News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

LuminaTO - Floating Artworks

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Descriptions taken from the official Luminato site.

Homographies, Subsculpture 7
By Rafael Lozano-Hemmer
Linkway between TD Tower and Ernst Young Tower
Enter through Ernst Young Tower 222 Bay Street

Homographies is an interactive installation featuring robotic fluorescent light fixtures controlled by computerized surveillance systems. As people walk under the piece, the light tubes rotate to create labyrinthine patterns of light that are "paths" or "corridors" between them. In Homographies the "vanishing point" is not architectural, but rather connective, as it is determined by who is there at any given time and varies accordingly. This gives a reconfigurable light-space that is based on flow, on motion, on lines of sight.

Rafael Lozano-Hemmer was born in Mexico City in 1967. He received a B.Sc. in Physical Chemistry from Concordia University in Montréal, Canada, where he now lives and works. Lozano-Hemmer’s interactive installations have been featured internationally in museums and at biennials and he has been selected to represent Mexico at the 2007 Venice Biennale.

DSCN2845.jpg

DSCN2846.jpg

DSCN2848.jpg

DSCN2849.jpg

Canon enigmatico a 108 voces
By Abraham Cruzvillegas

The high modern style of the Mies van der Rohe designed Toronto-Dominion Centre is transformed with a touch of the everyday by artists Abraham Cruzvillegas and Dan Steinhilber. Cruzvillegas’s Canon enigmatico a 108 voces strings together buoys – floating them not in the water, but up in the air. Plain, wire clothes hangers are used by Steinhilber to explore light and space at the point where common objects meet high art.

DSCN2853.jpg

DSCN2854.jpg

DSCN2855.jpg

DSCN2856.jpg

Untitled
By Dan Steinhilbe

Abraham Cruzvillegas is a Mexican born writer and artist, who has had solo exhibitions across the United States and has been presented internationally at various biennials, including Venice and Sao Paulo. Dan Steinhilber is an artist based in Washington, D.C., his works of common objects including shampoo bottles, plastic forks, and disposable dishes were recently presented at a solo exhibition at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden and at the Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston.

DSCN2850.jpg

DSCN2851.jpg

DSCN2852.jpg

Le Grand Mobile
By Xavier Veilhan
181 Bay Street

Xavier Veilhan’s Le Grand Mobile makes its Canadian premiere in the cathedral-like heights of the Allen Lambert Galleria, BCE Place, where its black orbs hang sharply against the white ribs of the ceiling. Conceived as a suspended landscape that blends transparently into its surroundings, the monumentally scaled mobile’s twenty-five black spheres move effortlessly against the white ribs of the galleria forming a unique experience through contrast and surprise that is impossible to miss.

Xavier Veilhan is a leading figure of the French contemporary art scene, who works in a variety of media including photography, sculpture, film, installation art and painting. Recently he presented a 55-minute performance piece featuring video installations, a swinging meteorite sculpture, and a collaboration with the electronica music duo, air. Veilhan’s work has been exhibited internationally, with retrospectives and significant installation at Musee d’Art Contemporain de Strasbourg, Centre Pompidou, and the Tate Modern.

DSCN2858.jpg

DSCN2859.jpg

DSCN2860.jpg

DSCN2861.jpg

DSCN2863.jpg

Quadriga
By Max Streicher
65 Front Street West

Above the hustle and bustle of rush hour and the coming and going of travellers, Max Streicher’s four horses are a traditional symbol of triumph raised into the heights of the Great Hall, Union Station. Meticulously sewn using lightweight materials, the monumental sculpture highlights travel, activity, and the history of transportation. Quadriga transforms this public thoroughfare with awe and delight, providing an accidental encounter with art for the thousands who enter Toronto throughout the day.

Max Streicher is a sculptor and installation artist from Toronto. Since 1991 he has worked extensively with kinetic inflatable forms. He has exhibited his work across Canada in numerous public galleries and artist-run centres. He has completed several site-related projects, most recently in Venice, Siena, Stockholm and Erfurt, Germany. He was a founding member of the Nethermind collective of artists which organized four large exhibitions in alternative spaces in Toronto between 1991 and 1995.

Max Streicher appears courtesy of Artcore/Fabrice Marcolini

DSCN2865.jpg

DSCN2866.jpg

DSCN2867.jpg

DSCN2868.jpg

More LuminaTO adventures can be found here.

Jason - you're doing a great job cataloging these!

One of the Quadriga horses has deflated, so now it is 3 horses and a white blob.

It is actually kind of a shame that we dont have more pieces like these in our downtown buildings on a permanent basis.

I really wish "Homographies, Subsculpture 7" in the TD Centre was a permanent installation.

I really wish "Homographies, Subsculpture 7" in the TD Centre was a permanent installation.
So do I. It really helps to animate what is basically a corridor between two office buildings. Moreover, it also helps create an artistic flow as one walks towards the Design Exchange.

E-mail Cadillac-Fairview and tell them to invest in Canadian art!

I know TD Bank Financial Group has a very extensive and significant collection of Canadian art and even employs a full-time curator at head office to administer it. Cadillac-Fairview, on the other hand, I have no clue!

One of the Quadriga horses has deflated, so now it is 3 horses and a white blob.
I noticed that, too.

For some reason, I also have this strange Sergio Aragones-esque vision of a custodian cursing at having to clear away diaphanous white horse droppings...

By saturday the horsie was inflated again- looked pretty cool. That's a lot of sewing. I also liked Le Grande Mobile at BCE, but I'm glad they're not a permanent fixture.

I loved the contrast of the Deep Black balls floating in the BCE galleria.
And here's another vote hoping the lights at TD stay put.

Back