News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 598     0 

Light/Power poles being wrapped to stop them being flyered

gei

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the new black/textured wrapping that has gone up around light and power poles across the city (well, downtown at least).

I've noticed it around the entertainment district - not sure where else they have applied these.

Looks like they are designed to prevent flyers from being glued on to them... and they seem to work - I haven't seen any flyers attached to any of these...

At first it seems like a good thing - although on the negative side, people may now find other, less desirable places to put the flyers - they never really bothered me on light posts and I sometimes found them quite informative.

Haven't seen them myself yet but I know postering is the bane of many a BIA's existence, especially where decorative poles have been placed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they propagate through the City.

Perhaps it's psychological? When your surroundings look like a shanty town you treat them like one? People treat the ugly wooden poles like they do because nobody respects them.

Perhaps it's psychological? When your surroundings look like a shanty town you treat them like one? People treat the ugly wooden poles like they do because nobody respects them.
Those beautiful old wooden poles are ugly, but a concrete or steel light standard isn't?

Those who are paid to poster don't care what they stick the poster to. About 18 months ago I was standing in one of those new bus shelters, and a guy drove up, jumped out of a car, walked in, asked me to move, and postered the inside of the shelter, ignoring the my verbal tirade at him. They don't care.

Light standards can be far more beautiful than ugly old wooden poles, and you only have to look around the city to see that they do fare better... not to say that I don't agree with you that there are some who just don't care. That'll always be the case though and like anywhere else the city has to take steps to upkeep things.

Since retiring, in the fall of 2010, I've had plenty of extra time to incorporate the removal of posters and flyers from the utility poles ( and trees! ) on my stretch of residential street into my daily peregrinations.

During the first year or so, it was a constant battle of wills between me and "them" ( whoever they are, because I've never actually seen one of "them" at work ... ) to see how soon I could remove the blight and how soon more posters went up.

However, beyond a certain point, I began to notice that the posterers weren't bothering to invade my street any more ... and I'm now in a sort of second retirement from my volunteer job! Clearly, they got the message.

I saw posterer once and I got some glue splashed on me as I was walking past him, it was quite annoying. If you ever see a guy with a roller brush and a bucket of glue, it is probably a posterer.

I find it remarkable that in this information age, with so many more direct and effective ways of reaching people now available, there are still people who believe that sticking a piece of paper on a wooden pole is a good way of promoting something.

When was the last time you saw someone standing around reading a lamp post?

When was the last time you saw someone standing around reading a lamp post?
What else do you do standing at a bus stop. I'd have thought it was an extremely effective way of communicating, given how many people would read them. What I don't understand is why people would give business to anyone who advertises this way.

Why wouldn't you even look at these when standing around at a bus stop?

Why wouldn't you even look at these when standing around at a bus stop?

It depends where you are. If you're downtown, there's a lot more stuff to look at than posters on a board. You might glance at it if it's in your view. I'm normally look at traffic to see if the streetcar is arriving yet. Or else walk around a bit and look at window displays, people or cars passing by. I find bags are a more useful way of advertising. I notice reusable or plastic bags with corporate names on it. When I see a bag sometimes I think, "ahh this person was just shopping here. I wonder if there was any sale."

Back