News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 479     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I hate the Gardiner and wish it would go, too, but you need to actually do something about all the traffic that will be misplaced from it. Knocking it down without a solution would be such a Toronto thing to do and would make getting into downtown even more unbearable than it currently is.

We do not have, and are very, very far from having, even with GO Expansion, the kind of regional transit system that would actually allow us to dispose of the hideousness that is the Gardiner.

As on City website:

Toronto residents in houses will receive their waste collection schedule as the last page of an upcoming utility bill or through a separate mailing, and a Waste Management Guide will be mailed to all houses and apartments/condos by the end of the year.

The City began distributing waste collection schedules through the utility bill and sending out a condensed Waste Management Guide in place of the traditional Waste Management Calendar in 2022. The changes to how this waste information is distributed were approved by City Council as part of the 2021 Rate-Supported Budget and allow the City to reduce its environmental impact by decreasing the amount of material it prints and distributes.

As on City website:

Toronto residents in houses will receive their waste collection schedule as the last page of an upcoming utility bill or through a separate mailing, and a Waste Management Guide will be mailed to all houses and apartments/condos by the end of the year.

The City began distributing waste collection schedules through the utility bill and sending out a condensed Waste Management Guide in place of the traditional Waste Management Calendar in 2022. The changes to how this waste information is distributed were approved by City Council as part of the 2021 Rate-Supported Budget and allow the City to reduce its environmental impact by decreasing the amount of material it prints and distributes.
The problem will be that the current mailing will be filed somewhere and forgotten. While having it a real calendar hung on the wall would be accessible for a whole year.

The City's very useful TOInView website now has the 2024 projects! https://map.toronto.ca/toinview/ Lots to look at but very few 2024 projects have actually been added yet. (e.g. no sign yet of the supposed King Street improvements but we shall see, or not, in due course.)

Currently listed in 2025.

... having it a real calendar hung on the wall would be accessible for a whole year.
As with a year ago when they first sent it instead of the calendar in preceding years, I stuck the chart to the refrigerator to be able to quickly check which of the three bins should be used for particular items. Unless someone likes having one up somewhere to see a different picture each month (and I doubt the city's Waste and Recycling calendar was really anyone's choice for that), wall calendars are now largely pointless for most people because of mobile/electronic devices with calendars. Others could print out something at a public library or almost certainly find a cheap or free one if they still wanted to display their own hand-written reminders.
https://savvysavings.ca/free-2023-calendars/
Or reuse a calendar from 2017 or 2006.
Snoopy_calendar.JPG

I suppose you only need seven different non-leap-year ones, and if you can remember during a leap year that it will have a Feb. 29th, use one for the first two months, then another for the following ten months.

The city's calendars didn't list the scheduled Environment Days sites and dates, as those aren't arranged until March.
Edit: And btw, you have to be in a motor vehicle to drop off anything at these events? You're not allowed to walk into them, even if it's two blocks away from your home and you're only taking some small things like a few dead AAA batteries there? (click-on the "+" beside "Items for Drop-Off & Pickup")
... a safe motorized vehicle is required to drop off waste for disposal... Walk-ins, bicycles and manual transportation devices are not permitted...

Last edited:
The Mayor out w/the budget chief today to announce his support for a boost of nearly 50M for Toronto Police in the upcoming budget.

An increase of about 4.3%

The plan would see hiring of 200 net new officers, 90 new special constables and 20 new 911 operators with drips and drabs for other purposes.

I don't mind supporting some additional officers, particularly for primary response (so if you phone about a car theft, a porch pirate or the like) someone might actually come in real time...........as well as for better managing things on the TTC.
I'm also fine w/additional 911 staff as the City is growing and sometimes, in true emergencies, people are being put on hold, which should just not happen.

However, I think 90 more special constables is of debatable value, the 200 officer count is somewhat excessive; and I'd like to see the Mounted Unit nixed to fund the first 6M.
If we could carve out 20M of this increase to fund more washrooms in parks and on the TTC, more shelter beds, and more open hours for community centres and libraries I think we would be well served.

Frankly, I'd support alot more than +20M for all of the latter, but it would be a start.

Our fearless leader John Tory came out to increase funding to the TTC today, albeit not enough to ward off a fare increase of $0.10 to adult and student fares:

At this point I think it's time to just abolish the kids ride free non-sense policy. At a time where the TTC is using it's resources inadequately, and many routes are overcapacity, i'd rather have that additional money from there used to deploy additional safety resources on the system and free up capacity that's being wasted by kids hopping on for a couple stops only to leave other riders stranded

The fare increase, combined with increased violence on the system, and decrepit faltering service is just a recipe for disaster. The TTC is just begging to lose riders at this point.

Our fearless leader John Tory came out to increase funding to the TTC today, albeit not enough to ward off a fare increase of $0.10 to adult and student fares:

At this point I think it's time to just abolish the kids ride free non-sense policy. At a time where the TTC is using it's resources inadequately, and many routes are overcapacity, i'd rather have that additional money from there used to deploy additional safety resources on the system and free up capacity that's being wasted by kids hopping on for a couple stops only to leave other riders stranded

The fare increase, combined with increased violence on the system, and decrepit faltering service is just a recipe for disaster. The TTC is just begging to lose riders at this point.

From link.
Tory says the new fares represent a 3.1 per cent increase, which he says is “well-below inflation.”

From link.
According to the city, fares will be increased by 10 cents to cover the investments, marking a 3.1 per cent increase.

The city said its subsidy to the TTC in the 2023 budget is $958.7 million — a 5.87 per cent increase over the 2022 approved budget.

From link.
The Amsterdam-based multinational bank predicted Canada’s inflation to average 3.1% in 2023, dropping from an estimated 6.7% in 2022

Last edited:

Back