News   Aug 16, 2024
 165     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 623     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 828     1 

Laptop while traveling?

That's not very good. I don't even have a low-power consumption laptop and I get 6.5h.

6.5? That's absurd. In my experience most 6 cell batteries last about 90 - 150 mins depending on use. I'm guessing you have a 12 cell? I'm considering getting one since it's becoming quite clear that very few airlines are puting outlets in their economy sections.

How do these things happen? I've had three laptops, always with the best battery option, and I've never gotten more than 2.5 hrs, and that's with the screen turned down so you can barely see it.

the latest EEE PCs with the 6 cell batteries get up to 9.5 hours of battery life (battery life with wireless on/browsing etc is about 7 hours ± half an hour). and there are other models with similar battery life.

Funny how we're talking about Laptops while travelling. I had a flash job in Spain and had to run over here. I'm on my laptop right now... while traveling. So far, seems safe here and I'll always be with the laptop.

Re: battery - I have the latest generation 17" MacBook Pro. I get 8 hours with their new built in battery tech. Works great. I'm in the car right now, was scoping around for WiFi. Still got 7 hours left on the battery... I guess I'll be here a little while catching up on UT :D

How do these things happen? I've had three laptops, always with the best battery option, and I've never gotten more than 2.5 hrs, and that's with the screen turned down so you can barely see it.

It's a very recent change, I doubt my current macbook pro (3,1 generation I believe) gets 7 - 8 hours - I believe it would max out at about 3. The landscape for laptops being able to run on battery is about to change radically, in a very short-time, as current research technologies becomes common-place.
- displays technology - OLED technology will require much less power (OLEDs are currently being researched for both monitor technology and low power lighting in general).
- Hard drive (mechanical) will eventually be replaced completely with newer generation of newer generations of more efficient memory (non-mechanical) technology.
- CPU and memory will become more efficient as well as newer generations are released.

In short, I believe there will be some fairly big changes in laptop technology coming in a very short period of time.

In short, I believe there will be some fairly big changes in laptop technology coming in a very short period of time.

I hope you're right. Would be nice to see some of the newer battery technology compatible with current laptops so not everyone would have to shell out for a new PC. Aside from the bloated software that's usually pre-loaded onto the system, I'm sure most laptop users use just a small fraction of what the machine is actually capable of. Running office and web apps is a piece of cake for current machines. Of course things like solid state HD's and OLED displays would be nice, my current machine will probably serve my needs for the next 4-5 years or so just fine meaning a simple battery upgrade is all I'd probably need.

Doubt a new battery is going to work as well as you think - it is a combination of things that is giving the last generation of laptops more time on a single charge.

Doubt a new battery is going to work as well as you think - it is a combination of things that is giving the last generation of laptops more time on a single charge.

Mine is part of that generation :)
Still the 6-cell battery reeks, I was reading online of people claiming 8-9 hours off the 12-cell, which makes me really tempted...

It's a very recent change, I doubt my current macbook pro (3,1 generation I believe) gets 7 - 8 hours - I believe it would max out at about 3.

Only available in the latest generation of MacBookPro's: View the descriptive video here. I bought my new one this week just before taking off to Spain for this job.

I get 8 hours with WiFi on and just surfing the net and such. If I turn the second video card on and do heavy Photoshop or video work, the time goes way down to a still very impressive 4/5 hours. The most I've gotten was 9.5 hours with the screen brightness down and WiFi off.

Either way, this baby is my new workhorse. I don't need a desktop any longer and I can work without being plugged in for an entire work day.

Last edited:
Buying a new computer. Can MDG be trusted?

Sorry if this is OT, but I didn't see another computer-related thread. I'm currently in the process of buying a new laptop computer for school (as well for gaming and social networking) and I am seeking some advice.

