Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

I can’t tell what side of the structure the graffiti is on but I wouldn’t be surprised if vines cover the whole thing in a year so problem solved! Lol

Yesterday evening. Water has definitely cleared up.
Love Park Monday.jpg

Last edited:
I popped by here yesterday.

I have many good things to say and show; and a couple of concerns.

Photos taken September 8th, 2023:

We'll start w/the good:

The Catalpa and Island, just picture perfect:

DSC02516.jpg

Different angle:

DSC02523.jpg

Also good, The Willows are very happy and growing like gangbusters; it varies tree to tree, but growth is in the range 4-5ft since planting.

DSC02518.jpg

DSC02519.jpg

The Ivy intended to at least partially mask the mechanical building is doing quite well:

DSC02520.jpg

The Wisteria is also continuing to put on height, having added another 12 inches since we last saw it on UT:

DSC02525.jpg

Neither here/nor there. The City has added explanatory signage about the pond filtration/water quality:

DSC02521.jpg

The water quality wasn't poor when I was there (to the eye), but there is still more algae development than I would have expected.....

The system was working (well at least water was being exchanged through the filters)

I didn't get the best shot, but you can see a bit of bubbling in this photo, which is where the exchange is happening, that going on at equidistant points around the pond.

DSC02522.jpg

Now for the not as good news:

First in text, most of the trees are doing reasonably well, but a few are only fair, over 90% should make to next spring, but the Tulip tree on the Queen's Quay side is a goner.

Some losses were to be expected, that said, the trees haven't gone through winter here yet.

Now for my photo evidenced concerns:

The grass next to the Harbour/York entrance is in rough shape. The cause is clear, its dog urine:

DSC02515.jpg

That does not look great; the grass will not work here. There are two options, one is to hardscape the edge (first meter here). Could do that, not sure it will help as I suspect the dogs/owners would just find another soft bit of landscape.

I'm inclined to think that replacing the edge of the sod here w/a dog urine resistant plant species would be the preferred choice.

My second concern is the York Street side planting bed:

DSC02513.jpg

DSC02514.jpg

I have a few observations on the above.

1) Too many blank spots, a few things have died. I suspect dog urine may also be a factor here as this is opposite the struggling grass, it's fenced off, I don't think trampling is an issue. May need to try a few alternatives.

2) A few weeds, it's not terrible, some weeds are to be expected in a natural bed, but I do want to see evidence of maintenance on the bed before winter. Ideally offending plants should not be allowed to go to seed.

3) Lack of fall interest. Virtually nothing is in bloom, even though fall can be beautiful in nature here. Goldenrod, New England Asters, the last of the native sunflowers and Black Eyed Susans. On that note, as I glanced around, I think the winter-interest in the plant selection is a bit poor as well; we'll have to see how everything looks bare, but I think it may look a bit spare.

* It's not as dry as it looks, to CCxA's credit there is an irrigation system, and I checked, the soil was actually damp. It's just the mulch they used has a very bleached out look when dry.

Last edited:
@Northern Light you really should be a consultant to Toronto Parks & Rec, but even if you're inclined to do so, I'm sure there's no budget for it. Keeping parks beautiful and presentable is low on the city's priority list ...

Thank you for the thought, you never know who might be reading my free, unsolicited advice......

I take no credit, but have a look at one small change adjacent to a park, which I posted on over here:

I popped by here yesterday.

I have many good things to say and show; and a couple of concerns.

Photos taken September 8th, 2023:

We'll start w/the good:

The Catalpa and Island, just picture perfect:

View attachment 505215

Different angle:

View attachment 505219

Also good, The Willows are very happy and growing like gangbusters; it varies tree to tree, but growth is in the range 4-5ft since planting.

View attachment 505223

View attachment 505224

The Ivy intended to at least partially mask the mechanical building is doing quite well:

View attachment 505225

The Wisteria is also continuing to put on height, having added another 12 inches since we last saw it on UT:

View attachment 505226

Neither here/nor there. The City has added explanatory signage about the pond filtration/water quality:

View attachment 505227

The water quality wasn't poor when I was there (to the eye), but there is still more algae development than I would have expected.....

The system was working (well at least water was being exchanged through the filters)

I didn't get the best shot, but you can see a bit of bubbling in this photo, which is where the exchange is happening, that going on at equidistant points around the pond.

View attachment 505228

Now for the not as good news:

First in text, most of the trees are doing reasonably well, but a few are only fair, over 90% should make to next spring, but the Tulip tree on the Queen's Quay side is a goner.

Some losses were to be expected, that said, the trees haven't gone through winter here yet.

Now for my photo evidenced concerns:

The grass next to the Harbour/York entrance is in rough shape. The cause is clear, its dog urine:

View attachment 505229

That does not look great; the grass will not work here. There are two options, one is to hardscape the edge (first meter here). Could do that, not sure it will help as I suspect the dogs/owners would just find another soft bit of landscape.

I'm inclined to think that replacing the edge of the sod here w/a dog urine resistant plant species would be the preferred choice.

My second concern is the York Street side planting bed:

View attachment 505230

View attachment 505231

I have a few observations on the above.

1) Too many blank spots, a few things have died. I suspect dog urine may also be a factor here as this is opposite the struggling grass, it's fenced off, I don't think trampling is an issue. May need to try a few alternatives.

2) A few weeds, it's not terrible, some weeds are to be expected in a natural bed, but I do want to see evidence of maintenance on the bed before winter. Ideally offending plants should not be allowed to go to seed.

3) Lack of fall interest. Virtually nothing is in bloom, even though fall can be beautiful in nature here. Goldenrod, New England Asters, the last of the native sunflowers and Black Eyed Susans. On that note, as I glanced around, I think the winter-interest in the plant selection is a bit poor as well; we'll have to see how everything looks bare, but I think it may look a bit spare.

* It's not as dry as it looks, to CCxA's credit there is an irrigation system, and I checked, the soil was actually damp. Its just the mulch they used has a very bleached out look when dry.
variegated dogwood? Cannot quite make out In the photo on my phone. Just thinking of size and spacing considerations as the garden grows in.

Claude Cormier passed away today.

I will draw people's attention to the memorium thread that has been setup.

There you will find the CCxA statement on Claude's passing and a couple of pics from their website.

I will be adding and would encourage others to add some photos of his great contributions to the City to that thread, including pics from this thread.

Front page story here:

Front page story here:

Terrible news. Maybe we need to start a kickstarter and get that VEed heart hanging over Love Park.

AoD

Back