News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 679     0 

LCBO (1357 Queen St. West, Old Stoneridge, 1s, ?) COMPLETE

I guess the owners of this property believe the strip is about 20 years away from midrises?
otePZwF.jpg

Makes sense to generate some income and hold out 'til they control the entire block.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any neighbourhood in Toronto where the residents don't think traffic is a nightmare.

As someone who regularly rides the streetcar from its end at Long Branch to the Beaches, I can confidently say that outside of the downtown core, the streetcar moves the slowest in Parkdale. Many days, it takes the same amount of time to travel through Parkdale, as it does to go from Dufferin to Spadina. King Street's traffic is also not much of an issue, outside of rush hour. The problem with Queen Street's traffic in Parkdale is because none of the north-south streets meet properly at Queen - except for Dufferin and Roncey. It's a mess, and there's no easy solution.

I'm also not sure how this development is a "gross underutilization" of the site, since, as I pointed out, there is an empty lot almost next door to it. Like a literal empty lot - no parking, just weeds. Parkdale is not Dundas West - there are still several sites that are boarded up/abandoned, due, likely, to its reputation as a high-crime area. Plus, as urbandreamer points out, these LCBO buildings are often temporary, and can be easily redeveloped.

Not that I disagree completely, but why on earth does the LCBO *build* temporary buildings? Alcohol is a permanent part of our culture, why shouldn't the provider be? Not to mention that it could earn much more from its real estate holdings and deliver more money back to the people of Ontario.

I also don't get the reference to boarded up buildings etc. Which buildings are boarded? I can't recall any. There have been some renovations of existing buildings (even social housing), and the general trajectory is gentrification.

Yes, there are a few lots (what, three?) that could be developed, but I haven't noticed them being for sale (maybe they were I was gone from Toronto for a few years). People are probably waiting for gentrification to set in before they sell. I doubt sophisticated developers own those properties (the one close to Roncy on the north side has had that horrific strip mall render on it for years).

Parkdale does seem to have a bad reputation, but it's also pretty awesome (a point on which I'm sure Parkdalian and I will agree). Tons of people live there and like to go there. I cannot see why development won't spread there as soon as the WQW triangle is finished. That's in just a few years. So I still think this site is being underdeveloped. And, if anything, being a first mover would be a good investment for the LCBO - the area is already nice with great patios, brewpubs, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, restaurants, galleries, clothing stores ... even if it is not perfect by some antiseptic aesthetic.

Oh, and if we are talking about Dundas West, then I'd point to both the LCBO and the Beer Store as two of the only egregiously under developed sites from Ossington to Landsdowne (oh, and the bloody KFC!!!).

But I digress.

Back