News   May 06, 2024
 30     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 702     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

They make a tonne of money, and add more supply to the housing market, helping shrink the massive bubble this city is sitting on?

True.. but nobody wants to be the person who forced the nice little elderly woman out of her home due to rising taxes.

Probably to avoid a public lynching.

As I said in another thread, the average mortgage payment on a $800000 home with the current interest rates is between $3500 and $4500 dollars. That said, raise property taxes and the average person is paying alot of money they cannot afford.

You can raise taxes sure... but then what happens when people sell their property because they cannot afford to keep it?

Rock meet Hard Place.

Property Taxes on single family homes in Toronto are well below those in surrounding municipalities.

If the average homeowners in Markham, Mississauga, Whitby and Oakville are able to pay their property tax, a number, on average, more than 40% higher than what an average Toronto owner would pay, I think there's a fair bit of wiggle room to raise the number.

True.. but nobody wants to be the person who forced the nice little elderly woman out of her home due to rising taxes.

Non-issue, Toronto has a program specifically for seniors allowing them to defer a portion of their property taxes and then they are collected either on sale (while living) or from the estate thereafter.

Non-issue, Toronto has a program specifically for seniors allowing them to defer a portion of their property taxes and then they are collected either on sale (while living) or from the estate thereafter.
Won't stop The Star from running sob story articles about poor grannies being forced out of 4 bedroom houses by unfair tax hikes.

Property Taxes on single family homes in Toronto are well below those in surrounding municipalities.

If the average homeowners in Markham, Mississauga, Whitby and Oakville are able to pay their property tax, a number, on average, more than 40% higher than what an average Toronto owner would pay, I think there's a fair bit of wiggle room to raise the number.
Do you have evidence of this? I live in Toronto and the house taxes are pretty high considering the houses in Toronto generally take up less space and are usually smaller in sq ft. This is for older homes built before the 70s.

Do you have evidence of this?

Yes, I do.

That's property tax by .mil rate across the GTA and select other Ontario cities (% of assessed value).

Toronto is the lowest.

Here, you can see what that looks like in average payment, on average home price, in each area:

* note again, this is % of value, not based on ft2.

Yes, I do.

That's property tax by .mil rate across the GTA and select other Ontario cities (% of assessed value).

Toronto is the lowest.

Here, you can see what that looks like in average payment, on average home price, in each area:

* note again, this is % of value, not based on ft2.
Ok it looks like Toronto has the lowest mil rate which would make sense as we are the densest in the region and have the most scale.

However as Toronto’s land value is higher the actual amount paid is higher than the other regions. Also keep in mind Toronto separates water and garbage as a separate utility bills. In some other areas garbage is included. Also don’t forget that to buy in Toronto requires paying double land transfer tax. So all in Torontonians are heavily taxed to live and own property in the city.

Ok it looks like Toronto has the lowest mil rate which would make sense as we are the densest in the region and have the most scale.

However as Toronto’s land value is higher the actual amount paid is higher than the other regions. Also keep in mind Toronto separates water and garbage as a separate utility bills. In some other areas garbage is included. Also don’t forget that to buy in Toronto requires paying double land transfer tax. So all in Torontonians are heavily taxed to live and own property in the city.

As a renter, I pay a lot more in property tax than most owners. We can talk mil. rate when we pay the same one. LOL

Fair point. You pay a higher mil rate included in your rent yes but on absolute amounts. Toronto should align it and I think they have for new builds. Take a look at this city website:

Looks like new multi residence building have same mil rate as residential. I’m not sure what the ‘new’ applies to exactly.

Fair point. You pay a higher mil rate included in your rent yes but on absolute amounts. Toronto should align it and I think they have for new builds. Take a look at this city website:

Looks like new multi residence building have same mil rate as residential. I’m not sure what the ‘new’ applies to exactly.

You are correct, they have applied the same rate on new purpose-built-rental for awhile.

However, this doesn't apply to older properties.

From said link:

1673318442918.png

You can look at the total column, that matters, it suggest the premium in my rent is 78%

That is to say, I pay 78% more on assessed value that would an SFH homeowner.

But perhaps more of note is the difference in the left-most column. The base property tax rate for the City.

That rate is 108% higher for me, than a typical home owner in Toronto.

Back