News   Apr 16, 2024
 249     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 703     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 482     3 

Lesser recognized buildings in Toronto that you enjoy

Where the Stouffville GO line meets the Lakeshore GO line; that's the physical junction from whence the name arrives.

You can think of the Scarborough GO Station on the LSE as the neighbourhood landmark.

The geographical reference will tend to be used a bit more to the areas north-east of the station, heading in the direction of Danforth Road + St. Clair vs the areas south and west.

Yes, I notice that Google maps lists a neighbourhood name of Birchmount Park for the SW area within Scarborough Junction. Proximity to the Bluffs and Birchcliff was another thing I liked about the area, especially Birchcliff Coffee which brought some life to a strip of commercial buildings I've always loved and thought had so much potential.

Untitled2.jpg

They've since moved to the east end of the row into a building that's allowed for a significant patio space. Bookending the west side of this strip is a beautiful commercial building whose history I can't find much about, but it's definitely a standout in the area. The decorative stone near the top that appears to be the Rod of Asclepius might be a hint.

Untitled3.jpg

Bookending the west side of this strip is a beautiful commercial building whose history I can't find much about, but it's definitely a standout in the area. The decorative stone near the top that appears to be the Rod of Asclepius might be a hint.
It was a bank (CIBC?)--and I *think* it remained so into this century.

Thanks Marcus and Adma. Indeed it was a CIBC, a little more searching and I found some historical pictures here (8th row): http://scarboroughhistorical.ca/local-history/communities/birch-cliff/. Interestingly it's referred to as the Scarborough Council Chambers in those pictures, so it seems to have served dual roles when Scarborough moved their council meeting location to Birch Cliff in 1922.

First time seeing this in such detail. The West Ellesmere United Church, near Ellesmere & Pharmacy in Scarborough, which was designed by Zeidler and completed in 1958.

Although, according to this article the building is currently being placed for sale, and is reportedly also listed as a redevelopment opportunity.

ellesme.jpg
ellesme2.jpg
ellesme3.jpg
ellesme4.jpg
ellesme5.jpg
ellesme6.jpg

The Globe with an article on modernist religious architecture, including mentions about Wexford Presbyterian, Parkwoods United, and West Ellesmere United:

Great call, an absolutely sublime building; I wish we had more early modern buildings in Toronto. Hopefully it isn't turned into the base of some condo tower in the future.

Back