News   Jul 22, 2024
 545     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 618     0 

Light/Power poles being wrapped to stop them being flyered

It depends where you are. If you're downtown, there's a lot more stuff to look at than posters on a board.
I'm just surprised that one would never look at the poster on the pole one is standing next to. You stand at the same spot for hours, there's only so many times you can look in the window of the same half-dozen stores.

I'm just surprised that one would never look at the poster on the pole one is standing next to. You stand at the same spot for hours, there's only so many times you can look in the window of the same half-dozen stores.

I probably would if I was uptown with nothing nearby. But there's tons of stuff going on downtown so I don't look at poles. I might glance at it to see if there's anything interesting if I was that bored of looking out for the bus. But since downtown is so close by, I might just walk one or two stops (stops are fairly close together downtown) if the streetcar is not within sight.

Why wouldn't you even look at these when standing around at a bus stop?
Partly because most postering situations quickly degenerate into a ragged mess of tattered scraps slapped on top of one another. Also, many posters are fixed to posts where people are just walking right on by. I would like to fix some video cameras on those posts to record all the people walking right past them and taking no notice whatever. It would be a good illustration of how street posturing works in real life as opposed to the way it works in posterer's imaginations.

But mostly, the problem is that most postering is completely untargeted. The event being advertised is usually of some pretty specific and limited interest, but because the situation of the poster puts it in the path of mere random passersby, the odds that anyone who actually does see it even cares about what it advertises are very low.

Last edited:
Just looked out window. Every pole I see that has hydro on it, also has either street lighting, or traffic lights.

I'm not sure how burying the hydro would have much impact on postering.

It wouldn't impact posting but it would get rid of all those unattractive wires hanging all over our city.

Since retiring, in the fall of 2010, I've had plenty of extra time to incorporate the removal of posters and flyers from the utility poles ( and trees! ) on my stretch of residential street into my daily peregrinations.

During the first year or so, it was a constant battle of wills between me and "them" ( whoever they are, because I've never actually seen one of "them" at work ... ) to see how soon I could remove the blight and how soon more posters went up.

However, beyond a certain point, I began to notice that the posterers weren't bothering to invade my street any more ... and I'm now in a sort of second retirement from my volunteer job! Clearly, they got the message.

Only if we had someone like you on every street. Maybe I'll do the same on my street, even though posting isn't really a problem here.

I have an idea. We should just fine companies that hire people to post on poles/bus shelters $2000 per poster found. The posters would disappear overnight.

These are on King St. West. The wrap has a sand paper texture and a nice aesthetic pattern. NOTHING sticks to this sand paper. Some persistent advertisers attached posters by wrapping them all around but a simple pull and the whole thing comes off without any residue. Hopefully they distribute this city wide. It'll make an incredible difference on Queen St. West.

Last edited:
These are on King St. West. The wrap has a sand paper texture and a nice aesthetic pattern. NOTHING sticks to this sand paper. Some persistent advertisers attached posters by wrapping them all around but a simple pull and the whole thing comes off without any residue. Hopefully they distribute this city wide. It'll make an incredible difference on Queen St. West.

Which part of King St W.? Just a few days ago, I noticed two people posting on the pole outside SDM at King and John. I was wondering what they were doing with a bucket.

Keep the poles. Keep the posters. I find nothing wrong with either and don't feel they negatively impact the urban environment. If anything, I'd argue that posters and poles enhance as they create spaces for community discourse. For example, in the City Place area they're often used to announce condo meetings or meetings on issues with Adam Vaughan. If not those, I see posters for dog walkers, movers, painters, and a plethora of other entrepreneurial endeavours, which allow people to make a living and reach an audience that it probably couldn't afford to reach through traditional forms of advertising. For an area that people seem to critique for a lack of community, these posters are a step forward.

I'd also suggest that "hydro poles are ugly" is an entirely subjective thing. I actually like them and have little issue with how they look (and I'm an urban planner).

Yeah, I don't get all the hate on the hydro poles and wires either. Maybe we should get rid of the streetcars too because of all the wires.

I still hate the postering though. It's not posters are bad. They are only bad if they cover every fucking vertical surface. Posters should be in designated spots. I don't mind that at all.

I have an idea. We should just fine companies that hire people to post on poles/bus shelters $2000 per poster found. The posters would disappear overnight.

Yes, trying to catch and then fine the actual posterers is a lost cause; if one wants to deal with fly-postering one must go after the companies whose posters they are. Some are big multi-nationals!

I concur about the complete postering of a post. It loses its focus and makes the post look like a smogasbord of litter. I really don't care if there are a few posters here and there. Unfortunately in this day and age, the lamp post ad is similar to the e-mail that gets filtered into one's junk mail box. You usually just glance at it then empty it out of your mind...much like a lamp post ad.

How does the pattern affect the aesthetics of the street? I doubt any pattern was necessary, so I can only assume there is an intention behind it - be it to deter posters by letting them know they'll have a hard time or to improve the aspect of the streetscape.

Keep the poles. Keep the posters. I find nothing wrong with either and don't feel they negatively impact the urban environment. If anything, I'd argue that posters and poles enhance as they create spaces for community discourse. For example, in the City Place area they're often used to announce condo meetings or meetings on issues with Adam Vaughan. If not those, I see posters for dog walkers, movers, painters, and a plethora of other entrepreneurial endeavours, which allow people to make a living and reach an audience that it probably couldn't afford to reach through traditional forms of advertising. For an area that people seem to critique for a lack of community, these posters are a step forward.

But 99% of posters on poles are multiples of clubs or bigger businesses, not your local dog walker. They're abusive and ugly and I'd rather they be limited. There are plenty of opportunities for legitimate community posters at community centres, condo lobbies, laundry rooms, etc.

Back