News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 651     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

Love your city, and love it on-line (UT in the Globe)

Re: Love your city, and love it on-line

that message-board "lol r u sirius" affliction

I know what you mean. How can have a serious discussion with that type of nonsense and the typical 30 character or less postings you get on those forums. It reminds me of this one time a company I was working for had some financial difficulties and their conference calling service wasn't paid up so we had a departmental meeting on ICQ. What a joke to have a serious discussion with little "uh oh" noises and other distractions going off all the time. I was thinking in my head asking myself if I was a professional or a teenage girl chatting with friends. This forum is a lot more condusive to real thought provoking discussions rather than the "u r crap", "lol at joethestud", "wait till the mods find out", "nice", etc., etc.

It helps that most people on this forum have at least graudated high school. Most other forums tend to attract the Sim City crowd where as here you do have young people, but since the majority seem to be at least older than 20 most of the time discussions are conducted in a mature manner. And it also helps this is the only forum on this board. Especially on international boards you get not only local trolls, but international ones as well. Sometimes this board may be a little slow because we dont have several thousand members, yet I still prefer the occasional lull to mindless dribble.

For one, I am just glad the "my city vs. your city" threads are kept to an absolute minimum on here, considering they have a tendency to be absolute troll-magnets.

AoD

Well, then there's the reverse version of "my city vs your city"; y'know, musings on Toronto falling short relative to Detroit or Johannesburg or Shamokin or WaKeeney or wherever else...

Lucky I signed up before this place got famous.

Yeah, I read the "tree" version of this article last night, and laughed out loud when I saw the reference to Mike.

Then, I got on the subway and saw the new ads entitled "Own the TTC for a week" with a streetcar parked in someone's driveway and thought of Mike again.

Back