News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 605     0 

Long Escalators in Toronto

S

Sean Lerner

Hello,

I'm making a short documentary about the long escalator at York Mills Subway Station (south end of platform). It is 148 steps.

Are there any longer escalators in Toronto? I've heard conflicting information that the York Mills Escalator is the longest, and that the Paramount Theatre escalator is the longest. I've also heard the escalator at the theatre at Empress Walk (5095 Yonge) is very long. How can I find out how many steps these escalators are? (I've sent a few emails off to the cinemas and tssa (safety board))

Does anyone know what the longest escalator in Toronto is? (and how many steps?).

Also, I'd like to know more about the York Mills escalator - length, height, speed - how can I find out this information?

Thanks for your help,

Sean

It's been a while but the escalators at the science centre went on forever.

I believe the Empress Walk one was, at the time it was built, the longest "suspended" escalator in Canada. Not sure if it still is.

I don't know how long the Paramount ones are, but when they went in, they were definitely advertised as being the longest in the city (overtaking the York Mills escalators presumably).

Meanwhile, Lawrence Station is deeper than York Mills. If I remember correctly (and it's been a VERY long time since I have been there) the Ranleigh exit at the north end has the longer escalators there.

^ I'm pretty sure York Mills has the longer escalator, it takes 29 seconds to ride, 30 if you let it push you off - at least it feels longer, and I used to use both of them every day.

Bayview station is far deeper but it does not have one continuous escalator.

The Science Centre would probably win this contest.

are we counting defunct escalators? if so, the spadina walkway would win hands down

(and having done service on it, i'll testify that it was an escalator, albeit one with a zero incline)

The Science Centre has three escalators, non-continuous.

Even though discontinuous, one of the escalators at the Science Centre still might be longer.

The south York Mills escalator actually brings you a full storey above street level, probably because it needs to go over some ventilation equipment.

the one that used to be in Spadina station were long and cool.

The flat escalator of Spadina Station has joined the ranks of Toronto's lost engineering triumphs, much like the Knapp Roller Boat...

Montreal also has some impressive escalators. Lucien l'Allier Metro comes to mind.

Interesting nobody has mentioned the network of moving sidewalks at Pearson Airport, especially in the new T-1.

Lucien l'Allier Metro

Boo! I hate Lucien l'Allier, after staying in a hotel near that station. There's at least three sets of long escaltors to get up to the surface. Georges-Vanier is deep too, and as I remember, at least easier to get out of.

Back