News   Sep 26, 2024
 427     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 637     0 

London Tate Modern Expansion

"No, but I don't think we should be making ourselves into Paris, or London or New York by copying say their planning policies, for example. The core of those cities are fundamentally different from Toronto contextually speaking."

...but isn't Paris fundamentally different from London? Montreal from San Francisco? New York from New Orleans? Don't get stuck on the Paris/NYC/London examples. I only use them because they're the cities I know best. My basic points here are:

1. These cities know how to build tourist attractions, or in other words effectively exploit (I prefer the French term, 'mettre en valeur') the historic, cultural, commercial or merely curious sites of their cities to visitors and residents, because they have a clear knowledge of and confidence in who and what they are, even if only in perception rather than in reality, strictly speaking.
2. The people have a fundamental respect for and belief in their city that informs both the private and public sectors, such that second rate is not accepted as good enough. This shows in the quality of all sorts of urban issues we talk about on this forum.
3. Although I agree that the specific and unique contexts of these cities differs, the fundamental nature of the relationship between the city and its people, and the city and its hinterland, are similar in these ways.

"Besides, Toronto has our own tradition to maintain - in fact, this sort of "small-mindedness" (others would prefer to call it humility) is very Prebyterian, reflective of our history. Isn't that something you advocated on many occasions?"

Absolutely I do, but I think we need an accurate and comprehensive understanding of our history, which is not easy when you consider how thoroughly neglected and undervalued it is, from the highest levels of our government to our very school system. On this point, however, I would submit that our colonial and victorian ancestors did not have 'humility' in quite the same way you imply. They were in fact a very tenacious, proud, some may say arrogant, and self-aware people. To put them in context, it is important to understand that those who settled and populated this city, and the province in general, were in fact fugitives and refugees fleeing for their life and from everything they knew because of what they believed in, to start their lives over again in a fairly remote and undeveloped place. Barely on their feet again, they then faced invasion and war to defend this choice. When they rebuilt once again from this devastation the buildings, monuments and institutions they would create, that would endure up to the post-war period and even today in some cases, hardly speak of humility or a tentative sense of self.

That link Scarberian posted is a great site and should tell you what you want to know. Picked up the torch after TPftLA stopped being updated.

Let's not get too carried away with starry-eyed notions of London's superiority, and the supposedly positive relationship at all levels between their "people" and their "city". After all, it was only ten years ago that shrill opposition from architectural conservatives created enough controversy to essentially sink Libeskind's V&A Spiral design. For a two thousand year old city, London can be as parsimonious and parochial as Hogtown at times, and their recent warming to contemporary architecture is only a few years ahead of our own.

This "grass is greener" obsession is at the root of the silly "world class" copycat mentality that continues to thwart and stunt us.

I think that's an excellent point, Babel, and not only in the context of London. We talk dreamily around here of San Francisco, for example, and how wonderful it is--but forget the fact that it's probably the most architecturally conservative major city on the continent. (Evidenced by the rapid opposition to the DeYoung reno).

"We talk dreamily around here of San Francisco, for example, and how wonderful it is--but forget the fact that it's probably the most architecturally conservative major city on the continent. (Evidenced by the rapid opposition to the DeYoung reno)."

...but maybe cutting-edge, modern architecture is not part of San Fran's sense of self?

"Let's not get too carried away with starry-eyed notions of London's superiority, and the supposedly positive relationship at all levels between their "people" and their "city".

I don't think I ever said London was 'superior' (please point out if I did), nor did I circumscribe my musings to London.

"After all, it was only ten years ago that shrill opposition from architectural conservatives created enough controversy to essentially sink Libeskind's V&A Spiral design."

Proving my point, Babel. This kind of passionate or 'shrill' opposition hardly demonstrates indifference or apathy.

"For a two thousand year old city, London can be as parsimonious and parochial as Hogtown at times, and their recent warming to contemporary architecture is only a few years ahead of our own."

