News   May 22, 2024
 473     1 

Low Rise Residential 2: From the 1970's

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Continued from another thread ...

Late Modernism

You couldn't really do a series on low-rise buildings without having an example from St. Lawrence. Crombie Park, by Irving Grossman, combines a school in the lower reaches, has some commercial space, and is residential on the upper floors. Though I tend to find the neighbourhood underwhelming architecturally, when considered individually the buildings are quite fine, and certainly they have held up well, providing a good quality of life to those living there.

CrombiePark1.jpg

Market Square (Jerome Markson, 1982) is one of Toronto's most successful low-rise residential developments ever, carefully placed into its context along Front Street, and offering views of St. James Cathedral. I do find the car entrance ugly and oppressive, and wonder if the ground level could be improved somehow. Still, it's a worthy addition to the neighbourhood.

MarketSquareWest1.jpg

Beford Glen (Annau Associates, 1976) is a remarkable ensemble that won a few architectural awards, in my view well-deserved. It's such a strange building, almost wedding-cake in its exuberance with those arches and a remarkable bridge spanning its units, underpasses, and overpasses and whatnot, yet it holds together. When I see this, I feel I see architects wanted to be lifted out of the spareness of strict modernism, and I'm glad they did, in this case.

BedfordGlen40Sylvan_1.jpg

Another piece of beautiful late modernism is this two-building collection called The Oaklands by DuBois & Associates (approx 1981), which won awards before and after it was built. This building has an almost industrial feeling, yet it is warm and inviting.

315AvenueRd1.jpg

Post Mo

The Derby (1988, Dermot J. Sweeney) has always struck me as one of Toronto's better post-mos, and the fact that it exists at all reflects a charming faith in this neighbourhood, so many years away at that time from gentrification. Its existence there, still surrounded by many an empty lot, never fails to impress me.

TheDerby.jpg

I guess the St. James is postmodern, though Quadrangle's historical references seem more copied than quoted. This long thin strip of a building for contains more units than it initially appears to, and fits in wonderfully with its established neighbourhood without calling too much attention to itself. It's a style that doesn't generally work for me, yet I find much to admire about this example.

TheStJames.jpg

Quadrangle's Old York Tower (1997) was one of the co-ops that slipped in under Mike Harris' hatchet - it was just a tad too far along in the process to be cancelled. The collection of buildings that together form an inner courtyard on this block in St. Lawrence strike me as very appropriate successors to the earlier Crombie-Park affairs. Anyways, who couldn't get a smile from that happy fish?

OldYorkTower1.jpg

OldYorkTower3.jpg

Around the corner from Old York, is duToit's New Hibret co-op (also 1997). In this case, more clearly postmodern, perhaps a bit less sucessful or maybe more gaudy than the others that make up the block, I wonder how this will age?

NewHibretCo-op1.jpg

Other?

I don't know what I would call this building, in terms of its style. It is tucked away at a dead end facing a ravine, and the upper floors were added by Strasman Architects. As an ensemble, it really fails to hold together, yet who wouldn't want to live in that uppermost unit, with its access to views and incredible quiet in the middle of the city.

600Lonsdale.jpg

Again, not quite sure how to classify the lego-like 2003 Casa Abruzzo up near the 401. Postmodern, I suppose, but post after what modern, exactly? Anyways, they tried.
CasaAbruzzo1.jpg

I couldn't find much information about this cheerful pile in Parkdale called Cathedral Place, but its various jutting angles and use of colour appeal to me (less so the jutting air conditioners).

CathedralPlace.jpg

Recent Modernism
You'd really have to start any discussion of recently-built modernist lowrise residential buildings in Toronto with 20 Niagara (Wallman, Clewes, Bergman - 1998). Winner of several awards, and the building that showed how to do it, as it gracefully overlooks that little square at the end of Wellington. (I have to say, though, I find it hard to reconcile the back end of this building, which is butt-ugly. Still …)

20Niagara1.jpg

The irritatingly named Zen Lofts (Core, 2005) provide a stripped-down face to Camden Street, and are one of the first buidings to employ the somewhat tired "three sided open box" on the top of the building. Still, we could do with more of these.

ZenLofts1.jpg

Evangel Hall (AA, 2006), with its charcoal brick, staggered windows, and big letters down the side, pleases me no end.

EvangelHall1.jpg

I recall that some on the forum reacted badly to One-Six-Nine (Core, 2006) for its use of concrete. I like this building, though, with its gently curving windows facing Queen. It's always been a puzzle to me why some buildings can get away with windows facing onto the lot directly beside them (as in this case), where most often there seems to be a blank façade. Let's hope for the folks who live here that the lowrise (here the brickish Young Thai, but since converted to the pinkish Umbra store) doesn't get built up in the next while, or they will lose their views.

OneSixNine1.jpg

More than any other building in the city, this pleasant concoction on Kingston Road (Core, 2006) fills me with optimism for the city's boulevards initiative. Kingston Road could use a hundred more like this spare, appropriate building along it's sidewalks.

601KingstonRd.jpg

Other recent

25 Leonard Avenue is not a beauty by any means, but this former office tower tucked in behind the Toronto Western Hospital has won a few awards for the addition of units on the top of the building, handled in an innovative way by Levitt Goodman Architects.

25LeonardAve1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this, Archivist. In the "We hate Toronto" thread in Toronto Issues, I lamented how Toronto was just a little too small up until the late 1910s to build serious low and midrise apartment blocks to any large degree. We're making up for it now and in spades!

