News   Jul 30, 2024
 768     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 628     0 

Lost Toronto

I don't buy the whole "it's a cycle" thing. Architecture, in terms of design, relationship to the environment, and quality of materials used, took a serious nosedive in the middle of the 20th century. It ain't comin' back.

Agreed. You don't see masonry workers today spending eons working on new construction.

But the paradox, as I've indicated, is that it might still be the modernism, rather than the retro/traditionalism, that'll inspire rallies in the future.

Maybe that turns the preservation movement into something of a modernist relic in its own right--at least, re the values involved...

Some good news - I understand that a book about Toronto's brutalist buildings is going through the editing process, though I don't have a publication date yet.

The General Post Office (36 Adelaide East) c.1873

30lr9.jpg

In case anybody is interested, the original architects rendering for the magnificent General Post Office is in the special collections department of the Toronto Reference Library - at least it was when I saw it about twenty years ago. If memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always do so) in the rendering, the stone was a lovely pale yellow/beige and the roof rather suprisingly was a pale mauve though I have no idea if it was so when completed.

Such a sad loss.

Mauve being slate?

Ah, well, there's the question. I think it looked slatish (or at least like wooden shingles but it's difficult to imagine such a prominent civic structure using wooden shingles) but I don't know if slate even comes in pale mauve. I do recall raising an eyebrow ever so slightly in surprise when I saw it. It might well be a case of artistic license, a grand tradition which renderers still stubbornly cling to.

I found these old pics of the new City Hall while under construction in 1963:

I can see the old armouries building before it was demolished for the courthouse (?).

1187505412_ea58578c03_b.jpg

A shame that there was no way to incorporate the Registry Office into the modern square.

1186646785_2101551e03_b.jpg

1187503690_4353e9ae59_b.jpg

1187502030_f7fa2c008c_b.jpg

Imagine how geeked up skyscraper fans must have been in 1963 when they saw this going up! lol =P

1187508736_3097b36b34_b.jpg

Briefly, during construction of New City Hall, we had our very own faux Parthenon kinda thing sitting atop a little hill amidst the rubble.

A shame that there was no way to incorporate the Registry Office into the modern square.

It is. It's kind of a neat looking building. Seems so out of place when you see photos of the construction. But at least Old City Hall's still with us. I've seen plans that eliminated it, or, interestingly, left behind only the clock tower, standing alone like a spire.

At the time, this was considered as "progress" and "modern". I think the appreciation of heritage structures came later. We are lucky that the Old City Hall didn't get torn down to make way for the Eaton Centre.

Back