News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 865     0 

Latest scams

Good thing I got title insurance when I bought my condo

When I read that article my thoughts went to a greater problem, that of property investors from overseas, in this and likely many cases from China, leaving our city’s desperately needed housing stock vacant for years.

I haven’t heard of any cases of title theft concerning non-vacant homes. In 2004-2007 we moved to Fredericton, NB. We didn’t leave our house vacant, but rented it out. And visited the house at least six to eight times a year.

When I read that article my thoughts went to a greater problem, that of property investors from overseas, in this and likely many cases from China, leaving our city’s desperately needed housing stock vacant for years.

I haven’t heard of any cases of title theft concerning non-vacant homes. In 2004-2007 we moved to Fredericton, NB. We didn’t leave our house vacant, but rented it out. And visited the house at least six to eight times a year.
The problem of empty property is exactly why the City has just started to impose a Vacant Home Tax. Not sure it will actually help this kind of thing but ....

The problem of empty property is exactly why the City has just started to impose a Vacant Home Tax. Not sure it will actually help this kind of thing but ....
Vacant homes are an ideal target for fraud. Force the locks, stage the place, set up credit cards or other financial bills to the address, etc. Though instead of mortgage fraud, vacant property is probably ideal for rental fraud, taking first and last from dozens of unsuspecting dupes before departing.

We now have the Domino's Pizza scam:

In a news release issued Tuesday, authorities say a dark-coloured vehicle with a Domino’s Pizza sign has been spotted in various retail store parking lots and that it is alleged that a female suspect poses as a customer, while a male suspect poses as a delivery driver.

According to police, the female suspect approaches the victim, asking for help paying for the pizza delivery fee with a debit card to pay for the pizza in exchange for receiving cash.

The victim is then convinced to help by letting the female suspect use their debit card to pay for the pizza in exchange for receiving cash. The victim is then taken over to the vehicle where they then provide the male suspect with their debit card.

The victim then enters their PIN number into a modified point of sale terminal that records their PIN and debit card information. When the transition is successful, the victim is then given another bank card that resembles their own, and the victim accepts the cash from the female suspect before leaving.

The suspects are now in possession of the victim’s debit card and use the PIN to make a number of fraudulent purchases and/or withdrawals.

Back in March, a Toronto Reddit user posted about their experience with another pizza scam when they were approached outside of Fairview Mall in North York by a woman who was unable to pay for her Domino’s pizza order.

“First he said his machine does not support tap payments. I took out my credit card, and was looking into his POS machine to see if it’s legit. Meanwhile he asked me if I am paying with credit card, and I said yes. He then said something about credit cards and HST, and requested me to pay by debit. At this point I finally came back to my senses, and told them that I don’t carry my debit card, ” the Reddit user went on to say.

The Toronto Police are urging the public to be “vigilant when conducting any type of debit or credit transactions.”

Along with being skeptical — most delivery services accept cash, so if someone tries to convince you otherwise, it is most likely a red flag — they also say that you should never hand over your card and to ensure that the card this is returned to you is your card.

Back