News   Apr 18, 2024
 170     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.8K     4 

Leslieville / Studio District

There is an CofA application for 20 LeslieStreet which is on the northeast corner of Leslie and Lakeshore. It may be a use change or a three storey addition but don’t know yet. I find this interesting as this entire area is heating up!

There is an CofA application for 20 LeslieStreet which is on the northeast corner of Leslie and Lakeshore. It may be a use change or a three storey addition but don’t know yet. I find this interesting as this entire area is heating up!

I don't see it in the AIC, can you link please?

Here you go:

IMG_6318.png

The information for 20 Leslie has been updated and it is underwhelming but interesting nonetheless. The application is to change some of the office space to personal services. Not sure why the city needs to approve this? What is interesting is that the architect is SvN which seems strange given the minor nature of the change. Does this mean the new space will be very high end?

Here you go:

Thanks.

The information for 20 Leslie has been updated and it is underwhelming but interesting nonetheless. The application is to change some of the office space to personal services. Not sure why the city needs to approve this? What is interesting is that the architect is SvN which seems strange given the minor nature of the change. Does this mean the new space will be very high end?

Its a second floor reno.

The shift in use requires a (minor) zoning change. Personal Service is not Office/Commercial.

Personal Service definitions vary slightly; but in general, would cover barbers/hair salons, masseuse, stuff like that, service as opposed to retail goods, but not office employment.

Does anyone know if the Canada Post site on Eastern Avenue is going to be decommissioned now that the new facility in Scarborough is open? It is a large site and today Sean Fraser suggested that there was going to be a push to use Federal lands such as disused postal facilities for housing.

Does anyone know if the Canada Post site on Eastern Avenue is going to be decommissioned now that the new facility in Scarborough is open? It is a large site and today Sean Fraser suggested that there was going to be a push to use Federal lands such as disused postal facilities for housing.

No idea what the plan is but that Canada Post site is huge. 😳

It can be seen to the west of the Queen and Ashbridge project.

DJI_0007.jpeg

DJI_0026-2.jpeg

Not too exciting but the owners of 20 Carlaw are requesting something at CofA. I would bet my life that it is for a change of use from industrial to either commercial or retail (Spaccio please!) Carlaw is quickly emerging as a key north-south retail strip and extends into the Portlands. Whatever it is I hope that it contains a coffee shop! Lol

IMG_7672.png

IMG_7671.png

By itself, the site is only a bit over 7,000ft2 which is comparatively modest in size for any redevelopment of scale. Though it could easily stand to be 3s residential, commercial or mixed use.

But it would be much more interesting if combined with the parcels to the north. (up to the laneway); that assembly would be ~14000ft2 and provide a wide variety of redevelopment options.

The immediate area has no hirise precedents, so absent something novel here, I would assume this tops out at 6s in a redevelopment scenario.

If the City allowed straight conversion to residential here. The width would allow for 4 units fronting Carlaw, An argument could be made for 4 laneway homes as well, or you could stack, and go with 8 Carlaw facing units, but likely 4 front doors.

By itself, the site is only a bit over 7,000ft2 which is comparatively modest in size for any redevelopment of scale. Though it could easily stand to be 3s residential, commercial or mixed use.

But it would be much more interesting if combined with the parcels to the north. (up to the laneway); that assembly would be ~14000ft2 and provide a wide variety of redevelopment options.

The immediate area has no hirise precedents, so absent something novel here, I would assume this tops out at 6s in a redevelopment scenario.

If the City allowed straight conversion to residential here. The width would allow for 4 units fronting Carlaw, An argument could be made for 4 laneway homes as well, or you could stack, and go with 8 Carlaw facing units, but likely 4 front doors.
With all do respect the size of a lot doesn't always restrict development density. As we get more density across the board we are seeing development happen on smaller and smaller sites.

When I walked up Carlaw two weeks ago I came from Commissioners to the south. One of the things that I really saw was that this area doesn’t have an expressway dividing it from the water. Also the Turning basin is much closer to this area than areas further west as it comes north. Finally I chatted to a guy in one of the businesses along Lower Carlaw and he said that most of the properties along here have been sold and resold multiple times over the last 5 years. There is no heritage along here to consider so basically a clean slate.

With all do respect the size of a lot doesn't always restrict development density. As we get more density across the board we are seeing development happen on smaller and smaller sites.

The word is due...........

Respectfully, I know what I'm talking about and have a very long track record to prove it.

I also suggested what density or development could occur on the site as it is currently constituted.

Back