News   Jun 06, 2024
 350     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 391     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 637     0 

Licensing Bicycle riders

Reading these threads here, I'll agree that enforcement really is the answer; the whack jobs driving and on two wheels really need to be stopped by police and dealt with.

Until more bike lanes are added and the two modes of transport can be separated, this kind of conflict will continue.

The time I've spent in Amsterdam and Leipzig was an eye opener - most bicycles had lights at night and traveled at a decent speed in dedicated lanes that had their own signals.

Last week on Spadina, I saw something new; a bicycle tailgating a slower bicycle.

And, as a sometime cyclist I urge all the drivers here to give cyclists some space. It's scary to have a vehicle pass you at 60km with two feet to spare.

The infrastructure cost of actually testing and licensing cyclists would be huge for what is still only a relatively small segment of the population. Justifying the expense would be very difficult.

So instead of licensing the riders, what about an identification system for the bikes themselves? The City of Toronto already has a bike registration program in place for the purposes of recovering your bike if it's stolen - what if part of that program was that they send you a license plate that you must display when riding on major City Streets between 6 and 9 a.m. and 3 and 6 p.m. (or whatever)

One of the challenges with enforcing traffic laws with cyclists has got to be lack of identification. If I see a car weaving on the road, I can call in their license plate number to the cops and report it. With a bike there's no such identifier.

I don't think we should be licencing cyclists. I think we should be fineing them, my self included as I ride bikes too, more actively when they do break, any, traffic laws.

Wanna run stop signs? Same treatment as cars including the points on existing driver's license, or accrued points for those who doesn't have one.

Wanna ride up in between cars stopped at traffic lights? Same treatment as dangerous driving. Same treatment for passing right turning cars from the crub side. You wait for him to turn and then you ride, or you get a ticket.

Set speed limit for bikes to 40km/h max. Anywhere. Can't judge speed? One warning to get a spedometer, second time same treatment as a speeding car.

And piggybacking on cars. If they don't like to ride then they shouldn't be riding. Inpound bike plus 500 dollars ticket. That'll solve that problem.

As for cars. Wanna pass bikes leaving only 2 inches between your mirror and his handel bars? Dangerous driving no exceptions. Require cars to be completely in the other lane when passing or dangerous driving.

enforce these and you won't have any problems

Last edited:
I think most cyclists know how to ride safely and legally, it's just that they don't want to. My friends make fun of me for turning left in the left-turning lane, and not crossing the street twice like a pedestrian. This is the kind of stuff the cops should target.

Licensing seems a bit much on one hand ... but on the other hand, I've seen signs up at my vet, saying I'm supposed to get a licence for my cat. My cat! My cat who never goes outside, and is terrified of an open door!

If we're licensing indoor house animals (do I have to get a licence for the goldfish as well?), then vehicles might make sense. After all there's more human deaths with cycling than there is from house cats.

I also think any increased enforcement of traffic laws for cyclists should come with increased enforcement of bicycle theft in the city. I'd be pretty pissed off if I got a speeding ticket in my car if it was a regular occurance for me to walk out of the grocery store and find my front tires gone. (And the cops didn't care.)

oh jeez. The answer is not to enact new laws and regulations but rather enforce the ones we already have.

We'll be nannied to death before we know it and need a license to leave our homes.

I don't think we should be licencing cyclists. I think we should be fineing them, my self included as I ride bikes too, more actively when they do break, any, traffic laws.

Wanna run stop signs? Same treatment as cars including the points on existing driver's license, or accrued points for those who doesn't have one.

Wanna ride up in between cars stopped at traffic lights? Same treatment as dangerous driving. Same treatment for passing right turning cars from the crub side. You wait for him to turn and then you ride, or you get a ticket.

Set speed limit for bikes to 40km/h max. Anywhere. Can't judge speed? One warning to get a spedometer, second time same treatment as a speeding car.

And piggybacking on cars. If they don't like to ride then they shouldn't be riding. Inpound bike plus 500 dollars ticket. That'll solve that problem.

As for cars. Wanna pass bikes leaving only 2 inches between your mirror and his handel bars? Dangerous driving no exceptions. Require cars to be completely in the other lane when passing or dangerous driving.

enforce these and you won't have any problems

The government could get a lot of money for their coffers too :D

Strict enforcement! Stiff fines! Mandatory Licensing!

You're all talking like typical constipated Canadians thinking you can regulate your way to a worry free life.