If London's view of itself has changed, all well and good but how is this relevent to the argument? How does this negate a passionate relationship between the city and its people?Modern and contemporary is not semantically opposite to 'parsimonious' or 'parochial': A city that values heritage preservation is not necessarily stingy or small-minded. Is this how you view London? Clearly it leads to inaccuracies when one is limited in one's thinking by judging according to one's own values and preferences.

turdararms:

Absolutely I do, but I think we need an accurate and comprehensive understanding of our history, which is not easy when you consider how thoroughly neglected and undervalued it is, from the highest levels of our government to our very school system. On this point, however, I would submit that our colonial and victorian ancestors did not have 'humility' in quite the same way you imply. They were in fact a very tenacious, proud, some may say arrogant, and self-aware people. To put them in context, it is important to understand that those who settled and populated this city, and the province in general, were in fact fugitives and refugees fleeing for their life and from everything they knew because of what they believed in, to start their lives over again in a fairly remote and undeveloped place. Barely on their feet again, they then faced invasion and war to defend this choice. When they rebuilt once again from this devastation the buildings, monuments and institutions they would create, that would endure up to the post-war period and even today in some cases, hardly speak of humility or a tentative sense of self.

You seem to have a very selective view of history. The Toronto that exist right now, and the "cheapness" or "ugliness" you despise has always been with us. Looking at a few select historical buildings doesn't inform us that the majority of buildings from every period is forgettable, cheap and likely ugly. That's the utilitarian nature of city building. Each generation has their symbols of arrogance and grandeur, and ditto crap. It isn't restricted to any specific point in history.

Stop looking at history through rose-coloured glasses and mythologizing the achievements of the past - that above all else is something that can hold a city back.

...but maybe cutting-edge, modern architecture is not part of San Fran's sense of self?

Just as maybe top quality architecture and urban design en masse, or a coherent urban form predicated upon a historical theme isn't part of Toronto's sense of self, for the majority of the populace?

Proving my point, Babel. This kind of passionate or 'shrill' opposition hardly demonstrates indifference or apathy.

Every city has these sort of moments - our's with the new City Hall, Graduate House, OCAD, ROM, etc. for example. It tells us nothing new, but the fact that we have many instances of passion towards the city that you seem to have convinently avoided to mention.

AoD

Maybe the addition should be dedicated to whatever Pop collection exists there
popban.gif

AoD:

"Besides, Toronto has our own tradition to maintain - in fact, this sort of "small-mindedness" (others would prefer to call it humility) is very Prebyterian, reflective of our history"

"You seem to have a very selective view of history.'

...and hacking the city's tradition/history down to 'presbyterian' is not 'selective'? You should be careful to judge your own generalizations before casting aspersions on those of somebody else.

"The Toronto that exist right now, and the "cheapness" or "ugliness" you despise has always been with us. Looking at a few select historical buildings doesn't inform us that the majority of buildings from every period is forgettable, cheap and likely ugly. That's the utilitarian nature of city building. Each generation has their symbols of arrogance and grandeur, and ditto crap. It isn't restricted to any specific point in history."

Okay, no argument here necessarily, though I'm not sure how any of this relates to my original musings?

"Stop looking at history through rose-coloured glasses and mythologizing the achievements of the past - that above all else is something that can hold a city back."

Your contempt for the city's history and ancestors is duly noted, yet you were the one who introduced an attempt at historical perspective into this debate: "Besides, Toronto has our own tradition to maintain - in fact, this sort of "small-mindedness" (others would prefer to call it humility) is very Prebyterian, reflective of our history" It seems the glasses you look through are just as tinted as you claim mine are: If you're going to advocate 'maintaining' historical traditions it is important to look a little deeper than the 'selective' and reductive stereotypes you seek to perpetuate. Do you not think it important to celebrate that which is positive from our past, and that which has contributed so much to who and what we are today? Where is the supposed danger in mythology? What cultures exists without mythologizing? (See the work of Claude Levi-Strausse on this issue for further information.) Do you not think Multiculturalism is part of our mythology?

tudararms:

...and hacking the city's tradition/history down to 'presbyterian' is not 'selective'? You should be careful to judge your own generalizations before casting aspersions on those of somebody else

It is merely used to contradict your unitary historical greatness thesis here and elsewhere, in pointing out humility and being practical is ALSO a Toronto tradition.

Your contempt for the city's history and ancestors is duly noted, yet you were the one who introduced an attempt at historical perspective into this debate: "Besides, Toronto has our own tradition to maintain - in fact, this sort of "small-mindedness" (others would prefer to call it humility) is very Prebyterian, reflective of our history" It seems the glasses you look through are just as tinted as you claim mine are: If you're going to advocate 'maintaining' historical traditions it is important to look a little deeper than the 'selective' and reductive stereotypes you seek to perpetuate. Do you not think it important to celebrate that which is positive from our past, and that which has contributed so much to who and what we are today? Where is the supposed danger in mythology? What cultures exists without mythologizing? (See the work of Claude Levi-Strausse on this issue for further information.) Do you not think Multiculturalism is part of our mythology?

