News   Jul 16, 2024
 682     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 745     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Another city program announced by Tory (likely with no budget money proposed for actually making it a reality)...

thekeenanwire 11:32am via Twitter Web Client
Jaye Robinson, at Mayor's scheduled presser, announcing a "road safety plan" that is "based on Vision Zero"

The most effective road safety measures involve physical changes like narrowing or removing lanes, and introducing minor obstacles to cause drivers to slow down and provide refuges for pedestrians. Given Tory's suburban base that will never happen here.

Some bridges only have jump barriers where there is a roadway underneath. It's not just to prevent suicides.

I know. If anything, the Luminous Veil was constructed to protect drivers on the DVP.

Have there been many cases where those who took their own life also did so to a motorist? Suicides are usually not reported for sensitivity reasons, so I don't know if any accidents that are also involved would be either. I know that suicides have also been a problem on the subway.

Also, wasn't the Luminous Veil constructed in particular at the site since it was a major suicide "magnet" (I think 3rd or 2rd in the world at some point), so that there is some phenomenon where certain places that have had suicides in the past attract more for some unfortunate reason (San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, the forest near Mt. Fuji). I don't know why the Viaduct, as opposed to anywhere else, had ranked so highly to begin with as a problem hotspot though.

Comparing Tory's 10 congestion hotspots to the 2013 version...

Screen shot 2016-01-07 at 2.55.23 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-01-07 at 2.55.32 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-07 at 2.55.23 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-07 at 2.55.23 AM.png
    409.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Screen shot 2016-01-07 at 2.55.32 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-07 at 2.55.32 AM.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 241
Pretty bold move by Tory, especially considering the polling which shows public disapproval of the Ontario Hydro sell off.

So this is how we pay for all the previously announced "upgrades" like Sunday TTC service improvements and TCHC backlog repairs...

AdrianMorrow 10:45am via Twitter Web Client
Despite @JohnTory's carefully worded semi-denials, it's true: there's a Toronto Hydro privatization plan.

Apparently the Toronto Parking Authority is also on the table. This is what you get Toronto when you vote for a conservative that is 85% of Rob Ford's policies and 200% more syllables. Everything that has happened so far is exactly what I expected. The only difference between him and Ford is that Tory is actually capable of pulling off such a brazen fiscal stupidity to help pay for his pet project.

Screen shot 2015-11-19 at 12.50.20 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-19 at 12.50.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-19 at 12.50.20 PM.png
    328.6 KB · Views: 450
That anti-Tory account blocked me for some reason. All I said was that Toronto has the lowest taxes in the GTA...

This is why I never debate anyone on twitter. Because crap like this happens all the time whenever someone doesn't like what you have to say.

Screen shot 2015-10-10 at 2.38.27 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-10 at 2.38.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-10 at 2.38.27 PM.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 427
This is why I never debate anyone on twitter. Because crap like this happens all the time whenever someone doesn't like what you have to say.

View attachment 63392

Same applies to this forum, but that results in arbitrary bannings.

Ari Goldkind has written great articles on this topic: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/04/weve-become-self-righteous-censors

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/23/the-age-of-the-opiniphobe
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/04/weve-become-self-righteous-censors
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/04/weve-become-self-righteous-censors

Last edited:
So, this year's budget will probably see Toronto Hydro and TPA put on the auction block. How about some suggestions for next year's budget shortfall? And the budget shortfalls after that? Anyone interested in buying a dozen nearly-new streetcars?

Remember when the Progressive Conservative government sold Highway 407 for the cash, to help with the provincial budget. Now the province needs the money, but there is nothing coming in from the 407, except maybe income tax from the company running it.

For the city, selling off Toronto Hydro and the TPA, will the city get income tax from them? The city doesn't have income tax, like some U.S. cities do, just property tax. How much property tax would the city get per hydro pole?

New York City has an income tax ranging from 2.907% to 3.648%. See link.

Remember when the Progressive Conservative government sold Highway 407 for the cash, to help with the provincial budget. Now the province needs the money, but there is nothing coming in from the 407, except maybe income tax from the company running it.

For the city, selling off Toronto Hydro and the TPA, will the city get income tax from them? The city doesn't have income tax, like some U.S. cities do, just property tax. How much property tax would the city get per hydro pole?

New York City has an income tax ranging from 2.907% to 3.648%. See link.
Why not just allocate the money the city gets every year from Toronto Hydro and state it will go towards transit (and even pick a particular project). If the city gets $150M-2ooM every year (not sure exactly how much), in 5 years that is $750M-1B. At least even after 5 years the city will still be collecting the dividend money. Don't these politician get it. Once an asset is sold the money is gone forever

Back