News   Jul 16, 2024
 171     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 927     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

What do you mean by "more control"?
Our immigration rate is about 1% of our population per year. The Muslim proportion is a tiny share of that. So far, as a group they have been as hard working, law abiding as any other group, and perhaps more so.
I don't see a problem.

I would love to see statistics to back that up. I would find it hard to believe that immigrants from Somalia fare as economically successful or commit crimes at a rate similar to immigrants from China. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a statement like the one you made needs evidence to be taken seriously.

Goodbye, patios:

Toronto might soon have a lot fewer patios

Earlier this week there was a meeting at city hall that could change patio culture in Toronto forever, and not in a good way.

Annual licensing fees for patio spaces paid by restaurants, bars and cafes to the city haven't been reviewed since the GTA amalgamation in 1998, but in this most recent meeting the city is proposing a 350-400% tax increase. That's just below what patios in Manhattan currently pay.

It means existing bars, restaurants and cafes with sidewalk patios would have to pay upwards of $10,000 at the beginning of each year to operate their outdoor space.

Pope currently pays $1,400 to the city to operate his patio, but once these new taxes come in, he would be paying $14,000 and that means he'd have to downsize the patio space or close it down all together.

This City of Toronto document outlines the current fees businesses need to pay the city, and you can watch the entire Sidewalk Cafes and Marketing Displays: Fee Review - Municipal Licensing and Standards video via the city's YouTube channel.

"Patios create vibrancy in the neighbourhood, more people are walking around, it creates a safer, more interesting neighbourhood," Pope says. "The city is too afraid politically to raise property taxes so they're coming for small businesses."

In a statement e-mailed to us from Carleton Grant, Director, Policy and Strategic Support at the City of Toronto, he says the city is reviewing the bylaws and nothing is final.

"At this meeting we heard very clearly that the initial proposed permit fees, as presented, were too high. This was valuable feedback for us, and will be taken carefully into consideration during the review, which is ongoing and has not been finalized."

City staff will prepare a report with recommendations in April, 2017.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2017/02/toronto-patio-license/

My god this is such a bad idea. Just raise the damn property taxes and blame it on Wynne. How dense do you have to be to still refuse to do it.
It is mindnumbing. We have an excuse like no other presently to raise the property tax rate.

Raise it and blame it on Wynne.

TransitCitySaved_normal.jpg
Jonathan Goldsbie@goldsbie
3 mins ago
Well, then my dossier of screencaps will have to wait for another day.

Vjosa Isai@LaVjosa
Sources tell the Star #Kouvalis has also stepped away from the re-election campaigns of John Tory and B.C. Liberal Premier Christy Clark
Just means Tory will need to write the cheques out to Campaign Research.

Just means Tory will need to write the cheques out to Campaign Research.
Remains to be seen. Tory was careful not to burn his bridges (there's nothing in the budget to build new ones), but if Tory sticks to his new imposed by chance 'agenda', the only time he will have anything to do with Kouvalis is when ordering at a restaurant. I might be wrong, but Kouvalis' place is now toxic for all but the fringe. Ironically, his worst reception is among the Cons themselves. Anyone using Kouvalis, even via Campaign Research, is going to be considered a pox on the Cons' hope of winning next time around. Tim Powers' position and harsh words caught the zeitgeist of that.

If Tory wants to be re-elected Mayor, he won't have anything to do with Kouvalis.

Jeff Gray@jeffreybgray
Mayor says he talked to Kouvalis last night, encouraged him to deal with "personal issues." #TOpoli

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he was back on the bottle, thought it is no excuse for his conduct.

Kouvalis is out of the BC election, Tory's re-election and the Leitch campaign. His brand really took a hit...

Back