I wasn't the one who insisted that we have a unitary urban identity in order to somehow translate to greatness. You are however the one who seems hell bent on having it, as expressed on this thread and others. I merely pointed out that historical examples contradicted your rosy view of the past and this supposed identity.

And just how would you think that I have "contempt" for the city's ancestors and history? Just because I don't agree with you? Are we getting a little self-important now? Acknowledging the reality of the past but not over-glorifying and wax nostaglic about the it equate to contempt? What would we do in order to "celebrate" our past? March in Orange Parades? Is having an increasing attendance in events like Doors Open; awareness and willingness to preserve historical places not symbolic enough that we are at the very least increasingly curious about it? Lest I mention, the previous generation (and the others before) were the first to wipe out those very historical things in the name of modernity and progress.

I am not against mythologizing, I am against your attempted monopoly as to what we should mythologize so you can feel better about our city. I think a lot of us likes it just fine, thank you very much.

AoD

..oops sorry, forgot to respond to the last part...

"Every city has these sort of moments - our's with the new City Hall, Graduate House, OCAD, ROM, etc. for example. It tells us nothing new, but the fact that we have many instances of passion towards the city that you seem to have convinently avoided to mention."

Are you ascribing some sort of pernicious plot to me? I assure you that I haven't willfully or 'conveniently' omitted any of those things. If they prove me wrong, fine. These are casual contributions to a forum, not dissertations for academic submission. Do you feel it is subversive or harmful to share and consider differing points of view?

For the record, I never claimed there are no examples of passion or excellence in Toronto. I don't feel this is the conclusive 'flaw' in my logic you seek so obsessively, but please feel free to continue to try and deconstruct the minutia of my musings if you feel that this somehow destroys the validity of my original idea.

tudararms:

I am using those examples to suggest that the city isn't as without pride, self-awareness or greatness as you seem to suggest, particularly in references to examples in other cities.

I've also neglected to mention - not having a strong urban identity can also in many cases be beneficial, in that not having a preconcieved notion of what being Toronto is means the city is free to experiment. In many cities, particularly those with long historical traditions, urban form and identity informs so many aspects of living that change becomes difficult, if not impossible.

AoD

"It is merely used to contradict your unitary historical greatness thesis here and elsewhere, in pointing out humility and being practical is ALSO a Toronto tradition."

" You are however the one who seems hell bent on having it, as expressed on this thread and others. I merely pointed out that historical examples contradicted your rosy view of the past and this supposed identity."

This is "sleight of hand" debating of the very worst kind: **you** introduced a failed attempt at historic perspective into this debate, it is **your** "unitary" and "selective" reduction of Toronto's history to 'presbyterian' that elicited a contradiction from me. I am the one offering some balance. Please do not twist the facts to suit your crumbling argument.

"I wasn't the one who insisted that we have a unitary urban identity in order to somehow translate to greatness."

Please point out where I argued for this? Be specific: you are charging I have 'insisted' on a 'unitary' urban identity. Please point this out.

"Stop looking at history through rose-coloured glasses and mythologizing the achievements of the past - that above all else is something that can hold a city back"

"I am not against mythologizing, I am against your attempted monopoly as to what we should mythologize so you can feel better about our city. I think a lot of us likes it just fine, thank you very much."

So, on the one hand 'mythologizing'...'above all else is something that can hold a city back", yet you are not "against" it?? This is an interesting about-face. What exactly are you for??

"What would we do in order to "celebrate" our past? March in Orange Parades?"

I think you need to question your own prejudices and antipathies.

You introduced the question of 'history' into this debate, though you still have yet to explain how history is relevant to my original theorizing? Also, I'm not sure what your stance is on mythologizing in culture as described by Levi-Strauss? You seem to think we should 'celebrate' or mythologize only that which is negative because anything otherwise is 'waxing nostalgic' or 'looking through rose-coloured glasses'. Though this is clearly a gross detour from my original topic in this thread, you seem obsessed with destroying the past and I'm curious what is your bitter opposition to the past? Why are you so against our city having a demonstrable celebration of and appreciation for all parts of our past? What is the threat of this to you??

If we may revisit the "shrill opposition from architectural conservatives" idea, we must remember: the popular trickling-down of the Prince Charles anti-carbuncle mania *did* put a bit of a stultifying big chill on the profession through a lot of the 80s and 90s.

Imagine, if you will, the John Geiger/National Post "nobody likes modernism" mentality writ large; then you get a gist of said "big chill"...

