405     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 402     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 781     0 

Leafs win cup!!!???

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys up there think about this,.... Which N.A., sports franchise, a) most needs to win a title, and b) whose fans would go crazier than the Leafs???? and c) it would benefit the league the most.

I believe that Toronto would go nuts, and really release alot of years of rabid frustration. (Would TO go as crazy as Montreal and riot??) In hockey really only Vancouver could make a case, as Chicago won last year, and Rangers/Wings etc have won as of late.
The Cubs I think would be the closest challenger, as it's been a while, (102 years), but half the town is White Sox fans , and they just won, plus the Bears own that town. Chitown would go crazy for sure.

In basketball, Lakers/ Celtics have both won lately... in terms of prolonged drought 76ers (82), maybe a challenger, Its really hard to consider most other NBA teams as marquee franchises, in lite of relocations and expansion. Maybe... Warriors/ Knicks!!

San Fran just won the World Series, taking them out of the running....Red Sox , Phillies, Cardinals and Yankees all won recently....
In terms of the NFL, you could make a case for the Vikings....Eagles... philly would go nuts for sure...Cowboys??? meh?

So for a premier franchise, that would be counted as a marquee name, in it's league....It's got to be the Leafs, as the team most in need of winning a title????

Discount any expansion team from the last 25 years, thats not waiting, thats growing up!!
Lastly the state of the league always benefits from it's marquee teams winning, I think it would be good for the NHL to have the cup in TORONTO! Only the Rangers winning three/four in a row, would be of a bigger impact, in terms of exposure, and crossing over into pop culture. If the Rangers did that, I think hockey would enter into a lot of places like rap videos, movies TV shows etc.( When the Devils won, they even made Seinfeld!!) thoughts????

It seems so long ago now but the Leafs were a contender before the lockout. They made it to the conference finals in '99 and '02, led by Sundin, Cujo, and yes, Kaberle. My friends and I had trips planned downtown so we could be in the middle of everything if they went went all the way. They were so close!

Toronto went pretty damn nuts when the Jays won. If the Leafs finally did it, I'd imagine we'd be hung over for a week.

I think "Toronto the good" would shed some of that image, as the town reveled in the longest drought in hockey...!!!! In the biggest hockey town in the world, all the band wagon fans would jump aboard and I think cars would burn, Yonge ST WOULD NOT SLEEP FOR A WEEK, College kids would drink an extra keg ...or threee...... I think it would make the news around the world....
....looking like soccer hooligans in front of the world??????? Dare to dream, I guess.
Its hard to imagine how much Toronto has changed since 1967, the media coverage would be insane , the makeup of the city, would probably bind a lot of "new Canadians" to the great game and to each other, crazy how sports can bring people together.

Right, I forgot you were a quiche-eating Jays fan. Now it makes perfect sense.
Didn't know this was a Rangers-Celtic type of decision. Pretty sure you can be a fan of both, though I choose not to be. And actually, I don't like quiche.

You dont think you would enjoy the revelry of the city for a couple days??? I'm no Minnesota fan , but to see the city go crazy would be fun....
Actually, to be entirely honest, me and my gf have discussed this before (she also hates the Leafs) and if the Leafs ever win a cup, we'll leave the city for a few days to avoid it. It would be beyond insufferable for both of us.

Back