News   May 03, 2024
 961     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 591     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 283     0 

Living Bridges/Bloor Viaduct (Tye Farrow)

Anyone else getting Medieval London Bridge vibes?
claude_de_jongh_-_view_of_london_bridge_-_google_art_project_bridge.jpg

*source

Attachments

• claude_de_jongh_-_view_of_london_bridge_-_google_art_project_bridge.jpg
    claude_de_jongh_-_view_of_london_bridge_-_google_art_project_bridge.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 581
There are elements here that appeal to me. The design itself is not unattractive; but the innovation on building assembly, lowering cost, while maintaining or enhancing aesthetics shows great promise.

That said, I have great reservations about doing this over ravines/valleys.

Most particularly with respect to light pollution. Already a very big issue in the urban environment, this design would have the potential to broadcast light up and down the valley corridor.

From a more human-centric perspective, I would like to see what the emergency servicing plan looks like; were I to assume parking is not contemplated would we stop the ambulance or fire truck mid-bridge?

Were any parking included, you would require ramps, presumably off-bridge.

I think this concept on bridges which are not historical, and further removed from significant nature would be interesting and useful, though likely not the scale envisioned here.

Last edited:
Wow, the sixties called. I understand this is only a concept, but would it be possible to fantasize about building it somewhere else? The Bloor Street Viaduct is the only architecturally significant bridge we have, aside from the Calatrava pedestrian/cycle bridge, and it would be a shame to obscure it.

This proposal would make the existing bridge more architecturally significant than it is at the moment. It's a bridge that's important to the city and has an interesting history, but it would become an internationally noted landmark with this proposal that literally and figuratively builds on the old.

This proposal would make the existing bridge more architecturally significant than it is at the moment. It's a bridge that's important to the city and has an interesting history, but it would become an internationally noted landmark with this proposal that literally and figuratively builds on the old.
I agree that this will be notable if it's ever built, but perhaps we could obscure one of our more usual crap bridges. The Leaside Bridge comes to mind. And with DRL there might even be a nearby subway stop in, say, 2090.

I agree that this will be notable if it's ever built, but perhaps we could obscure one of our more usual crap bridges. The Leaside Bridge comes to mind. And with DRL there might even be a nearby subway stop in, say, 2090.

This proposal doesn't obscure the existing bridge. It only changes the railings and removes the Luminous Veil, which itself isn't original.

Back