Please point out where I argued for this? Be specific: you are charging I have 'insisted' on a 'unitary' urban identity. Please point this out.

From the Hakin thread:

Of course we can, but it will take more than hollow architecture review panels and the lip service of 'city beautiful' initiatives, valiant attempts though they may be. What is needed is a fundamental change in attitude.

As mentioned in the "Tate Modern" thread regarding London, missing in Toronto is a basic and pervasive love for, belief in, and pride of the city. One that runs from top to bottom, public and private, such that an ugly, inferior building would be considered an affront to the public realm. The PR would be so negative that the offending building would stand far less chance of actually getting built. Would Hakim get away with this in Paris?

I don't know how you develop this sort of passion for the city, one that is embraced by all. One could argue it takes centuries, yet you sense it in places like New York, San Francisco, and Montreal too. I'm not saying these places are perfect and don't have their troubles, only that they don't seem to constantly walk the tightrope of mediocrity and squandered opportunity that we do here where the public and private sectors get away with mediocrity because we accept it.

If that isn't an advocacy of some strict form of unitary control over/expression of the urban realm, I don't know what is. Note in other threads you are also insistent that we somehow "grow" out of our current polymorphic urban identity and somehow acquire one predicated upon "historical achievements".

So, on the one hand 'mythologizing'...'above all else is something that can hold a city back", yet you are not "against" it?? This is an interesting about-face. What exactly are you for??

When mythologizing is applied more or less universally, a city would be far busier trying to maintain that mythology than changing. Notice I've said I am against any single person (and group) coming up with their own myth and consider it to be the defacto goal for the city as a whole. Certainly, your version of it.

I think you need to question your own prejudices and antipathies.

I think the above statement, coming from someone who doesn't even know me as a person, just points to your need for others to somehow express, publically I might add, their passion for the past so that you may consider them worthy. How do you know I am antipathic towards history, locally or otherwise? Just because I honestly can't be bothered with an Orange Parade, and consider it to be archaic? What do we really need to do? Show up at Fort York in period uniforms roleplaying for your sake before we are deemed worthy? Others are free to do what they wanted, how does that constitute my "bitter opposition" to the past?

And for your record, the past destroyed itself in the process of being present. I have nothing to do with it.

PS: I think we are getting seriously, seriously off topic.

AoD

"If that isn't an advocacy of some strict form of unitary control over/expression of the urban realm, I don't know what is. Note in other threads you are also insistent that we somehow "grow" out of our current polymorphic urban identity and somehow acquire one predicated upon "historical achievements".

I'm sorry but this is not in context, and I don't see the relevance to the allegations you make. I don't see any evidence here of me advocating for 'a strict form of unitary control over/expression of the urban realm'. This is a gross extrapolation, that has absolutely no (con)textual grounding.

" When mythologizing is applied more or less universally, a city would be far busier trying to maintain that mythology than changing."

I would beg to differ. Are Paris or London, among other possible examples, constrained and stifled by any sort of perceived 'universality' of mythology? On the contrary, as mentioned in the begining of this thread look at how London has been re-envisioning itself. Not through turning its back on its past, but by adding to the rich layers of its evolving identity.

"Notice I've said I am against any single person (and group) coming up with their own myth and consider it to be the defacto goal for the city as a whole. Certainly, your version of it"

Not at all. I agree with you. A mythology that works for Toronto must be one that is embraced by, and perceived by all Torontonians to be relevant to all Torontonians. Again, coming back to Levi-Strauss, a mythology shared is really about a shared understanding of the values we have in common as a people.

My advocating for the importance of history is not because I'd love to see us all prancing around in tricorn hats and crinolines, but because I think we get a deeper understanding of and appreciation for who we are now based on who we were. As I tried to offer in an example earlier, the very first settlers of Toronto arrived here fleeing persecution. Isn't that "founding" experience one that has been shared by successive generations of Torontonians from all backgrounds, to one degree or another? Isn't this particular link to our past one that resonates fairly 'universally' and that sheds a little light on at least one aspect of our identity? Does the War of 1812 tell us anything about the importance we may perceive in keeping our identity separate from the U.S.? Does the evolution towards 'peace, order and good government' say anything about us today? Are the roots of 'multiculturalism', which is also a part of our mythology, to be seen in these aspects of our past?

"PS: I think we are getting seriously, seriously off topic."

Thank you for acknowleding this.

Moreover, I really don't think we are 'understanding' one another which is a shame, not to mention frustrating.

Back