News   May 09, 2024
 566     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 850     1 

Kultura Restaurant & Lounge/King Street East

B

beaconer

Kultura Restaurant & Lounge/King Street East

I walked by the new restaurant/lounge Kultura at 169 King Street East for the first time last Saturday night at around 12:00-12:30am. A few of my impressions/opinions..

I was surprised to see how much of a crowd there was, lingering outside and inside. The crowd was semi-dressy, but definitely not casual.

The music was loud, not obnoxiously club loud, but probably loud enough to keep some who live at King George Square up.

It has a purple neon lit background wall motif that is visible from across the street since the street fronting is a large clear window that allow you to peer into the space. It has a very nice effect at night. The first floor is more or less a lounge the second is the dining, the third is a private room.
(www.kulturarestaurant.com)

It was just something that I have never really seen in this neighbourhood and I think it is a much needed addition to give KSE some sense of activity past 8 (or whenever the furniture stores close), beyond Hiro, Bettys, Eggplant & Toba,etc.

Anyone been?

Yes, I was there a few weeks ago, but just for drinks, which were very expensive (as expected). The main floor room is very nice but quite small, and the service was friendly. I haven't eaten there but they have an interesting menu, and they poached the sommelier from George (Kim Cyr), which to me indicates some degree of ambition to be a dining destination.

^^Thanks RJR.

When I walked by at 12:30am it certainly had a lounge/bar hangout crowd feel to it.

There are always people loitering about out front on Friday and Saturday nights.

That terrible sommelier has left George? Woo hoo! Maybe it's time to make a reservation at George again.

Stay away from Kultura

This is the worst restaurant in Toronto! They obviously have not considered that what matters in a restaurant experience is not just the decor but the quality of the food and service which both bombed. The nightmare occurred last night, when we went to Kultura looking to celebrate a special occasion. The wine was being opened and the cork was extremely dry and was starting to break into pieces. The waiter said he would bring another bottle, when what he did is just bring an "opened" bottle back. That was the beginning of the road to hell. We begun with a few expensive "tapas" that were a let down: Starting with the grilled shrimp swimming in a banana puree - battle of flavours. The Sirloin was full or nerves and fat - quite a nauseating experience in your mouth at $22! - I even had to return the chewed piece to my napkin! And when we thought we would be served a dessert - we waited for 40 minutes and finally we were irate. My boyfriend had planned a surprise in the dessert that NEVER CAME. to say the least as long as I am in this city no one I know should set foot on this restaurant. Kultura has no soul, no essence, no culture.
The worst is when the manager bring in a cheap sparkling wine as a symbol of piece - drink this cheap crap and forget about it - it was like pouring salt on a wound.

^Oh well you poor dear;) Please why didn't you just leave--without paying? I would've. Everyone has a bad day or week and your experience certainly wasn't the greatest but remember: some people can't afford to eat a home-cooked meal! Thus, I have no pity for you.

The worst is when the manager bring in a cheap sparkling wine as a symbol of piece - drink this cheap crap and forget about it - it was like pouring salt on a wound.

Sounds like you were lucky that he didn't bring out a bottle of ginger ale - which might have been more appropriate after your meal experience.

Please why didn't you just leave--without paying? I would've.

Sure. You can get charged for doing that.

Everyone has a bad day or week and your experience certainly wasn't the greatest but remember: some people can't afford to eat a home-cooked meal! Thus, I have no pity for you.

There will always be people in less fortunate circumstances. Does that mean we have no reason to complain, or should never post here about our experiences?

This is the worst restaurant in Toronto! They obviously have not considered that what matters in a restaurant experience is not just the decor but the quality of the food and service which both bombed. The nightmare occurred last night, when we went to Kultura looking to celebrate a special occasion. The wine was being opened and the cork was extremely dry and was starting to break into pieces. The waiter said he would bring another bottle, when what he did is just bring an "opened" bottle back. That was the beginning of the road to hell. We begun with a few expensive "tapas" that were a let down: Starting with the grilled shrimp swimming in a banana puree - battle of flavours. The Sirloin was full or nerves and fat - quite a nauseating experience in your mouth at $22! - I even had to return the chewed piece to my napkin! And when we thought we would be served a dessert - we waited for 40 minutes and finally we were irate. My boyfriend had planned a surprise in the dessert that NEVER CAME. to say the least as long as I am in this city no one I know should set foot on this restaurant. Kultura has no soul, no essence, no culture.

I hope you told the manager what the problems were. That, and doing what you've done - tell everyone about the crap experience you've had - are exactly the right remedies for this sort of thing. That said, unless there was cork in your wine or it was corked, there was no reason to send it back. The steak and the dessert are unforgivable though.

Kultura Restaurant... simply amazing

Kultura is an amazing restaurant with incredible food.... I have almost had everything on the menu and I love it all, except maybe the chicken cutlet, that was just ok. Great Decor and amazing staff. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.... I can not believe these 2 posts were made. I have been there 6 times so far and by far my favourite place to eat in the city.

I saw this thread pop up recently and so I immediately thought of posting here when I came across this random fact just now: Kultura is owned by The Pegasus Group. The same company that owns Philthy McNastys. Surprisingly, they don't acknowledge this on their website.

That is all.

Last edited:
Kultura is one of Toronto's most highly recommended and patronized restaurants, known for its cool, elegant décor and charming, friendly staff; not to mention their excellent, excellent menu. Enjoy meals like their seared scallop with wasabi pea, kohlrabi slaw, yuzu ailoi and garlic chive, or try their twice cooked beef short rib with scallion chili oil, tagarashi, water spinach tempura. Absolutely to die for.

Back