News   Jul 30, 2024
 350     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 536     0 

Lost Toronto

I was actually just thinking about this this morning (I came across those pics last night while browsing the online archives - which I love to geek out on before bed sometimes.) As nice as that street scape was, I'm not that sad to see it replaced by City Park. Aside from its surface parking, it's really quite a handsome complex (more so than Village Green across the way.)

I believe they developers were originally permitted to erect 5 buildings instead of three, but thankfully, they chose to eliminate 2 buildings for the surface parking and lawns. Somehow, I don't think City Park would have been so appealing with that many buildings so close that you could spit onto the opposite balcony.

I believe they developers were originally permitted to erect 5 buildings instead of three, but thankfully, they chose to eliminate 2 buildings for the surface parking and lawns. Somehow, I don't think City Park would have been so appealing with that many buildings so close that you could spit onto the opposite balcony.

City Park has terrific spaces in between the buildings, excellent planning decision made there. They also have beautiful English style gardens throughout the summer around the buildings and along Alexander & Wood Streets. With the many large, mature trees on Alexander it makes for a terrific place to walk and hang out on summer evenings.

Original intersection of Carlton and Yonge (looking east from Yonge) before alignment with College Street. (I thiiiiink that Church in the background burned down)
f1231_it0494.jpg

Looking the other way, towards Eaton's:
f1244_it7013.jpg

Looking north towards the intersections of Yonge and Carlton (lower right) as well as Yonge and College (upper left).
s0071_it7442.jpg

College & Carlton's marriage (looking west towards College Park, same alignment as one of the above photos, but farther back obviously)
s0071_it8656.jpg

College & Carlton's marriage (Standing on Carlton, looking east towards Church, and MLG construction site)
s0071_it8649.jpg

After the College / Carlton street re-alignment (that's the Hydro building's foundation being constructed) looking out over Wood Street, and the future site of City Park.
f1244_it1974.jpg

f1244_it3185.jpg

f1244_it3185.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This is fascinating stuff TKTKTK. Amazing how the dome of Our Lady of Lourdes dominates the skyline beyond Jarvis Collegiate and that older apartment building just west of Coral Gables.

Well, I can't really claim much credit beyond putting them together into some kind of context (which the online archives could really, really benefit from - pet project anyone?) I'm really glad you guys appreciate the effort, it's a lot fun working out what some of this stuff is of.

Awesome resource.

Sad to see the building on the right get replaced by the heinous HBC centre at Yonge and Bloor:

s0381_fl0018_id6280-3.jpg

Looking south from roughly Bloor and Yonge

s0381_fl0059_id7060-1.jpg

Alternative skin for a lion:

s0372_ss0010_it0063.jpg

The streetcar tracks suggest that it might be Bloor. There was a cinema on the south side of Bloor midway between Yonge & Church and that might be it at the left of the photo.

Back