Would you consider the Morgan and King's Landing too tall to fit in this category? Also, Saucier + Perrotte's new New College rez is technically institutional, but it houses students and it's an exemplary midrise building. Oh, and we can't forget Thom Mayne's Grad house up the street!

Finally, I've been thinking about the avenues plan and how Toronto's commercial streets often rely on informal "landmark" buildings that sort of puncture above the two-storey streetscape to anchor a neighbourhood. For example, Jilly's and the Gladstone are both four and five storey high Victorian piles that due to the low-rise nature of their surroundings seem to tower above the area. I've been thinking that our midrise buildings should serve a similar purpose in the low-rise parts of the urban 416. Newer buildings like Home (the Context-designed building on Bloor just easy of Bloor West Village) and the Hazelton do this very nicely.

Hipster - when I went with TOBuilt I adopted Emporis definition of 12 and more storeys as being "high-rise". These distinctions are always questionable though, but for me the Morgan and King's Court would be high-rises. I would also definitely have included the fabulous Masters buildings in Etobicoke, but I have them as highrise too.

New College Rez and Grad House could definitely be added to this, though.

Spire - I don't actually know the year for St. James - though around 1999 if memory serves. Quadrangle is the architectural firm. Anybody out there know for sure?

Archivist: I'm glad you posted the image of Ernest Annau's Bedford Glen. It's the sort of thing Safdie tried with Habitat - creating a "sense of house" in a multi-unit building. I expect the neighbours were happy - the form swipes the idea of "house" and tries to do something non-threatening with it. Perhaps we're seeing a similarly reactionary approach with such buildings as Teeple's Gansevoort, which denies the idea of an apartment tower as a statement of the collective in favour of breaking it down into something that can be passed off as a series of visibly differentiated individual units. Will that approach find more favour than the plain Jane industrial aesthetic of the emerging King and Bathurst neighbourhood, for instance, and such buildings as 20 Niagara and Zen? And will time be kind to PoMo such as Casa Abruzzo? I'm not sure what point the architect was trying to make with that one. It seems to be part of the same class of buildings designed to "bury Modernism" that didn't.

In the early 1980s, when my partner and I used to rove about town ogling other peoples' homes, we'd lust after Annau's Walker Avenue houses, which had just been built.

I recall that some on the forum reacted badly to One-Six-Nine (Core, 2006) for its use of concrete. I like this building, though, with its gently curving windows facing Queen. It's always been a puzzle to me why some buildings can get away with windows facing onto the lot directly beside them (as in this case), where most often there seems to be a blank façade. Let's hope for the folks who live here that the lowrise (here the brickish Young Thai, but since converted to the pinkish Umbra store) doesn't get built up in the next while, or they will lose their views.

The blank facades are due to the limiting distance rules in the Building Code. The closer a building face is to the lot line, the lower the percentage of unprotected openings (i.e. windows, doors) permitted on the face. I'm not an engineer or architect, but I understand that it is to prevent the spread of fire.

There are two options for increasing the percentage of windows on a building face without pulling the building back from the lot line. One is to install fairly expensive shutter or sprinkler systems or other fire safety measures. The other, more common approach is to enter into a limiting distance agreement with your neighbour (with the City as a third party to ensure that it is done correctly and is registered on title). Your neighbour agrees to a no-build zone on its property, and in exchange you get to calculate your percentage of unprotected openings as if the lot line were pushed back onto your neighbour's lot. Where there is an existing building on the neighbour's lot, the no-build zone is sometimes a strata parcel commencing at some determined point above grade and the existing building (thus allowing for increased fenestration on the upper floors of the building opposite).

And yes, neighbouring landowners almost always expect to be compensated for entering into limiting distance agreement (as they are effectively giving up development rights), some holding developers up for ransom. Of course, it's much simpler if the developer also happens to own the lot next door.

I don't know what was done for One-Six-Nine. However, if there is no limiting distance agreement, the owner of the Umbra building will have its own limiting distance issues if it ever tries to build a taller building opposite One-Six-Nine.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this, Archivist. In the "We hate Toronto" thread in Toronto Issues, I lamented how Toronto was just a little too small up until the late 1910s to build serious low and midrise apartment blocks to any large degree.

Hipster:

I read an article (or perhaps it was in "Toronto Sprawls"?), about how building apartment blocks was considered somewhat immoral in Edwardian/inter-war Toronto. The basic concept was that it encouraged people to move out and live with loose morals. This, or so the author posits, had a somewhat stifling effect on constructing midrise apartment buildings. Seems laughable at first, but then one considers the plethora of blue laws we had, and then it seems a likely idea.

^
I read that in something by ERA Architects, where they were remarking on the pre-war distaste for multi-unit residences contrasted with the post-war embrace of them.

Does anybody know what Bedford Glen is? Is it just normal residential? For some reason I have always thought it felt like a retirement home.

Condominiums. Annau won a Canadian Architect magazine award of excellence for them in 1976. A good example of lowrises from David Crombie's 45 foot era. Lots of red brick to ape the look of houses, and no offending height.

This thread cannot go on without mention of The Indigo (Wallace, Clews, Bergman) (1993). A pioneering 'Toronto-style' condo if there ever was one. There are so many hints at later aA buildings here...

3334814328_6abe87f5db_b.jpg

3333982715_1ee32ffcc6_b.jpg

3334819612_a135be9a78_b.jpg

Any more information on this one would be welcome!

Agreed on the "not lowrise" front; however, if you notice, this thread is "From the 1970's" as in "onward"...

Back