News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 933     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Lessons of the Miller Years

Some do that. Others are very frugal, and I just never comprehend on how some I know live on so little. Though I expect the food bank plays a larger role than I'm lead to believe ...

I wonder what the mayor after Rod Ford will be like. We've swung from the left, big government, huge spending Miller years to the right.

Had John Tory won over Miller the last time perhaps Ford wouldn't have had a platform this time.

Biggest lesson?

Don't surround yourself with ideological cronies. Throw a bone to people of the opposite political stripe, especially on committees.

Rob Ford has completely failed in this respect. To think people thought Miller was dictatorial... Ford is going to make Miller look like a cowering tortoise in comparison.

"Yeah, well, it's the fault of you lefties for not having a lefty David Soknacki who can work with His Fat Fvckness"

I wonder what the mayor after Rod Ford will be like. We've swung from the left, big government, huge spending Miller years to the right.

Had John Tory won over Miller the last time perhaps Ford wouldn't have had a platform this time.

I suspect that we will have more labour strife down the road and that the city won't do any better financially under Ford. Any tax freeze will simply result in a bigger tax hike later on. Of course, what is missed in the Ford message is the bogus sentiment with regard to tax payers. Reduced revenue means reduced services. Reduced services means the tax payers get less. Getting rid of the car registration fee means more property taxes, and cancellation of something like Transit City ultimately affects land values. That means more taxes for downtown, and that results in business flight to the suburbs - like Markham or Mississauga.

Hard to say what effect Tory would have had, but as a conservative he is certainly not cut from the same cloth as Rob Ford.

^ I don't know about you, but I'm still left wondering what all these 'great' serivce increase people are talking about.

short of 311... what's increased since Miller has been in?

All I see is shorter library hours, user fees for every possible rec activity.

I'm still waiting for someone to quantify this for me.

Do you mean the 12 million dollar shelter that has an operating budget of 2.4 million dollars ( or 60 k per bed) ... (what did they do before it opened this month?

Yes my councillors have received over 30 K in salary increases since 2003.... but what services are we talking about?

Just curious...

Oh, environmental impact aside, my garbage USED to get picked up every week, now it's ever 2 weeks. What did they do with that extra shift of employees?

^ I don't know about you, but I'm still left wondering what all these 'great' serivce increase people are talking about.

short of 311... what's increased since Miller has been in?
TTC service has increased significantly, both in the number of peak-hour buses, and also the restoration much of the off-peak services that were cut after the Tories cut funding to the TTC in 1995. The bus that goes past my office used to stop running at 7 pm. Now it runs at 1 AM (and I'm surprised how busy it is at 8 pm). The bus closest to my house used to stop at 10 pm. Now the last bus is 1 AM, and early-evening buses are much more frequent.

Garbage service has been much improved with those new bins. Now I only have to put 1 large blue-box out, instead of the 4-5 I used to use. Much easier. And on garbage day the sidewalks are passable rather than being filled with blue-boxes eveywhere.

And who needs their garbage picked up weekly? Most of the old garbage now ends up in the green bin, which is picked up weekly. Or the blue box. I've only got a medium garbage can and it's normally only half-full every 2 weeks. It's not like there is much in there smelly anymore, except the the occasional piece of sticky Saran wrap. Is this even a Miller issue? When did they go to the current every 2 week pick-up ... it must have been very early Miller if it was Miller.

Last edited:
2018? Given the inevitability of him having a coronary or the Ed-the-Sock sex scandal, I was figuring that the next election would be 2011 or 2012. :)
Miller was a fat guy once, though nowhere close to our angry Chris Farely mayor. Perhaps the mayor's office and the lack of gravytrain snacks will help Ford lose some poundage.

I've often thought that it must be a real commitment to get that fat. I mean you have to really eat, and then eat, and eat some more. And then you have to make a commitment not to move, I mean just getting off the couch and walking to the car burns a few hundred calories. Sure, once you're a real fat bastard then it's easy not to move, and the amount of food you need to intake to maintain your fatness is less, but still to get that fat you need commitment.

I must have quickly put on 10 pounds when I bought a car ... and funnily I lost about 15 when I parked the car and started taking transit (okay, the diet probably helped too ... but a huge driver for switching to transit was that after 8 months of staying at home with the baby and getting tons of exercise, and then driving for a couple of months, is that I could feel my body turning to mush ...).

So perhaps the solution to Ford's weight problem is TTC!

So perhaps the solution to Ford's weight problem is TTC!

peternobones.jpg

Back