News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 915     1 

Martin to field questions today on Cross Country Checkup

This certainly has been blown out of proportion... and it certainly makes you understand why Chretien was called Teflon Jean... he could do no wrong. NT, that analysis is absolutely right. By attacking this issue head on, the Liberals are suffering in the polls. Clearly, doing the right thing and doing what's politically smart are two very different things. Yes, I'm a biased Martin supporter, but I hope he recovers and wins a huge majority... mostly because it's extremely unfair that he's having to deal with Chretien's mess like this.

afransen TO
I think this whole issue has been blown out of proportion.
:lol !
Well, in light of the fact that Canada Steamship Lines had $160 million worth of business instead of the $1.6 million as reported, then, yes, no doubt about it, the sponsorship scandal is blown way out of proportion.
The true outrage ought to be over the obscenely reduced figure reported concerning the amount of business Martin's company had with the feds. What? Martin didn't know?

I'm no fan of Martin, but I agree it is too far out of proportion. I am more concerned about Martin's ideologies and policies over some stupid scandal.

This may be the Canadian Watergate.
Even the Star can't claim that this is not freakin' huge.

Belinda must be thrilled!

Daddy's gonna buy her a political party, AND she's gonna be Canada's prettiest blonde Prime Minister ever, all in the same year.

Actually, pundits are saying that the current situation is bad for Belinda. People were leaning towards her when they thought that she would have four years to learn the ropes and challenge in 2008. Now that it seems like there's a hair's breadth chance that they might be the governing party in 2004, people are choking at the thought of Prime Minister Belinda.

Clement, despite looking like Milhouse, has the political experience and the Ontario base. He's the one sitting pretty.

Don't lend this party much credence, however, until the NDP numbers start to drop. When that happens, that means that the left side of the country have started to take the Conservative party seriously.

...James

Don't lend this party much credence, however, until the NDP numbers start to drop. When that happens, that means that the left side of the country have started to take the Conservative party seriously.
Indeed. If the Conservatives start to poll any higher, you'll probably start to see the Liberal numbers rise a bit as the soft NDP-support starts thinking more strategically and plants their vote with the Liberals instead of with Jack & Co.

Jamerinbow...Are you ready to make any new seat projections should an election still be called for May?

I saw Belinda during a radio talk-in show that was partially broadcast on television. She was completely clueless on most every question that was asked of her. One debate is all it will take, and she will fall apart at the seams.

Some more shocking news this morning: Hamilton MP Bryden quits Liberals. He is looking to join the Conservatives.

If an election were held today, who would you be voting for AreBe? Im curious.

I'd like to see Clement win (as he can read a book and is not a wacko) , 2nd choice is Balinda Stronach, with her 1.5 years of university, and last choice is Harper.

But, perhaps I'd vote for Martin...
Well, I like getting kicked in the balls. The Conservatives have a one- track mind: economic growth for all. They are not inot kicking people in the balls.
If the Liberals loose, I'd have to pay somone to kick me in the balls. Heck, even homelsess people shy away.I chase them and tell them "$20.00 if you give me a swift kick in the balls!" but they just run away and look at me as if I'm getting in their way. But with the Liberals in power, a kick to the balls is part of the deal.

THE REPORT FALLOUT

By JEFFREY SIMPSON

UPDATED AT 1:26 PM EST Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2004

Advertisement

OTTAWA -- The sponsorship scandal is a complete nightmare for Prime Minister Paul Martin. No silver lining exists anywhere.

Political redemption might yet happen, but it remains a long way off. And it might never come because Canadian politics has become unhinged for the first time in more than a decade.

The Liberals' collapse has been stunning. Ten days ago, before the Auditor-General's report, Liberal support stood at 48 per cent in Ipsos-Reid surveys. The company's poll in today's Globe and Mail puts the Liberals at 35 per cent. A majority government -- a sure thing a week ago -- cannot be stitched together from 35 per cent.

Consider the damage behind these raw numbers.

With the Liberals apparently cruising toward re-election, the party was attracting strong candidates -- and a few star candidates -- across Canada, even in places such as British Columbia where the party had struggled. A strong crop of local candidates coupled with a popular party leader spelled Liberal gains.

Now, many of these candidates will say no thanks. This scandal, and the downdraft in Liberal support, will scare them off so that even if Mr. Martin recovers from the scandal, he'll find a weaker team of candidates.

Leave the candidates aside. The biggest loser is Mr. Martin himself. He has now been buffeted by three knocks against his character, and his character was the Liberal Party's single strongest asset heading toward an election.

First, the RCMP raided the offices of two of his organizers in British Columbia.

The reasons for the investigation have not been made public, but these two (and others) were involved in swamping ridings with instant Liberals to help secure delegates for Mr. Martin in his battle for the leadership.

Then, Mr. Martin was embarrassed over CSL, his family's shipping company. Asked in October, 2002, how much federal money CSL received over the previous decade, the government answered $137,000. Recently, however, the government has provided another answer -- $161-million.

This whopping difference was attributed to clerical errors. Average taxpayers -- and the opposition parties -- were properly skeptical, if not incredulous, at the astonishing difference.

Now comes the sponsorship scandal. The Ipsos-Reid poll shows 67 per cent of respondents believe Mr. Martin knew "a lot" or "something" about the sponsorship scandal while it was happening.

The deepest convictions are in Quebec, Mr. Martin's own province, where the Liberals had been riding high. There, 57 per cent of Quebeckers believe the Prime Minister knew "a lot" about the scandal, compared with 33 per cent in the rest of Canada.

