News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 430     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Favourite passtime of lifer Torontonians - whining about the 0 other places where they've never lived.

Actually, maybe it's the Jane-Jacobs-and-diversity thing, but "lifer" or not, I find that Torontonians in fact have a strong knack of *localizing* themselves wherever they go--i.e. they're seldom just "dumb tourists", they have a knack for the so-called ordinary, as if everyplace was just an extension of Toronto, just like Toronto's a microcosm of everyplace.

By comparison, the "whining" becomes like the yahoo argument that we shouldn't be rallying on behalf of our century-old streetscapes because there's stuff much older and "richer" abroad...

Favourite passtime of lifer Torontonians - whining about the 0 other places where they've never lived.

I think you should take a long hard look at your posting history before whining about other people complaining about cities in which they don't live. It would seem, most of your reason for being on *UrbanToronto* is to take digs at the city and its citizens.

This makes the TTC look functional.

As much as I would love a system as extensive as NYCs, having used it it's freakin' terrible. Opposing tracks (N/S, E/W, etc) are often not connected, meaning going into a station, paying a fare, only to realize you're on the wrong side for the direction you want to go means the MTA gets you for a double fare. On top of which the cattle-car seating means people get even more crowded. Then there's the frustration of express trains… You need documentation to know how to ride the MTA subway system for the first time. And yeah, then there's the delays.

What the heck does this even mean? Who in Toronto is whining about other places? They are too busy complaining about here.

Fourteen people have been shot over the long weekend in Toronto.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said there were 11 separate shootings since Saturday, with about 33 per cent of the occurrences taking place in the northwest end of the city.

More and more entertainment venues, ATMs, buses, streetcars, subway, condos, apartment buildings (including TCHC), stores, houses, and even public spaces are putting up security cameras. Cameras that record not on the premises, but either off site or in the cloud. That should include red light and speed cameras. As well, people are installed their own dash cams on their vehicles.

While they may not stop the shootings or stabbings, they help in recording the incidents (as well as before and after) for the police.

As much as I would love a system as extensive as NYCs, having used it it's freakin' terrible. Opposing tracks (N/S, E/W, etc) are often not connected, meaning going into a station, paying a fare, only to realize you're on the wrong side for the direction you want to go means the MTA gets you for a double fare. On top of which the cattle-car seating means people get even more crowded. Then there's the frustration of express trains… You need documentation to know how to ride the MTA subway system for the first time. And yeah, then there's the delays.

Oh no, I don't want their system. That video convinced me as much. I just found it interesting.

with about 33 per cent of the occurrences taking place in the northwest end of the city.

Shootings and stabbings are rare in my area of Scarborough. The most common reason for cops to show up is car crashes.

Fourteen people have been shot over the long weekend in Toronto.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said there were 11 separate shootings since Saturday, with about 33 per cent of the occurrences taking place in the northwest end of the city.
If you’re not a gold toothed gangsta or residing or visiting where they congregate you’re highly unlikely to ever experience or even (outside of the media) be aware of gun violence in this city. It’s safe out there.

If you’re not a gold toothed gangsta or residing or visiting where they congregate you’re highly unlikely to ever experience or even (outside of the media) be aware of gun violence in this city. It’s safe out there.

Liberty Village residents would not agree they are not aware of it, though their awareness comes from the realisation and disappointment that it was their coke dealer who was shot and killed and now they have to go all the way to the building across the street to find another one.

One of the shootings was just outside of a child care centre. One was outside of a fish market. One was at a Bridle Path mansion. One was a block from St. Lawrence Market. One was in Liberty Village.

Apparently, "gold toothed gangstas" congregate pretty much everywhere. Either that, or you need to drop your bias.

Back