News   May 09, 2024
 344     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Ha! Councillor Holyday is outdoing himself!

A motion to 'pause' on collecting the City Building Levy this year.

The budget already has a huge hole in it, this would blow that hole open to an entirely new level.

Edit to Add: The Speaker just ruled this out of order, as the levy money is already allocated to ongoing projects, so the motion would have to find offsets to fund those obligations.

Councillor Holyday is special and he knows it. Here's his question/suggestion to staff on how to address fiscal challenges:

View attachment 456579
Reflecting on how John Tory resists working with responsible, reasonable progressive councillors (despite claiming he's Mr. Moderate) but spent years, terms, playing nice with and indulging Holyday, putting him in positions, and even making him a Deputy Mayor for I'm not sure what — for doing his best to be the most cruel, most anti-housing, most obstructionist, most anti-anything good on council? Same with DMW, Nunziata. If there's an aggressively awful clearly a toxic and unkind conservative on council, you know John Tory will have a position for them, but responsible progressives, no.

Responsible governance is John Tory's middle name! Except when it comes to important positions, those are for the rogue's gallery of the worst people on council.

One could also pay Councillors more slowly (or pay them less) and maybe only pay suppliers after 6 months? There is no end to stupid ideas and no doubt we can rely on Holyday to find them. If only Mammoliti were still there, HE would have bven more.
Who knows, maybe he’ll run for mayor!

…again.

That’s if he’s tired of losing mayoral elections in Wasaga Beach.

That has to piss off the 11.6 million Ontarians (79.8% of the pop.) who do not live in Toronto and are thus ignored by this government.... mind you they should count themselves lucky.
I imagine the rest of Ontario is okay as long as it's seen as either A) Owning the Libs B) Doing the opposite of what Toronto wants.
Judging by the conversations I overheard at a funeral this weekend in Owen Sound, it's C) All of the Above.

Ok.....LOL

Councillor Fletcher stole the seed of a good idea from me (go right along and do that) but she then made to far too underwhelming.

1676495643478.png

I had suggested a rather larger hike to her; and EV chargers were also not my priority.

Ha! Councillor Holyday is outdoing himself!

A motion to 'pause' on collecting the City Building Levy this year.

The budget already has a huge hole in it, this would blow that hole open to an entirely new level.

Edit to Add: The Speaker just ruled this out of order, as the levy money is already allocated to ongoing projects, so the motion would have to find offsets to fund those obligations.
Maybe we can have a referendum in the by-election to have Stephen Holyday do an IQ test.

Heck actually a better idea, let's get someone from council to make a motion on it. I'd even gladly be in support of using city funds to do it.

Motions that have passed thus far:

1676497443668.png

Ahem, you're welcome Councillor

1676497468908.png

1676497496706.png

There will be more, this is on-going.

Edit: I missed a couple...........but the one setting the property tax rate at the level the Mayor wanted has passed 24-2. (dissenters were Holyday and Perruzza)

Was there a vote for that item? I'd love to know how Holyday voted if there was.

Not so far as I'm aware. It was in the base budget proposal; and I don't remember anyone amending the budget to change that.

So the only vote (so far) was on the overall revenue side though; its now that we're on to the expense side of the ledger.

I would not be surprised to see a Holyday motion to reinstate it, but he'll have to find an offset that most of Council can endorse.

Back