Today's Ipsos-Reid poll has now caught up to the CROP poll in La Presse on Saturday. It showed a staggering drop of almost 17 points in Liberal support in Quebec. The first Ipsos-Reid poll, published Saturday, found a five-point fall, whereas the one today reports numbers close to those of CROP.

The Bloc Québécois, given up for moribund before the scandal, now enjoys a huge lead over the Liberals -- about 2 to 1 among francophones. All those Liberal hopes for huge gains in Quebec have at least temporarily disappeared.

Quebeckers often follow federal affairs less attentively than people elsewhere in Canada. Not this time. Their awareness is as high, or higher, than people outside Quebec. After all, the scandal occurred in their province. And Quebeckers are angry because they feel the scandal reflects unfairly on them.

Quebeckers rally to nationalist figures when they believe their province is being attacked, insulted or humiliated by the rest of Canada. When they hear people insinuating this is the way politics is done in Quebec, they stand up for themselves by turning away from federalist parties. And that means Mr. Martin's Liberals.

Mr. Martin's chosen method for defusing the scandal is the riskiest possible. He has decided to make himself responsible for cleaning up the mess. He has used language as fierce as that of the Auditor-General. He has reopened the wounds with the Chrétien wing of the party. He has legitimized and stoked public anger now being directed at himself, the Liberal Party and the Liberal record. He is now identified with the issue and its resolution.

Rather than trying to diminish the problems, he has magnified them with his own rhetoric. His entire reputation as Prime Minister is on the line. The public inquiry might take several years. It cannot finish before an election. Therefore, Mr. Martin cannot possibly satisfy Canadians that he has "gotten to the bottom" of the scandal before the vote.

That impossibility, combined with continuing public restlessness, suggests that heads must roll, likely at Crown corporations, in the weeks or days ahead to assuage public anger.

jsimpson@globeandmail.ca

Fallout from a scandal

Jan. 15; Feb. 14; Today

Liberal

48%; 39%; 35%

Cons.

19%; 24%; 27%

NDP

16%; 18%; 17%

Whom do you blame?

Chretien; 29%

Martin; 22%

Gagliano; 16%

Public service; 7%

All of the above; 12%

© 2004 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Bryden leaves Liberals

By DARREN YOURK
Globe and Mail Update

POSTED AT 12:15 PM EST &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2004

Advertisement

The sponsorship scandal plaguing the Liberal government appears to be costing more than percentage points in public opinion polls.

John Bryden announced Tuesday that he is leaving the party after more than a decade in Parliament.

The MP for the southern Ontario riding of Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Aldershot released a statement that read “Liberal MP Bryden quits party. Looks to the Conservatives.â€

William Stairs, a spokesman for the Conservative Party, told globeandmail.com that Mr. Bryden has not contacted the party about joining, but he is more than welcome to do so.

“He's a big fan of opening up access to information and has been a big critic of his government,†Mr. Bryden said. “All I can assume is that what he is seeing and what he is hearing in his party he doesn't like.

“I think the Liberals chickens are starting to come home to roost.â€

Mr. Bryden is an associate member of the Commons public accounts committee which is reviewing the sponsorship scandal.

John Williams, the Conservative MP who chairs the committee, told CBC Newsworld the scandal is the reason Mr. Bryden is leaving.

“I knew that John was quite uncomfortable with the Liberal Party,“ Mr. Williams said. “He's obviously decided that enough is enough and it is time to pack his bags and get going.“ “I think John may be the first if many.“

Mr. Bryden has called a news conference for Tuesday afternoon to discuss his decision.

He was first elected to House of Commons in October, 1993, and re-elected in 1997 and 2000.

Mr. Bryden served on the standing committees for Citizenship and Immigration, Government Operations, Industry, Indians Affairs and Public Accounts.

Before entering politics, Mr. Bryden worked in the newspaper industry.

He was a reporter, police reporter, art critic, features writer, Burlington bureau chief, city editor at The Hamilton Spectator from 1969-1977. He also worked at both The Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star.

© 2004 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

If Caligula could make his horse a senator, there's no reason why Tory voters can't make Belinda a Prime Minister.

Are you ready to make any new seat projections should an election still be called for May?

No. For a couple of reasons. For one thing, there's still a lot of time, and Paul Martin's PR counterattack hasn't really started. The Cross-Country Checkup appearance turned more than a few heads and people were impressed with his willingness to take criticism head on. Compare that with George Bush's lacklustre and mealy-mouthed appearance on Meet the Press.

Secondly, there's a big Ace up the Liberals' sleeve, and that's the budget. Current projections suggest that the surplus for the first nine months of 2003 can be as high as $5 billion, suggesting that the final budget surplus could be as high as $8 billion. That means he has room to maneouver. He could, for instance supply all of the promised funding for health care and make a first big stab on the new deal for the cities. And this doesn't include the money he could dip into by cancelling the Atlantic Canada and Western Economic Diversification agencies (which the Conservatives have campaigned to cut).Such bold moves during the budget could turn things around rapidly.

Finally, the Conservatives don't have a leader, and they won't have a coherent policy by the time it comes to an election. Martin only needs to play on the wedge issues within the Conservative party (same sex marriage, tax issues, etc) and he's facing a broken party again.

So, all told, it's too early to change my prediction.

...James

Interesting times in federal politics.... too bad this is very backward looking and not forward looking attention.

Honestly, I'd rather they quietly took care of this but pressed on with more important matters. We should waste months of the federal government's time on something we already know happened.

Back