News   May 21, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 760     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 559     0 

M1 + M2 + Metropolis + Parkside Condos (Liberty Development) - Real Estate -

Status update*

I just called Liberty, and they said that they are preparing to send out letters this week.

I just spoke to Silvia at Liberty as well. She was able to tell me how much I would be getting back from them. So we get back what we paid for as property taxes as part of our interim-occupancy fee less some amount that is the taxes Liberty had to pay (some $250 for me).

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems ridiculous. That essentially means we are being double taxed. During our interim-occupancy we also had to pay our condo fees as part of the interim-occupancy fee. These condo fees should cover any shared costs, such as property taxes on common elements, which is what I am assuming Liberty is trying to push that cost down on us. Considering we paid the full condo fees during the inter-occupancy when there were no amenities available for use, they have quite the nerve to then go and push those property taxes cost down on us.

Any thoughts?

I just spoke to Silvia at Liberty as well. She was able to tell me how much I would be getting back from them. So we get back what we paid for as property taxes as part of our interim-occupancy fee less some amount that is the taxes Liberty had to pay (some $250 for me).

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems ridiculous. That essentially means we are being double taxed. During our interim-occupancy we also had to pay our condo fees as part of the interim-occupancy fee. These condo fees should cover any shared costs, such as property taxes on common elements, which is what I am assuming Liberty is trying to push that cost down on us. Considering we paid the full condo fees during the inter-occupancy when there were no amenities available for use, they have quite the nerve to then go and push those property taxes cost down on us.

Any thoughts?

I completely agree. It sounds like a load of crap. So they deducted $250 from the total to be refunded to you for this?

That's right. So you get back what you paid in taxes to liberty during interim-occupance, less the $250 (may be less or more depending on your unit I would assume).

I'll be attending the Nov 12th meet and greet.

I'm a bit confused about the occupancy fees. I understand that you pay the interest on the amount owing, so it would be about 3.7% on the remaining 80% that's still owed, plus the full monthly maintenance fee charges, plus property tax?

Say you move in in February during the occupancy period, and the building doesn't close until June. When you get your property tax bill from the city, will they charge you starting from February when you're technically renting? Or will they start billing you from June once you actually own the unit? I'm guessing they start billing you from February (from what I understood above) and then Liberty refunds you what you paid them less $250?

I'll be attending the Nov 12th meet and greet.

I'm a bit confused about the occupancy fees. I understand that you pay the interest on the amount owing, so it would be about 3.7% on the remaining 80% that's still owed, plus the full monthly maintenance fee charges, plus property tax?

Say you move in in February during the occupancy period, and the building doesn't close until June. When you get your property tax bill from the city, will they charge you starting from February when you're technically renting? Or will they start billing you from June once you actually own the unit? I'm guessing they start billing you from February (from what I understood above) and then Liberty refunds you what you paid them less $250?

You will get a bill from Feb to whenever the government finishes assesing property tax amount. The builder will pay from Feb to June, minus some fees (not sure what yet). You will have to pay the city first, liberty will reimburse you with a cheque.

I just got my letter from Liberty - and it seems like a ridiculously small amount :( And they don't even give you a break down of how they are calculating this amount that the are deducting. I'm itching to argue, but at the same time I wonder if arguing will even do anything...

I just got my letter from Liberty - and it seems like a ridiculously small amount :( And they don't even give you a break down of how they are calculating this amount that the are deducting. I'm itching to argue, but at the same time I wonder if arguing will even do anything...

Perhaps talk with your lawyer? My lawyer was saying that they should be paying the entire bill for during occupency.

Perhaps talk with your lawyer? My lawyer was saying that they should be paying the entire bill for during occupency.

I got my letter as well today and it was pretty much what they had told me, the amount I paid during interim-occupancy less about $250. So I called up the Liberty Controller (the person who signed the letter), and basically what he explained to me was that Liberty had already paid a portion of the property taxes to the city on our behalf, and that is what the $250 is. The bill we received is for the remainder of the property taxes owing.

At first that made sense. But then I looked at the actual bill from the city. We are being charged the full 2010 rates prorated for the period we are actually living in our new home. So how can Liberty claim that they paid some of this on our behalf when we are getting a bill for the full amount (the same amount anyone else in the city is paying). There is no credit on our bill for the amount supposedly "already paid" by Liberty.

Needless to say I don't buy a word of their crap story they are telling me and I will be calling back tomorrow for a further explanation or demanding the money that they owe me. I will keep you guys posted.

Back