News   May 03, 2024
 450     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 295     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 163     0 

Lithuania House (1573 Bloor St W, 12s, Zeidler)

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
LN-projektas.jpg

LN-PROJEKTas-2-768x498.jpg

LN-projektas-3-768x498.jpg

There's an article in the local Lithuanian newspaper Tėviškės Žiburiai - The Lights of Homeland (online only now, was a long-time print paper) about the annual general meeting for the Lithuanian House. Of note is that they are considering re-developing the property. I don't think anything has been formally proposed, but they've gone as far as researching the idea and getting and architect to mock up plans.

From the article, Google translated to English:
The architect, illustrating the drawings and video drawings on the screen, presented the possibilities of the third option in more detail. According to the proposed original plan, a multi-storey commercial building can be built on the current site. In the future building with a total area of 155,000 square meters. feet, it is proposed to install an underground two-storey garage (90 parking spaces). The first two floors of the building could be used for community needs, above which are residential apartments for rent. The current façade should be preserved during construction as part of the urban heritage. Three separate entrances are offered - for community premises, business establishments, and the third - for residents. The implementation of this project would change the image of this place, the surrounding residents would be satisfied, as the aesthetically changed environment would increase the value of their real estate.

Based on those renderings, it looks like this would potentially chop off the western end of the current building, where Bar Lokys and the credit union place is located. Along with redeveloping the couple homes to the west of it.

It is a good location to intensify, being close to Dundas West TTC, GO and UP station. While also reintegrate the Lithuanian community centre and contributing additional spaces.

lithu.JPG

Yikes this looks absolutely rough. Poor historical integration, bland streetscape which doesn't play off the existing heritage design at all, so-so tower design.

I dont know what this stretch of Bloor is trying to become. So far what we're seeing/will see are: oddly placed townhomes, low-scale highrises such as this, the disaster awaiting us at the northwest corner of Bloor and Dundas, the tall highrises proposed for the Choice Properties lands on the southeast corner. Im genuinely confused with what's going on. To be clear, I think the scale here is appropriate, but the approach to this specific proposal is a mess.

Based on those renderings, it looks like this would potentially chop off the western end of the current building, where Bar Lokys and the credit union place is located. Along with redeveloping the couple homes to the west of it.

It is a good location to intensify, being close to Dundas West TTC, GO and UP station. While also reintegrate the Lithuanian community centre and contributing additional spaces.

View attachment 372255

Hmmmm.

There's a laneway between the Lithuanian House and the adjacent properties.

This can be seen here clearly in this aerial pic:

1640909042540.png

A slightly pulled out look here, reveals that this lane in turn serves a rear lane for several properties fronting both Bloor and Indian Trl:

1640909125434.png

The named lane does not seem to have a westerly access point, only the N-S lane seen here.

While the lane does not appear to be one-way, it is exceedingly narrow; certainly there is no room for passing. (the N-S lane) I would find it odd to remove connection to Bloor, absent a widening of the lane further south.

I'm not sure if the lane is publicly owned at Bloor; but based on the presence of City signage the E-W lane and the southerly portion of the N-S lane would appear to be.

Streetview:

Looking north from Indian Trail:

1640909351887.png

Intersection with the E-W laneway:

1640909387919.png

* side note, does that garage's contents seem a concern at all to anyone? Just wondering....

Approach to Bloor, Lithuanian House on the right:

1640909428414.png

Yikes this looks absolutely rough. Poor historical integration, bland streetscape which doesn't play off the existing heritage design at all, so-so tower design.
........... To be clear, I think the scale here is appropriate, but the approach to this specific proposal is a mess.

This ^^^^

Thanks for the garage photo Northern Light. Finally I have proof there is one garage in the city that is messier than mine. Fortunately I'm too old to care or do anything about it.

I didn't hear anything about you passing the century mark........

If the new tower follows the property line of the corner lot, there would be enough space in the lane to allow a cul-de-sac.
Even if the project takes the house south of the corner building, there would probably be enough space for a cul-de-sac.
QHtxAEH.png

Back