After checking out various retailers (Futureshop, Best Buy, the Source, Staples and MDG) I've found that the Aptonbook from MDG combines most of the features that I want: upto 4Gs memory, upto 250Gs storage, CD/DVD rewriter, high res Eyecare display, ShockGuard Technology, Embedded Error Repair, Biometrics Fingerprint Reader, Web Camera and Microphone. Literally, the only thing it's lacking is Lightscribe. The 2 models they carry (L and XL) seem to only vary in the amount of Gigabytes offered and XL has Premium Windows Vista as opposed to Basic for the L. What really drew me in though was that in addition to the actual computer you get well over $1000 in free merchandise after mail-in rebates (Microsoft Software Bundle and game bundle including Call of Duty 2, Corel WordPerfect 2003, MP4 player, digital camera, backpack w/ optical mouse, TV tuner, flat-screen monitor, VOIP phone and 3 months free high-speed internet service from Rogers or Cogeco). The main webpage states I can get all this starting at $1499 (I'm assuming that's what the L will cost). Through a promotional link however I found the price for XL listed as only $1399.

That is about the price range I'm willing to spend (< $1600) so that works. The only other comparative deal I could find was on a Toshiba Satelite Pro laptop but only through the company website could I find this particular make. It was $1599 pretax & shipping and had features such as the fingerprint scan, webcam and graphics but lost me on its limited variety of provided software (it had Microsoft Office 2007 and Norton Antivirus on 60-day trial basis only but it did have Google Earth and movie-making software). They also throw in a free docking station. Then there's Lenovo but I think for what I would want, they are out of my price range. Because I'd like to pick it up in store vs. ordering online sight unseen, my top preference is MDG.

So now here's where my dilemna comes in. I was all set to visit a MDG showroom and discuss specifics when while googling the company I come across a storm of bad press about them. It was mainly people who had bought from them in the past and weren't satisfied. These forums are a bit dated now (the latest ones on RedFlagDeals and Epinions are about 2 1/2 years old) and were to the tune of false advertising and bait-'n'-switch sales tactics being used on non- tech-savvy individuals. I've also heard of inferior parts being used and a rude customer service staff handling the complaints. Things may have changed since then though as bad press tends to correct bad business practices.

I've been saving up for this computer for years now and don't want to get duped. I just want the computer to load pages quickly, not overheat and be able to host streaming media. So guys, tell me, is the Aptonbook from MDG too good to be true? Is it realistic to expect all the aformentioned features and bonus freebies for just around $1500 or should I just purchase something of lesser quality (and price) from the chain stores and then can customize/add features to it later?

Look at Dell, too. MDG used to make crap--I don't know if they've improved.

When I travel, I use my smartphone and carry my charger. I use it to watch movies, listen to music, take pictures, surf the net, and of course, make calls. It's in my pocket, on my person the whole time. Beats having a laptop most days.

For comparison, I think you can configure this machine to something equal/better for a lower price.

Thanks! I actually went to the MDG outlet store today and had my worst fears confirmed. The storeclerk didn't appear to even know what computer makes were being advertised and actually had to read off the company website to describe what features came with which make. He pitched a lesser model than the one I wanted, the Visionbook, which he claimed is even better than the Aptonbook for $899 and tried persuading me to make a deposit of $400 today for a sight unseen product (lol!). Then my dad asked about what safeguards are in place to protect against the laptop causing a fire and the clerk got very agitated like we did him something. I even asked him about all those mail-in-rebate promotions posted in their ads and he hadn't a clue what I was talking about. Um, yeah... buh-bye. Then I went to a computer dealership down the very same street and the reps there warned me not to buy from MDG, that they're crooks and if something goes wrong after purchase they'll do anything to not have to replace your faulty computer that they built. The guy went as far as saying I'd sooner recommend you buy from our competitor than MDG, that Canada Computers is better.

So far I've only been able to check online but now I'm going to scout out all the major retailers in person to see what works out best. That Dell offer looks quite intriguing and subtotals $1407 after my customizes.

Back