606     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 

Liberals lose a member (Pat O’Brien)

• Thread starter CliffColeclough
  • Start date
Re: O'Brien

gay marriage?

sure why not. it doesn't effect me. shouldn't deny others rights just because i don't get anything out of it.

gays in the military?

no. why? because should there be a big war and the draft comes into effect for some bizzare reason, i need to forge some excuse to stay out of the army. :b

klinger03.jpg

;)

I don't think Klinger ever said he was Gay. Crossingdressing does not = gay.

it's not about klinger being gay or not, it's about him going to great legenths to try and get out of the war.

Grewal

The fastest sinking politican since Stockwell Day. Thank you Conservatives, for bringing us more comic relief.

What a moron.

Re: Grewal

Today's Decima poll shows the Tories down to 23 percent, just ahead of the NDP with 21 percent.

Harper continues to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Today's Decima poll shows the Tories down to 23 percent, just ahead of the NDP with 21 percent.
And the NDP in 2nd place in vote-crucial Ontario.

Also, judging by today's Toronto Sun cover, it looks llike Sun Media may be joining the growing chorus of people suggesting a leadership change.

gta_news_canada200.jpg

Anyone have a link or able to post this poll? Im curious to see it. I have to say that Jack Layton and the NDP's have been very impressive throughout this parlimentary session and have handled themselves in not only a professional manner but politically have played the game very well. Even I am a bit surprised to see them making the kind of ground they have.

At this point, it may even be interesting to see them do a "Broadbent bounce" (cf. those late 80s moments when they were a strong second or even first in the polls)...

I could see the Liberals orchestrating a spring/early summer defeat, with the NDP perhaps not minding so much, given their high polling.

I'm impressed... the Conservatives just imploded.

Again.

We're up to what, five conservative implosions in the past six years?

afransen:

I could see the Liberals orchestrating a spring/early summer defeat, with the NDP perhaps not minding so much, given their high polling.

That would be very unwise - the Liberals capitalized and survived on the premise that Canadians wanted governance, not circus acts. To orchestrate their own defeat now, after surviving the confidence vote would be like shooting themselves in the mouth.

GB

I have no doubt that the election call will be made in the fall after the Gomery report is made public. Any action by the Liberals that the public sees as staging their own defeat would backfire in the polls. Sticking to the schedule to the word (i.e. calling the election at the moment the Gomery report is published) will win them bonus points in the eyes of voters. Voters need to know that Martin isn't one of the sponsorship boys and can be trusted and he needs to constantly fight to earn that trust because of what members of his party did before he became leader. He should also put together a spending plan so that any deal signed close to an election can be referred back to a plan that was already in place because naysayers have a problem accepting anything positive from government near an election.

Amusing thing I saw today on the subway: a John Frieda "Eye-Catching Blonde" hair product ad all written over with anti-Belinda blab

(Regarding this Grewal nonsense, something interesting from Don Hauka at The Tyee, found through MBLOG)

------------------------------------------

“The next day, Grewal rang and asked how could I possibly say he was politically inexperienced?

“That doesn't reflect my personality or experience at all,'†complained Grewal.

He had plenty of political experience. I patiently explained that the party staff who wrote the report were, apparently, unaware of this vast experience. What sort of expertise was Grewal referring to?

"Well, for a start, I advised Samuel Doe of Liberia", said Grewal.

Sometimes when you’re a political reporter in B.C. you believe you’ve heard it all – that this province couldn’t possibly throw anything more weird or wonderful at you (premiers who lived in castles, Gordon and Judi, etc.). But this topped everything. Doe had seized power in Liberia after a bloody coup in 1980 and been murdered in 1990 after an equally bloody civil war.

Picking myself up off the floor and scribbling notes furiously, I asked if Grewal meant the Sam Doe. Yes, yes, Grewal insisted, the Liberian head of state. He had advised Doe on a “green revolution†for Liberia.

Flabbergasted, I asked if he could prove this. Grewal cheerfully offered to send me his resume and with a decent show of hesitation (perhaps a millisecond), I accepted. The newsroom fax machine spat it out moments later. There in black and white, under the heading “Community Involvement,†Grewal wrote: "Recommended to and then helped the president of Liberia (Doe) to launch Green Revolution in the country."

Back