Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

What always baffled me is why the city would allocate so much of this park to a water feature when there is a giant water feature called Lake Ontario right there not even 100 meters away.
If it were a great water feature with skating in winter and a fountain in summer , I can see the value. I feel like it’s a photogenic “instagram” park but not as useful as it should have been

I think you may be alone in thinking Lake Ontario was man made and if you think it is as deep (or shallow) as Love Park Pond you had best not go paddling in it. :->
I think they were comparing to beaver lake in Montreal, not Lake Ontario.

As far as the comparison is concerned, Beaver lake is much larger. The average depth of the lake is approximately15m and is said to cover approximately 1.5 hectares (15000m). That seems like a huge undertaking to drain every year. I also don't think the bottom is concrete, like love park.

As far as the comparison is concerned, Beaver lake is much larger.

I overlaid Love Park heart onto Lac-aux-Castors using the same scale on Google maps:
1700074467377.png

If I squint really hard, I can honestly say "close enough!"

Goodness, this is turning into an apples versus oranges debate...

...more importantly, I think one needs to focus on why this body of water needs to be drained, after originally being promised a skating rink for the winter months. And the answer will be forth coming from what was proposed to where we're at now. There is no need to bring up other human made bodies of water, from back yard swimming pools to the Welland Canal, for comparisons. >.<

Reactions: DSC
Goodness, this is turning into an apples versus oranges debate...

...more importantly, I think one needs to focus on why this body of water needs to be drained, after originally being promised a skating rink for the winter months. And the answer will be forth coming from what was proposed to where we're at now. There is no need to bring up other human made bodies of water, from back yard swimming pools to the Welland Canal, for comparisons. >.<
it's a budget thing, correct? is there a plan to enable skating in the future?

it's a budget thing, correct? is there a plan to enable skating in the future?
Might be a weather thing. Can't have a sheet of ice if the winter temperature never stays in the negatives long enough. I'm just judging by the fact that the snow cover never stays for longer than a couple of days along the lake any more. People used to regularly go cross-country skiing at the Toronto islands back in the day. Not in the last several years though...

Might be a weather thing. Can't have a sheet of ice if the winter temperature never stays in the negatives long enough. I'm just judging by the fact that the snow cover never stays for longer than a couple of days along the lake any more. People used to regularly go cross-country skiing at the Toronto islands back in the day. Not in the last several years though...
not a weather thing. majority of city rinks are refrigerated and can operate in mild winter temps

Back