News   Jul 30, 2024
 678     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 467     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 579     1 

Lost Toronto Hotels

Ah the marvels of viewing things on the Web: scrolling down and BLAM the sign hits you...

scholeshotel.jpg

that sign is pretty spectacular...you don't see that kind of classic late 20's art deco signage very often in Toronto. it has some similarities with this font from 1930 designed by Paul Klein...

is the Scholes the site of the Colonial Tavern?

paul_klein_1930.jpg

Why would they remove the turret from Heydon House? It makes no sense. It's as if the building was too ornate and they tried to dumb it down and make it look like a dive.

"Structurally unsound", maybe?

Besides, don't react as if it were done yesterday--as I said, there was once a moment when this kind of architecture wasn't prized, indeed, was deemed outright ugly.

Though one element among Heydon House's disfigurements intrigues me: that tall stainless-steel arched window...

Re: Disfigurement. I often feel that people discuss buildings as art objects, rather than as economic and practical objects, which they primarily are. Buildings that have no use will ultimately disappear. No use = no building. Similarly, portions of a building that serve no economic purpose may disappear during a building's lifetime. Aesthetically, this is often unfortunate.

When the Heydon House was built, the cupola and small tower would have signified class and wealth, even trendiness, which would have served an economic purpose in terms of attracting a certain level of clientele to the hotel. At a certain point, the fortunes of the neighbourhood changed, the ability to attract clientele changed, and the function of the cupole was a moot point. As well, the building itself would have been viewed as a liability overall, unfashionable and surviving only because it was not in a high demand area.

If the tower and cupola had been built strongly enough, it might have survived because it would have been cheaper to leave it there than to remove it. But it obviously started to fall apart at some point, and a choice came to the owner - lose it or spend money to fix it up. At that point, given it's location and the current uses of the building, there was no economic justification for keeping it.

I'm not defending the decision, which is unfortunate. But to my mind, it's not at all hard to imagine or understand.

I despise the fashionable/unfashionable cycle, and how it can give people who don't recognize good design a licence to wreck structures of value.

Considering how badly we're treating buildings that are quite recent, we have no grounds for being complacent, or feeling superior to those who demolished or renovated some of the structures pictured in this thread. Perhaps design review needs to go hand in hand with renovation review.

PRINCE GEORGE HOTEL, southeast corner of King and York streets
princegeorge.jpg

The one that fascinates me the most is the Prince George Hotel. It was opened in 1856 as the Rossin House Hotel, and was for years one of Toronto's main hotels, as these photos show.

Shortly after the hotel opened, Toronto was competing with other cities to become the capital of the Province of Canada. Photos of the growing city were taken by the firm of Armstrong, Beere & Hime, many from the roof of the Rossin House Hotel, and sent to London. As we all know, Ottawa won that competition in 1857, and Toronto's photo submission was long forgotten, until a few years ago when a Canadian archivist stumbled across the photos while doing research in old Colonial Office files. Many of those 1856 Toronto photographs are here. This one, looking north up York Street, is my favourite:

OsgoodeHall_from_Rossin.jpg

The Rossin House, eventually renamed the Prince George, fell into neglect. Just prior to demolition in 1969 (to make way for the TD Centre), it was looking pretty rough:
PrinceGeorge1969.jpg

Though one element among Heydon House's disfigurements intrigues me: that tall stainless-steel arched window

probably adds "rentable" square footage

great presentation! I wish we still had some of the cobblestone streets that are shown in some of those photos...

They're still there, just paved over.

Agreed, Toronto should reclaim some of those cobblestone streets, especially in the old town.

I had heard of Rossin House but had no idea it was around as late as 1969. In the latter picture you can see, again, how the decorative moulding was removed at some point in the name of "maintenance."

That shot from the roof makes it clear how far Toronto's come in a relatively short time (150 years is a blink of an eye in historical terms). I'm guessing Osgoode Hall must have been the grandest, if not largest, structure in the city for many years.

They're still there, just paved over.

Agreed, Toronto should reclaim some of those cobblestone streets, especially in the old town.

Not always. One of my colleagues has a cobblestone back patio at her house in Markham. Apparently, the City used to occasionally dig up the cobblestones and make them available to anyone who wanted to haul any of them away. The previous owners' of my colleague's house apparently carted enough from downtown to Markham in the 1960s to build their patio.

I'd like to think, however, that most of the old cobblestone streets are still there, buried underneath.

That's actually looking up York Street, towards Queen Street West. That is Osgoode Hall, before the dome was removed.

Or rather, before the midsection was totally rebuilt by Henry Cumberland.

Oh, and as for Heydon House, I remember not long ago in one of the UT threads where some were knocking the design of the old departed Toronto Board of Trade.

511px-Board_of_Trade_Building_Front_Street.jpg

So, if *this* is still an eyesore according to some UTers, then what on earth is Heydon House?

Get the hint?

Back