News   Oct 02, 2024
 272     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 394     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 782     0 

Mau has designs on Chicago

I doubt his presence is supressing any burgeoning designers, indeed perhaps the opposite is true.

Most of the local designers I know see Mau as a self-promoting, albeit talented, windbag.

Agreed. Why not just open up a branch office in Chicago and fly to meet those clients that find it hard-going making the trek all the way up here to Toronto

Because you can be closer to your clients all the time. You can be a film agent, for example, in Toronto but you'd have an easier time of it if you were actually located in LA. Same idea here.

Did anyone find Mau a little too "used goods"? His mark on design here in Toronto is so ubiquitious, it's about as exciting as seeing yet another KPMB project in the city.

AoD

Are KPMB moving operations to Chicago as well? I think he's done the rounds pretty well here. But it's still a shame that he feels the need to leave the city in order to grow.

But perhaps it is better that he's leaving :\

"a self-promoting, albeit talented, windbag."

Then perhaps the windy city is a perfect fit :smokin

If he wants to design shopping bags and soup labels in Chicago, that's his choice.

Are KPMB moving operations to Chicago as well?
Well, the reason that KPMB is KPMB is that their boss moved operations to L.A., remember. (And "Massive Change" was the last exhibition in said boss's last T-Dot design, small world, huh)

Incestuous. Perhaps the Toronto gene pool is too shallow- time to spread he creative seed elsewhere.

When a few friends and I saw Massive Change at the AGO it struck us more as an exercise in attractive exhibition design - and a calling card / portfolio piece for Mau - than anything else; the message that good-design-can-save-the-world is clearly new to more people in Chicago than here.

I recall similar underwhelming reviews, I guess he figured he could go swim with bigger fish in a bigger pond - which he will. Toronto's loss I suppose.

As far as those describing him as a "windbag" I'm sure his success appeared unwarranted, unjust, cruel, heart-rending...unbearable...ultimately unacceptable.

He's told us to **** off. Good for him.

Institute Without Borders

How will this affect the Institute Without Boundaries? I was hoping that this would form the nucleus of a second art school for Toronto.

Re: Institute Without Borders

"He's told us to **** off. Good for him."

Seems to be a recurring theme. Maybe when he's about 80, after an illustrious international career, he will return to Toronto, with suitable humility, to thank the people and place that informed him.

Somewhere in the city (NPS?) we should erect a statue: a massive plinth with bronze springboard.

... or a pile of pennies: Small Change.

Seems to be a recurring theme. Maybe when he's about 80, after an illustrious international career, he will return to Toronto, with suitable humility, to thank the people and place that informed him.

He's nearly 50, so I don't think it will be the same situation we have with Gehry.

And unlike Gehry, he's still got an office here (and not an "office of convenience until we finish this project", either)

Back