News   Apr 16, 2024
 107     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 513     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Leaside and its Aerodrome

EDIT: Oops, I may have posted this earlier!
not a problem, always a joy to revisit old leaside

that map is from the toronto world newspaper in 1918, and was printed in jane pitfield's leaside book

also, that racetrack is not "the" thorncliffe racetrack, which was built in the early 1920s

Excellent - that's certainly a rare image!

I'm trying to imagine the location of that hill.

The bridge in far-background is a clue.

Thorncliff ski jump 1930.jpg

Attachments

• Thorncliff ski jump 1930.jpg
    Thorncliff ski jump 1930.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,144
that is so awesome!!

i know exactly where that is, it's between the 3rd and 4th holes on the e.t.seton park disc golf course

if you look at the runoff area of the jump, it extends out onto a "tongue" of land where the west don river makes a big curve

approximately here using geohack

the above link lets you choose multiple mapping services, i personally like flashearth for the aerial view, and bing map to see the bend in the river

that tongue of land is completely overgrown today, but i've been in there (it's a bit difficult to get to, but not impossible) and i have pictures

no sign of the ski jump's remnants, though

I'm trying to imagine the location of that hill.
let me help you out...

in this post of yours the "tongue" of land that was the ski jump's run-out area is clearly visible across the river on the far side, straight ahead... in the middle picture, you can see the jump on the side of the hill as the white area clear of trees... in the third picture, you can see the bend in the river and the overgrowth behind it even back then

let me help you out...

in this post of yours the "tongue" of land that was the ski jump's run-out area is clearly visible across the river on the far side, straight ahead... in the middle picture, you can see the jump on the side of the hill as the white area clear of trees... in the third picture, you can see the bend in the river and the overgrowth behind it even back then

Rudy's right on, the clue for me was the three (what I suspect are) hydro lines crossing the picture. The first lines crossed just south of the science centre.
So the ski slope would be between them and the rail bridge, basically just south of the end of Wicksteed, across from the archery range. Very cool!

Thanks all , I knew you guys would verify this. Some of the peeps over at V.T. think this might be the Don Valley Ski Club but they never had a jump there. It would be kind of the same view if you were looking south from Lawrence to the railway bridge sans ski jump.

Yes, thanks. I clearly understand the location now.

It's amazing that such a wonderful activity was being held in the "wilds" of the Don Valley in 1930.

Although, that's relatively close to the Thorncliffe Racetrack.

The cut on the hillside for the ski jump is still visible in this 1947 aerial.

aerial-skijumpsite_zps20ba1534.jpg

wicksteed business park

the wicksteed business park, 201-209 wicksteed avenue at leslie, starts to take shape

photo taken yesterday from the railway tracks, looking northwest, "scenic" condos in the background

wicksteed-business-park-takes-shape.jpg

just to the right would be the location of the cold storage fire mentioned several pages back in this thread (http://www.thestar.com/news/2007/02/01/3_firefighters_injured_in_leaside_blaze.html)

also, apropos of nothing, if anybody is interested in pilfering a few railway spikes in great condition --

spikes.jpg

:)

p.s. i was on my way to the end of wicksteed avenue to take pictures of the location of the thorncliffe ski jump

i have it located fairly precisely, although once you reach there, it's terribly anti-climactic

holler if you want to go there yourself and i'll post them

p.s. i was on my way to the end of wicksteed avenue to take pictures of the location of the thorncliffe ski jump

i have it located fairly precisely, although once you reach there, it's terribly anti-climactic

holler if you want to go there yourself and i'll post them

Does anything remain of the ski-jump structure itself?

Back