News   Jul 16, 2024
 51     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 819     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 955     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

A: Actually, progressive, liberal minded politicians (the "left") are more apt to be sincere about being more inclusive. Look at Miller's appointments. Liberals are for things....conservatives are against things.

Ya, they are for reckless spending as Miller showed. And this is coming from a Liberal & NDP supporter. I have never voted PC

From whom do you hear this? A rookie Councillor who tried to work with Ford then publicly split from him over the idiocy that was ScarSub. I'd say that I'd be hard to work with, too, if I had to work with Ford.

Well when he first got elected, you'd hear from Matlow all the time making comments. He sure has been pretty quiet the last 1 1/2 years

2. Ann Hui @annhui Toronto City Hall Reporter, The Globe and Mail
Tory just said that he's never even been at a meeting of city council, much less in a meeting of council.
12:20 PM - 1 Dec 2014
https://twitter.com/annhui/status/539469037114511360

That statement is why I wondered if he didn't know for himself how awful she is as Speaker. But who knows, maybe he watches it on Rogers TV instead of attending.

I don't agree with conservative Thompson on a lot of things, but I didn't have a problem voting for him. I know what Tory has done in the past, as I've been paying attention for decades. That's why I didn't vote for him. I'll be quite happy if he surprises me by being a great mayor, but his appointments don't reassure me that this will happen.

TBH that is no excuse. He's had a transition team full of individuals who were involved or understood how council meetings look like and knew what kind of speaker Nunziata was.

I wonder if council will vote against Nunziata as speaker. It wouldn't surprise me. I'd warm up to the idea of Augimeri as speaker instead.

1. You're misconstruing what I wrote. I recognized that Chow lost in a landslide in my post; still, she received 227003 votes according to the official election results. It isn't about taking on her plans; it's about making sure the people of this city feel included, n.

Ya, how many people are actually saying "none of the people on the executive represent me"?, except for the few on this forum

TBH that is no excuse. He's had a transition team full of individuals who were involved or understood how council meetings look like and knew what kind of speaker Nunziata was.

I wonder if council will vote against Nunziata as speaker. It wouldn't surprise me. I'd warm up to the idea of Augimeri as speaker instead.

Nunziata as speaker again won't translate into anything fatal. But it does represent a huge blunder on the part of the mayor, which is a bad omen in general.

Council could...and should vote against it, but what's the likelihood that they would do something as serious as hand the new mayor a defeat in council in the first couple of days? Not happening.

Nunziata as speaker again won't translate into anything fatal. But it does represent a huge blunder on the part of the mayor, which is a bad omen in general.

Council could...and should vote against it, but what's the likelihood that they would do something as serious as hand the new mayor a defeat in council in the first couple of days? Not happening.

So given that, what can D Minnan-Wong do to lose his Deputy Mayor job in the next few months? Or is he there for the duration?

Hopefully he's genuine. We shall see. Also, it's one thing to be really passionate about listening to people and another to turn their ideas into action. I'm guessing he's good at that since he's held high profile roles, but I haven't heard of anything specific that he's developed.

His bright idea for Ontario Place was to sell off 15% to developers to build condos but the Premiere quickly put a stop to that. It seems to me that Tory is not the person you'd go to if you want good, original ideas. I still haven't figured out what Tory is good at besides looking like an improvement to Rob Ford.

Last edited:
Ya, how many people are actually saying "none of the people on the executive represent me"?, except for the few on this forum

The largest district of the city, which contributes the most taxes, just spent 4 years without representation. That same district is going to spend another 4 years being underrepresented...and you think nothing bad will come of that? You think this is a wise move by the guy who pretended to be the big non-partisan "One Toronto" ?

The largest district of the city, which contributes the most taxes, just spent 4 years without representation. That same district is going to spend another 4 years being underrepresented...and you think nothing bad will come of that? You think this is a wise move by the guy who pretended to be the big non-partisan "One Toronto" ?

Yup I do. These people that voted are not giving it a second thought. If they were, they would all be on this forum. You need to distinguish the way you see things since you are politically informed vs the great mass of people that are ill-informed.

Y'know, the fact that we're "back to normal" under Mayor Tory is reflected by how the last few pages in this thread's become the same old political-bickering tedium, i.e. equivalent to those transpo/P&C threads full of cheap jabs at anyone from Steve Munro or Jennifer Keesmaat or whomever...

Seems the majority of Toronto residents feel a left-leaning leader was not needed in the city. If residents felt the city needed a left-leaning mayor, then Olivia Chow would have been elected. Instead, Chow lost in a landslide and residents elected a centre-right politician. Why? Most residents agree with a more Conservative agenda for the city. The last city council term had the wrong leader in Rob Ford but now the much better, much stronger leader in John Tory is running the show. Heck, when former Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly was basically running the city for the past year, things at city hall seemed to go much smoother, most of the councillors were getting along just fine and things were getting done. Just remember that Kelly's political views are centre-right. Conservatism isn't a bad thing. You are just telling yourself it's bad.

I read this and I have to laugh. People always make definitive statements based on superficial assumptions. I don't know if the majority of Torontonians are Conservatives but I wouldn't make that assumption based on Tory's win. I am NOT a Conservative and for 2 weeks, I seriously considered voting Tory. Why? Because I did not want Ford to get in and Chow wasn't looking good. I also did not like what I heard coming out of Chow's mouth. (pandering to Conservatives) This election had too many conflicting factors to make any assumptions that Toronto is now a Conservative city because it voted in Tory. What other options did we have? ALL of the options were bad ones as far as I was concerned. My assumption is, Tory got in on a fluke, due to the lack of viable candidates and the Ford factor, not because we have all become Conservatives. If a good centralist or lefty was running, the outcome probably would have been very different.

Of course Conservatives want to paint Tory's win as a definitive statement that Toronto loves the Conservatives but that's just political spin. The left/right political winds are always changing anyway.

Y'know, the fact that we're "back to normal" under Mayor Tory is reflected by how the last few pages in this thread's become the same old political-bickering tedium, i.e. equivalent to those transpo/P&C threads full of cheap jabs at anyone from Steve Munro or Jennifer Keesmaat or whomever...

I agree. There will always be disagreement in council over the big issues. The fact that they aren't debating about a mayor who got busted buying crack makes a huge difference.

Yeah. The Ford thread had wit; the Tory thread's slipping into witlessness--but an oddly "normal" kind of witlessness...

Contrary to belief, the mayor sets the tone for the speaker, Ford established that, let's see if Tory continues that or if Nunzy has to read the manual.

Back