How about we all just chill and try to get along? You can't perfect the world, so don't try too hard.

Every day I see a motorist racing to pass a streetcar before the next parked car.
I see cyclists with earbuds running red lights.
I see pedestrians walk out on the road without looking because they think they can hear all the traffic.
I see cars cutting in front of bikes without signaling.

All sorts of dumb behavior from all sorts of people. You can't get rid of it.

I see people walking (with small kids and strollers) along bike paths when there is a sidewalk or beach boardwalk 20 feet away. It's dumb and annoying and I wish they wouldn't do it. But when I see them I slow down and pass them with plenty of room (because pedestrians are highly unpredictable). I don't lecture them and I'm not going to demand the city put up 'don't walk on the bike path' signs because they would still do it and...it's not that big a deal.

There are lot of cyclists downtown and they add to the chaos. But the chaos keeps everyone alert and slows things down and actually reduces the danger. It's not so bad.

It's certainly a much safer than in the more orderly suburbs because in the burbs, the driver's are lulled into inattention by their ability to cruise along at 80k on a six land road with a median.

Slow down. Stay alert. Be nice.

Last edited:
I think most cyclists know how to ride safely and legally, it's just that they don't want to. My friends make fun of me for turning left in the left-turning lane, and not crossing the street twice like a pedestrian. This is the kind of stuff the cops should target.

Even I don't do that! I think I would stop riding my bike if I had to go in the left lane like that. You're a very brave man.

IMO, cars are expected to change lanes, but cars do not really expect a bike to change lanes like that. Plus, there is the problem of no brake lights on a bike. I just don't see the point of turning left like that.

(I get off and walk the bike at the crosswalks)

I agree, using the left turn lane might be legal way, but it is not the safe way. I only turn like that on the smaller streets. If I have to cross two or three lanes just turn left, no way.

Really is this the answer to everything in Canada.

The infrastructure cost of actually testing and licensing cyclists would be huge for what is still only a relatively small segment of the population. Justifying the expense would be very difficult.

So instead of licensing the riders, what about an identification system for the bikes themselves? The City of Toronto already has a bike registration program in place for the purposes of recovering your bike if it's stolen - what if part of that program was that they send you a license plate that you must display when riding on major City Streets between 6 and 9 a.m. and 3 and 6 p.m. (or whatever)

One of the challenges with enforcing traffic laws with cyclists has got to be lack of identification. If I see a car weaving on the road, I can call in their license plate number to the cops and report it. With a bike there's no such identifier.

Couldn't a written test and licensing of all cyclists over 18 create jobs and income for the City? Think bicycle licensing centres located in the east, west, north and central areas of the City which administer similar procedures as motor vehicle centres with a cycling license similar to a drivers license. Add that to a prominently displayed license plate on the rear of the bicycle and enforcement by law officials and this could be not only a cash cow for the City, but drastically cut down the anarchy which currently exists on the roads (and sidewalks) today.

Strict enforcement! Stiff fines! Mandatory Licensing!

You're all talking like typical constipated Canadians thinking you can regulate your way to a worry free life.

How about we all just chill and try to get along? You can't perfect the world, so don't try too hard.

That's all good in an ideal world but there needs to be regulation as bicycle ridership increases dramatically each year. Over 1000 reported cycling accidents in 2008 says to me that there's a problem in paradise.

Couldn't a written test and licensing of all cyclists over 18 create jobs and income for the City? Think bicycle licensing centres located in the east, west, north and central areas of the City which administer similar procedures as motor vehicle centres with a cycling license similar to a drivers license. Add that to a prominently displayed license plate on the rear of the bicycle and enforcement by law officials and this could be not only a cash cow for the City, but drastically cut down the anarchy which currently exists on the roads (and sidewalks) today.

It could be a cash cow if the license fee was high enough, I suppose, but that would definitely deter people from taking up cycling, which isn't really the message the city should send. If I'm a guy who only takes his bike out a few times a year on weekends in the summer, the prospect of licensing is probably just going to discourage me from biking altogether.

I suppose you could temper that by only requiring the license to ride on commuter routes during peak times and even offer incentives to get licensed like free or discounted bike parking at city operated cycle depots (like the one at Union).

I've been riding a bike in this city for over 35 years. I can understand an argument to consider licensing bike couriers but a license for regular bike riders is ridiculous. I would simply refuse to get one if it became law.

Back