases if it wants to improve the city, and keep it competitive.

Last edited:
Toronto is going to have to accept tax increases if it wants to improve the city, and keep it competitive.

Except the various "Torontos", particularly the squeaky wheels, have a tendency to deny the need for tax increases while asking for megaprojects on the basis of some historical slight.

AoD

A place where most people have low incomes like Scarborough isn't a place where people can pay much higher taxes. Yet it's the kind of place that needs quality transit.

Of course there is a point to that, though a per rata contribution doesn't seem particularly onerous. The term "quality transit" also require some review, because as proposed the quality aspect is rather suspicious.

AoD

A place where most people have low incomes like Scarborough isn't a place where people can pay much higher taxes. Yet it's the kind of place that needs quality transit.

It is also the place without the population density or commuter numbers to warrant higher orders of transit.

Though, I don't think "quality transit" necessarily necessitates higher orders of transit. There are options for the suburbs such as trams that are used to serve suburbs of major cities across the world, and buses which Toronto already is very good at maintaining high levels of frequency, but there always is room for improvement.

Last edited:
Could we ever properly build out the city if we didn't provide higher order transit in currently lower-density areas? (Really, I mean anything above and beyond a 15km bus ride.)

We obviously need priorities due to everyone's reticence to pay (and for other reasons, I know), but I don't think we should dismiss the idea of providing the infrastructure before the build-out. That is what got us into our current predicament, isn't it?

(Also, that little thing you guys had going re: marathons was cute....if that's on any top ten priority list, I'm moving to Hamilton)

Last edited:
To serve low-density suburban areas we need commuter rail and adequate tram(LRT or streetcar) or bus connections to commuter rail stations.

SmartTrack does one half of this for the 416 suburbs.

Speaking of my earlier pedestrians vs marathoners gripe, I'm getting some buzz that John Tory's proposed crackdown on jaywalkers could be a contentious matter...

Back